Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The modern decorating thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    the floorlamp came from Ikea.. can you believe it? Back when they had SOME imagination.
    it is? great find. these days, it's impossible to find a nice floorlamp in ikea. they've got 4 different types of floorlamps : 1. heavy chrome ones 2. very very basic looking ones. 3. the ones that remind me of london hotel rooms. and 4. lamps with a more modern but cheap looking design. i think the only ikea lamp i liked this year was the knappa ceiling light. very funky looking & relatively cheap.

---

sputnik, i found you a chair. it's called 'the sputnik chair'. (it's a mix of organic & industrial design - i quite like it.)

that chair is pretty sweet.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

that chair kind of looks like it's kissing your ass lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

We have local homes on the market in our Sunday newspapers and i have to say those are much more attractive (and practical) than some of these. these may be high-end homes and while i don't always love them, and are small in comparison to these, they are family homes and considered good sized for the average upper middle class family. most have redeemable qualities as i suppose these do - the yard, you can replace the furnishings with your own. however the exteriors are generally attractive without the whiteouts or extremes. also i'm speaking suburban homes.

suburban homes = plastic, boring, cheaply constructed tacky hell.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

so where do you live Grimmlok?

my brother owns a contracting company and doesn't do anything in plastic or cheap, though i suppose boring and tacky are based on ones taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    suburban homes = plastic, boring, cheaply constructed tacky hell.
    So true. The suburbs are my vision of hell.

I frequently drive past giant new developments in Barrhaven that were farms when we first came here and they are hideous. All jammed up next to each other. All looking the like clones of each other. All in shades of beige. No identity. No soul. Cheaply constructed as possible. If you come by with the light at the right angle when the sun is low, you can see that the roofs sag slightly between every rafter and that's on a brand new roof that has never seen a snow load!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^ A former co-worker bought a big McBurb house in Aurora and within a year his roof was leaking and he had some kind of insect infestation that required a 3-day extermination process to get rid of (they were everywhere, biting him, his wife and their baby). He wound up hating it, but of course couldn't sell it as there were still brand new, customizable units available within the same development, and who is going to buy a lived-in McMansion when you can get a new one? Odds are he'll never see any money from that place.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

some of you hav not been to the right suburbs. developments are not everywhere. suburbs are simply towns outlying a major city.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    so where do you live Grimmlok?

my brother owns a contracting company and doesn't do anything in plastic or cheap, though i suppose boring and tacky are based on ones taste.
    I grew up in fairly affluent suburbs, which were typical of suburbs anywhere. Mom jeans, ugly furnishings from gross stores, no sense of style or taste. People firmly ensconced in their average suburban take the kids to school, go grocery shopping, sit in front of the tv every night lives. Rec rooms and ugly prints on the unpainted, white walls.

Unless you're buying a vintage house in a vintage burrough and updating it to reflect some modern style to compliment the retro design, then you're most likely living in a soulless suburban hell hole development

So we'll be taking this chair with us when we move out of the inlaws place in January:

Of course it's hideous now, but can be refinished and reupholstered. I'm seeking fabric inspiration! We don't even know where we're moving to yet, so I have no reservations about doing this chair first and then using it as my jumping off point for one of our future rooms. It doesn't have to match anything we already have (we'll be leaving couches and such behind and starting fresh).
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I would substitute the orange for a green. Superhot.

^ Pretty sweet - I don't know if I want something geometric or a free-form pattern. What about wood stain/paint colours for the frame?

- Kahlil Gibran

the stain it has now is a bit orange for my taste. I'd go lighter so more of the wood shone through.. or you could go the unexpected route.. darker, maybe black

That's kind of what I was thinking. I really dislike mid-tone woods actually, and the more orange, the more I hate them. I like dark espresso, but I've thought about painting it something funky too... though that might be hard to go back from in the future...

I also have a decidedly NOT modern vanity from a thrift store that I'd like to paint in some funky colour to contrast a bit with its old lady lines (will go in a bedroom) and I'm pretty torn on that. A high-gloss black might be perfect, but I was entertaining some crazy colours too.

I don't have a pic as it's covered in junk right now, but it's a *little* less country than this, and comes with a similar stool which I can reupholster:

Or maybe pairing it with a lucite chair would be better, and provide some of the contrast I'm looking for...

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information