Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our fixer upper

NorCal is so great....I'm jealous I hope you guys enjoy your new home.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Congratulations... there are definitely going to be some times when yall say "What the hell were we thinking!" just don't turn on each other and keep a sense of humor when the hot water goes out and that crazy stuff happens.

That 'what were we thinking' is already happening and we didn't even get in there yet. But the bones, the layout, flow, neighborhood and potential are so great. As soon as my husband and I walked in we both envisioned what it could become. My only worry is that the outcome really depends on how good the contractor and architect are. I will be watching the contractor and his crew like a hawk. I'm really eager to get it started but the house was so expensive that we're pretty much broke right now.

Zee

Congratulations, good luck gettting through the construction/renovation. We've done it with small children and it can be done. Just keep your sense of humor
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
    We just bought our first house last week in Burlingame, CA. The market here is still pretty expensive. So we focused on finding something we can expand and fix up if it's in the right neighborhood. We get the keys on Dec.27th and will move in at the end of Jan. So we have a month to do some minor fixing and cleaning to make it livable. The house was built in 1918 so we'll basically strip it all down to the frame and rebuild from the inside out. There will be new electrical, pipes, ductwork and basically everything. We plan on living there while the crew works on the place. We have three kids, a 5yo, 2yo and a 3month old. Has anyone done this before? Can you live in a house with kids while it's being fixed up? We won't do it all at once. We plan on living in one section while areas are being worked on.
    I did it, saimamom, it was hard but we got through it. My MIL was with us, and the son was only one month old (he's turning 21 in a couple wks). I still regret all the pounding and sudden noises, because for several years after that he would jump at sudden noises.

What I hated most was the chaos (construction workers do not have organized minds or habits - at least ours didn't) and the sawdust everywhere. We also had to keep our daughter away from the area in case of nails, etc. It only lasted 3 months though. I recommend older children for a remodel, which is what you have.

Good luck! Burlingame is nice for raising children!

Can you start remodeling it as soon as you get the keys? that way, when you move in, a lot will have been done by then.
    CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW HOME!
    Hub and I just found one of the weekend we liked! Our first home, too!

I wish we could afford remodeling everything at once. But we estimate it'll be $300,000-$400,000 total and a couple years to do it. We're first going to focus on termite tenting, ripping out carpeting and cleaning the original hardwood floors just to make it livable. If we can afford earthquake retrofitting of the foundation, we'll do that too before we move in. But like I said this house is so outdated it needs everything completely redone. I'm personally looking into making it a 'green' energy efficient house. My husband was a little nervous when I approached him about the idea. But I think it's a good idea. And congrats to cmmdee!

Mira, the thing that worries me is lead paint. The house is a potential health hazard especially for kids. I think the RV idea is one possible solution. I'd like to keep the kids out of the noise, dust, hazards that are unavoidable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information