Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My orchid quit me!!!!

Mine is running 1 leaf low. Just turned yellow. Still 2 green ones. Flowers OK.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Okay, mine came with a little sheet that covered basics for 6 different types of orchids. It says "Dendrobiums like it warm. They are very hardy." Then they say phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums are the easiest to care for; but it's confusing wtf distinguishes between difficult Dendrobiums and "Easy (phalaenopsis) Dendrobiums?
    Anyway, Phalaenopsis do not like direct light; they ar emore of a shade orchid. Now regular Dendrobiums must have ventilation; they'll get mold and you'll actually have to wash them with soap and water. Wtf? This one really like humidity and air movement; does that mean point a fan at it? Is there an orhids for dummies book? It says to fertilize fairly often.

Mine is supposed to have pseudobulbs and it "likes to climb out of the pot" This is becoming a bad horror movie. So maybe that's what my buds were? Duds?

Maybe the orchid equivalent of "April fool". I dunno,I may have to back to Cosmos.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

Some orchids like heat and some like cool air, but watering once a month is the norm for them, not sure about the kind you got but will check around for you. I know what you mean I received an orchid once from my daughter for Mothers Day and it was in bloom when I got it after the blooms fell I kept caring for it and the next year after I sit it out side in the cold, it bloomed, found out thats what it liked.

Bronze Member

Try going to orchids.com, they have slc tutankamen pop, but I did not go through all of them to find the joga.

I don't have advice, but I sympathize. I've never had good luck with orchids!

A*O

Orchids are funny buggers. I had a whole clump of them in my previous garden which I negected and ignored and they still came back every year and looked fabbo for months on end with absolutely NO assistance from me at all. Then someone bought me an orchid in a pot that was supposedly 'bullet and idiot proof' and it became a dead stick within weeks......
    If they are planted in the right spot they seem to survive no matter what. Otherwise, forget it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Okay, I'm going out back and I plan to drop kick the pot and see what happens.

Wish I could help but for some reason all plants die in my presence that's why I have none in the house. Seriously I have the opposite of a green thumb.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I bought two about three months ago. One the purple one, still has all it's blossoms. The white one lost the flowers right away and sprouted some branches. I keep saying I'm going to repot them but never get around to it. I think they'd be happier in bigger post. They need special Orchid potting stuff right? I'll Googly and find out. I love them though. The are right above my kitchen sink. Maybe the steam from me doing the dishes helps them?

Same advice with any plant.

1. Look it up, research it's needs, etc. Do your homework

2. give a plant three strikes.

3. if the third plant dies, forget it as a plant and try something else.

This is what a number of respected gardeners (I believe Gertrude Jekyll is one) have said.

Also one of the key secrets to a good garden? The ability to be ruthless. If it is not working, you have to have the ability to rip out a plant and try other things. sometimes a good thriving healthy plant needs to go for various reasons(often because it was becomes too big for the given space and will Not take so well to major pruning, or some other reason like that). It still has to go for the better of the garden as a whole. Dig up and transplant it somewhere else or give it to someone else (if possible). If not possible, it must die for the greater good.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Also one of the key secrets to a good garden? The ability to be ruthless. If it is not working, you have to have the ability to rip out a plant and try other things. sometimes a good thriving healthy plant needs to go for various reasons(often because it was becomes too big for the given space and will Not take so well to major pruning, or some other reason like that). It still has to go for the better of the garden as a whole. Dig up and transplant it somewhere else or give it to someone else (if possible). If not possible, it must die for the greater good.
    Oh my lawd! Thanks ,Soj! I have just had an AHA moment! This is my major problem. From now on,I'm thinking of my plants just like I would a man!!! Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Oh my lawd! Thanks ,Soj! I have just had an AHA moment! This is my major problem. From now on,I'm thinking of my plants just like I would a man!!! Woo hoo!
    I have not(with a few exceptions I will admit) regretted following this path. It usually turns out to be the best way to go in the long run. Transplant if possible, or just cut it down if not. And if that third houseplant is still not making it and showing signs of dying, then give it to someone with a really green thumb, and find something else. There are so many plants out there(houseplants included) it is a shame for anyone to struggle endlessly with dying/underperforming plants. They are to be enjoyed and bring good feelings to you...not to fuss and fret over and mourn over.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I bought two about three months ago. One the purple one, still has all it's blossoms. The white one lost the flowers right away and sprouted some branches. I keep saying I'm going to repot them but never get around to it. I think they'd be happier in bigger post. They need special Orchid potting stuff right? I'll Googly and find out. I love them though. The are right above my kitchen sink. Maybe the steam from me doing the dishes helps them?
    You have I believe a phalaenopsis type... they'll keep their blooms forever.

I'm sure mine will eventually come back around.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I've successfully killed about 5 orchids (people kept giving them to me as gifts), then my husband got me one and talked to the florist about them. This florist said that we should keep it in a sunny place and water it once a week.

BUT, the watering was very specific. Put it in the sink and let the water run into it at the very lowest setting you can get for 10 minutes. Drain excess water and then put back into the sunlight.

I was amazed that even though there were no flowers I did this once a week and then a flower actually bloomed a year later!!!

We also have our orchid next to our kitchen sink and I've heard that sometimes they like getting that extra spray and extra moisture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information