Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: The modern decorating thread

i demand a picture
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    i demand a picture
    I went back and edited to insert a pic of a similar one. Mine's just slightly cleaner looking as it has solid cupboards along either side instead of being leggy, and no frilly millwork or gingerbread trim.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

i'm not going to argue, you can think what you like. i'm here to enjoy myself.

Nostalgia! Tati, I had one similar growing up that was inherited from some relative. It was one of those pieces that was wood, painted to imitate wood. My mom painted it a metallic silver for me. I think it might have been radiator paint.

Why did people ever make those awful faux wood finishes in the Victorian era?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    i think the only ikea lamp i liked this year was the knappa ceiling light. very funky looking & relatively cheap.

---

sputnik, i found you a chair. it's called 'the sputnik chair'. (it's a mix of organic & industrial design - i quite like it.)

i love it!! i want it. and yes, it does kind of look like it's kissing your ass but that only makes me like it more.

i also have a knappa lamp. love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    So we'll be taking this chair with us when we move out of the inlaws place in January:

Of course it's hideous now, but can be refinished and reupholstered. I'm seeking fabric inspiration! We don't even know where we're moving to yet, so I have no reservations about doing this chair first and then using it as my jumping off point for one of our future rooms. It doesn't have to match anything we already have (we'll be leaving couches and such behind and starting fresh).
    sweet chair!

i think you should keep the light finish on the wood, but make it cooler, less orange. and i like the fabric grimm posted.
    here are marimekko's upholstery fabrics. Marimekko
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

is it wrong to murder your roomate for having awful taste?

He's got this broken down computer chair on wheels that we had shoved in a corner, we just sat on it to put our shoes on.. anyway, when i got the new dining room i had to shift some stuff around, and ended up putting one of my modern leather chairs in the same corner, and tossing that piece of crap rolly computer station chair out on the balcony.

Anyway he moves it back in, and im like.. why are you putting this ugly thing in our apartment?

Turns out it has SENTIMENTAL VALUE. His grandfather gave it to him OVER A DECADE AGO before he died.

It's like that, just puke grey and the back doesn't even go up or down anymore.

So he's just hanging onto this thing cuz his dead grandpa gave it to him over a decade ago and it's sitting in my hot living room fugging it up for NO REASON.

UGH!

I asked him "seriously? it's a dead grandpa chair? We don't even use it! it's broken!" but he won't get rid of it. He just hangs on to ugly, shitty things even if they minimally perform whatever function they were designed to do (ugly bookshelf still does the job of holding books) or, even if they are broken, because they have sentimental value.

ITS A FUCKING COMPUTER CHAIR, you can get them at any Staples for like 30 dollars. Fuck my decor.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^
    lol poor grimm. can't you tell him to keep it in his room?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^ Those are hot pillows. What makes regular pillows non eco friendly, if they're made from natural fibres?

Ok, dining room update: it is complete.

Last night a friend and I made a mad dash to IKEA, only to get there RIGHT as it closed.. so we snuck in the exit, snagged the table and got in line right as the last person was going through the cash. Of course, it didn't fit in the car, so we have to tear all the packaging off just to get it to squeak in.

We put it together at like midnight, while enjoying Mel Brooks on the movie channel and eating icecream.

This aft, i went and got my chairs (only got 3, the 4th needs to be dug out of some other warehouse, but whatever), hauled them back to my place in a van taxi, and then spent an hour scrubbing them with some baking soda and water (great cleanser, mild but really works) and then working on the stains with a little vinegar. Got them all done, so per the below.,.

as a sidenote, I appear to have the most kitschy retro-modern apartment in the fucking city. now.

It's a start but you need more color in that room, like this

No I don't, punches of color are good. Lots of color is not my thing.

Also that coffee table and oriental rug are heinous.

what you can't see are my chocolate brown roman shades drawn all the way up on the window, and the art on the other walls.

I did kind of want to replace the light over the dining room with a more colorful pendant type thing but I've spent enough right now lol

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Grimmy, can your roommate put the chair in his room, or stuff it in a closet somewhere?

BTW, I'm moving in with you. Love your style babe!
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

apparently he doesn't have room, because it's taken up by yet more hideous furniture.. he has a gross L shaped computer desk from EONS ago, held together with duct tape and a prayer that he refuses to get rid of.

here is the picture of fail.

That's also his tickety tack hot mess bookshelf from the 80's, with a fake wood grain.. i hate it so much but he won't get rid of it because "it still does the job of holding books and is perfectly fine."... nevermind that it's OOGLEY

clearly he deservers to be slapped upside the head, preferably with a piece of his ugly, falling-apart furniture.
    how did you end up with such an aesthetically clueless flatmate?

i have no idea.. i've manage to contain the fug to one corner of the apartment but it still irks me

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Or maybe pairing it with a lucite chair would be better, and provide some of the contrast I'm looking for...
    tati, if you're considering lucite, read this page.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think you should keep the light finish on the wood, but make it cooler, less orange. and i like the fabric grimm posted.
    here are marimekko's upholstery fabrics. Marimekko
    definitely marimekko. and check out ebay, too.

I did kind of want to replace the light over the dining room with a more colorful pendant type thing but I've spent enough right now lol
    don't do it.

and i hate that fuzzy orange ball ceiling light thing.

A*O

This website will make Grimm go moist.

https://www.mattblatt.com.au/
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information