Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My deck renovation is complete!

Looks super nice!! I know you and the family will enjoy it too

looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    The plan is to put a hot tub on it, but I haven't gotten that far!
    Make sure it's engineered to support the weight so you don't ruin all your lovely work.

Snicker at people who didn't: hot tub deck collapse - Google Search

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

It was a total replacement. You cant see from the pics, but there is extra posts/reinforcement under where the hot tub is going to go. We debated for a long time about recessing the tub into the deck, but the builder and hot tub people both talked us out of it. It's too hard to service when it's recessed, so there would be additional charges. And then if we ever needed to replace it, it would be really hard to do so. The builder said as long as I told him where it was going to go he would build reinforcement for it.

We always wanted to store stuff underneath, but it was never waterproof enough. I'll have it check it out now. We could only put stuff under there if we didn't care if it got stolen. I'm planning on widening the walkout area and re-landscaping and building a retaining wall on the left side.

Orange slice, I meant to make the risers and the bottom trim on the deck to be white to go with the railing. Forgot to double check before they started building. For reference, the size is 20 x 40. It is bigger than my first apartment. It's bigger than my garage.

We bought this house specifically for the yard. You can't see from the pics, but I have a whole extra lot as my backyard. The wide shot was as best as I could get because I hit the batting cage and couldnt go any farther. This fall, I'm getting 2 new sliding doors, and then next year is new roof, siding and gutters and this house is finally done! It only took 13 years....

Hell yea lets have a gossip rocks party on my deck! Come on over!
    Last edited by louiswinthorpe111; October 2nd, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

That is awesome, LW.

The best thing that ever happened to our deck was Mrs. Mohandas sitting on it in a t-shirt and pair of short shorts.

That really is kickass Louis.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    deck looks great!

but i will say, if you do decide to put the hot tub on the deck, make sure your piers are sound enough to support the added weight. i know i am biased - our deck is 2+ storeys up and we had to have a seismic engineer design it (it's not fancy, just don't want it to crash during an earthquake). when i asked the engineer about a hot tub, it was a no go for us.
    My BIL wanted to put a hot tub on his deck, but the engineer said nope. Now, since his house is flip-flopped (bedrooms down, living areas up) he'll put one on the lower deck.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That is awesome, LW.

The best thing that ever happened to our deck was Mrs. Mohandas sitting on it in a t-shirt and pair of short shorts.
    You're too cute. i want my SO to talk about me the way you talk about Mrs. Mo.
    MohandasKGanja and Lalasnake like this.

Very nice, lw!!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Elite Member

Party at Louis' house. I'll bring the Mimosas. It looks nice, I like it. I would love to have a deck, but so don't want to go through the hassle and cost to build one.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My BIL wanted to put a hot tub on his deck, but the engineer said nope. Now, since his house is flip-flopped (bedrooms down, living areas up) he'll put one on the lower deck.
    i think if we stay here a bit longer (since we have been unable to find a bigger house in our price range), we may just put a hot tub under the deck, on the ground level. then there won't be anything to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information