Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Penny's apartment decorating thread

^^^
    i recommend getting duvet covers instead. they're easier to wash and that way you can change the whole look without buying a new comforter/duvet.

ikea is great for duvet covers and sheets and stuff.
    and marimekko of course

marimekko:

overstock.com:

amazon.com (pottery barn)

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like the quilt idea,just surprised it was dry clean. All of mine,even the handmade ones are washable. In our climate,a comforter is just way too hot. They always look so nice-but not here.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sputnik, those quilts are lovely!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Penny, I have to warn you about that coffee and end table. I had the same tables and they did not stand up to the kind of wear and tear we subjected them to. We watch a lot of sports, movies, play video games and such, which means lots of remote controls, drinks, munchies, etc. Within a few months the laminate, which is really thin, started bubbling and chipping.

It depends on your lifestyle, I guess. We're not rowdy peeps, and we usually manage to keep our stuff looking fairly new, but these tables were not built for our way of living. If you don't really entertain in your living room, or you only put an occasional drink on them and don't have a lot of table clutter, they should hold up a lot better. Otherwise, I would think twice about spending $ on them.

IKEA stuff is usually pretty good quality for the price, but these tables were a big disappointment.

Have you been checking Craigslist for your area?

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    Penny, I have to warn you about that coffee and end table. I had the same tables and they did not stand up to the kind of wear and tear we subjected them to. We watch a lot of sports, movies, play video games and such, which means lots of remote controls, drinks, munchies, etc. Within a few months the laminate, which is really thin, started bubbling and chipping.

It depends on your lifestyle, I guess. We're not rowdy peeps, and we usually manage to keep our stuff looking fairly new, but these tables were not built for our way of living. If you don't really entertain in your living room, or you only put an occasional drink on them and don't have a lot of table clutter, they should hold up a lot better. Otherwise, I would think twice about spending $ on them.

IKEA stuff is usually pretty good quality for the price, but these tables were a big disappointment.

Have you been checking Craigslist for your area?
    Crap! This is good to know! Penny-Craigslist might be super-just take someone with you!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

do not get those ikea side tables, they're cheap and everybody thinks you're lame if you have them.

spend the extra 50 and get something sexy
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yea.. I'm not too big on the IKEA stuff... I'm on a college budget and all, but I think this is just one of the things I won't be able to scrimp on, especially since this is all furniture I'll be taking with me from place to place as I move around in the future.

The duvet cover idea is a good one.. I want something cool and fluffy enough to be comfortable in the spring/summer and heavy/substantial enough to warm me in the winter months. I'm going to have to look around more. Consider those tables outta here. Cheap ass IKEA.

^^^
    duvet covers are great for that. also, you don't have to bother with sheets, just the elastic one that goes over the mattress. so making the bed = throwing the duvet over the bed and fluffing the pillows up a bit. easy.
    what i do in summer is just take the duvet out and sleep with just the cover. that way it's like sleeping with 2 sheets - cool but still warm enough so you don't wake up at dawn freezing your ass off.
    when i was living in europe and summers weren't that warm, i had 2 duvets, a thick one for winter and a thinner, special 'summer' duvet.

i also second the craigslist suggestion for a coffee table. i love ikea but i was never able to find a decent coffee table there. shelves, sofas, chairs, kitchen stuff, that's another matter but i find the areas where ikea doesn't cut it are mattresses, coffee tables and their cheaper closets - those things fall apart.
    a friend of mine found the coolest vintage coffee table on craigslist for practically nothing. and at my last place i found an awesome french designer plexiglas coffee table from the early 70s (it was actually 2 tables, i forget what that's called when it's two tables that fit into each other or can be spread out for more space) for really cheap too. and in perfect condition. so it was much better quality than anything new i could have afforded then.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I want these!

OK.. so totally nixing the living room stuff I posted earlier..

I think I like this coffee table.. it looks sturdier than the IKEA one..

UrbanOutfitters.com > Mimosa Table

and then there's this one..

UrbanOutfitters.com > Danish Modern Coffee Table

some of the best pieces of furniture i've got in my apartment came from church run thrift shops. you'll have to search through the crap, but in austin i can imagine they've got enough college students around to have a good selection... try shopping around those also for coffee tables. (i also have been collecting etched clear glass plates from thrift stores and i now have the prettiest dishes ever that cost me less than a dollar each. just a good soak and a run through the dishwasher and it's good!)

also another idea, my apartment living room is kind of narrow so a coffee table is too much. i have a cushion ottoman and a square tray as my "coffee table". works for me since i tend to put my feet up a lot and it is extra seating in a pinch!

carpet stores are great for remnant pieces if you need a huge area rug on a tight budget. a lot of times they have big pieces left over that they'll bind with carpet tape for super cheap.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I want these!

those are my 2 favourites as well.

Marimekko! That's the name I was breaking my head trying to remember! Our tastes don't usually line up, but I really loved those bedspreads. Interesting and stylish.

ooo those tables are hot

you might also want to try some nordic mid century teak stuff, you can get some hot things at specialty shops
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I like the mimosa one-fab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information