Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The McMansions have arrived

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    lol... was the pink carpeting in the living room and common areas as well as the bedrooms?? my God...

My grandparents converted their attic into a bedroom for my mom's brothers in the 70s and the whole thing (this attic is HUGE) still has orange shag carpeting, and a bathroom with teal, orange, and avocado green "kaleidoscope style" lineoleum floors.
    Every single room in the house had that same pink carpeting except for the foyer and the kitchen, which both had ugly bluish-green linoleum. Even the bathrooms had that same hideous pink carpet. I wish I'd taken photos.

My parents' house still had its 70s color scheme until 10 years ago, and it still had 70s shag carpeting until the 'rents replaced all the carpets in the late 1980s. Hideous stuff, isn't it???

For that price, it would be cheaper to buy it and renovate it than buy a mcmansion.

I must be naive-i thought the mcmansion mania was only affecting California.

Oh, the horror!
    Coffee is my happy drug

No. They're all over the place here in Vancouver too. There's a monstrous one at the end of our block. DH will appreciate this -- it's a huge, ugly pink palace that can literally be seen miles away. They took out every living thing and the property was beautiful with mature trees and a gorgeous indigenous garden, poured concrete everywhere, built a massive house with a five-car garage and put stupid shrubs in pots all over the place. The house right next to it is almost as bad, but thank God the rest of our dead-end street is still beautiful with a ravine at the end of it. It never occurs to these people to build something in conjunction with the hood, not to mention the rain forest we live in.

This is happening all over the Lower Mainland to entire neighbourhoods. Then these idiots walk around the neighbourhood complaining that there are no birds or wildlife. Yeah, well, you took out all the trees and vegetation assholes, what do you expect?

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    For that price, it would be cheaper to buy it and renovate it than buy a mcmansion.

I must be naive-i thought the mcmansion mania was only affecting California.

Oh, the horror!
    McMansion Mania is ruining the rolling hills of Virginia horse country. All the people I know from the hunt clubs are having it affect even where they can ride now. It's nibbling away at fox hunting lands.

A*O

Hey PB - I'm not drawing any conclusions here but is Vancouver still known as Hong Couver?? Last time I visited (a long time ago) every single piece of land was being bought up by wealthy Hong Kong families worried about how things would turn out after HK was turned back over to the Chinese Govt. I was in HK in April and it didn't seem to be doing too badly LOL.

The thing with McMansions is that the developers are selling the LIFESTYLE, not just the big house with lotsa bathrooms. Most people still aspire to have the trappings of 'wealth' and status if they can possibly get it so these huge houses on tiny blocks of land still represent The American Dream. I know a little bit about real estate these days and Rule #1 no matter where you are is the old but true cliche - Location Location Location. Rule #2 is to remember that it's not the actual building that has an intrinsic value, anyone can build a house: it's the LAND it's built on. God's not making any more of that.

So you can have a magnificent McMansion complete with bells and whistles crammed onto a small block next to the freeway or under the flightpath or bang in the middle of 500 other identical houses and it will be a valuable asset PROVIDED there's enough people out there who would want to buy it. If McMansions ever go out of fashion, and I suspect they will eventually, and people decide they want quality land with a comparatively modest house instead of a fuck-off McMansion in a ghetto of other McMansions I predict there's going to be a lot of people out there with unsellable, and therefore valueless 'dream homes'.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    No. They're all over the place here in Vancouver too. There's a monstrous one at the end of our block. DH will appreciate this -- it's a huge, ugly pink palace that can literally be seen miles away. They took out every living thing and the property was beautiful with mature trees and a gorgeous indigenous garden, poured concrete everywhere, built a massive house with a five-car garage and put stupid shrubs in pots all over the place. The house right next to it is almost as bad, but thank God the rest of our dead-end street is still beautiful with a ravine at the end of it. It never occurs to these people to build something in conjunction with the hood, not to mention the rain forest we live in.

This is happening all over the Lower Mainland to entire neighbourhoods. Then these idiots walk around the neighbourhood complaining that there are no birds or wildlife. Yeah, well, you took out all the trees and vegetation assholes, what do you expect?

I have to give partial credit to the McMansion developers on my parents' street. They have left the trees in place except for one, which they cut down because it was diseased.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Hey PB - I'm not drawing any conclusions here but is Vancouver still known as Hong Couver?? Last time I visited (a long time ago) every single piece of land was being bought up by wealthy Hong Kong families worried about how things would turn out after HK was turned back over to the Chinese Govt. I was in HK in April and it didn't seem to be doing too badly LOL.

The thing with McMansions is that the developers are selling the LIFESTYLE, not just the big house with lotsa bathrooms. Most people still aspire to have the trappings of 'wealth' and status if they can possibly get it so these huge houses on tiny blocks of land still represent The American Dream. I know a little bit about real estate these days and Rule #1 no matter where you are is the old but true cliche - Location Location Location. Rule #2 is to remember that it's not the actual building that has an intrinsic value, anyone can build a house: it's the LAND it's built on. God's not making any more of that.

So you can have a magnificent McMansion complete with bells and whistles crammed onto a small block next to the freeway or under the flightpath or bang in the middle of 500 other identical houses and it will be a valuable asset PROVIDED there's enough people out there who would want to buy it. If McMansions ever go out of fashion, and I suspect they will eventually, and people decide they want quality land with a comparatively modest house instead of a fuck-off McMansion in a ghetto of other McMansions I predict there's going to be a lot of people out there with unsellable, and therefore valueless 'dream homes'.
    You're so right. This is clearly evidenced by looking at the builders' websites and seeing identical house after identical house at different prices simply due to the house's location. There is one construction in particular that is VERY popular in Austin. It's the one that had the pink carpet. I've seen that exact same house...same floor plan, same square footage...all over town at prices ranging from $175,000 to $350,000. It all depends on where it is.

Yes, Vancouver has been pretty much bought up by foreign investors. It's why the average person who grew up here can't afford to own a home anywhere near the city, much less in it.

It's really quite sad. I hope the houses will go out of style. The problem is that vast areas of land and a lot of beautiful old trees etc. will still be gone.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

The McMansion development behind me, the townhouse portion of it. Keep in mind these townhouses are selling for nearly 400,000 bucks.

Now these homes going in across the highway from the 500 house + behind me are currently going for 800,00 bucks and they aren't that big!

Who pays those kind of prices??

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Katy, Texas, but it's McMansionland. An entire town of pretentious people living beyond their means in McMansions that they can barely pay for. The houses aren't necessarily huge, but they're all "big" houses that are cheaply built and look exactly the same.

Last edited by southernbelle; October 19th, 2005 at 09:24 PM.

A*O

When we visited Florida in 2001 we visited that Disney-built 'town' near Orlando called Celebration (??) and it was CREEPY. All the houses were McMansions and apparently there are strict rules about the colour and style of drapes you are allowed, paint colours, garden plants, etc. The 'town centre' was a sterile strip of 'cute' cafes and shops (no alcohol served apart from lite beer) staffed by plastic smiley wholesome Disney-endorsed people. It was still under construction at the time and there were lots of realtor offices selling this ultimate lifestyle but personally I could not wait to get out. They should rename it Stepford.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^That sounds like my worst nightmare.

Mrs Gator, what IS it about the DC/Baltimore area? Maryland has got to have more townhouse developments than any place on the planet.
    Last edited by Lobelia; October 22nd, 2005 at 10:51 PM.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    When we visited Florida in 2001 we visited that Disney-built 'town' near Orlando called Celebration (??) and it was CREEPY. All the houses were McMansions and apparently there are strict rules about the colour and style of drapes you are allowed, paint colours, garden plants, etc. The 'town centre' was a sterile strip of 'cute' cafes and shops (no alcohol served apart from lite beer) staffed by plastic smiley wholesome Disney-endorsed people. It was still under construction at the time and there were lots of realtor offices selling this ultimate lifestyle but personally I could not wait to get out. They should rename it Stepford.
    You should see Columbia, Maryland. If you don't know where a gas station is, you are SOL because everything is hidden behind pretty buildings & trees & stuff. You can't paint your front door any color you want. If you build a shed, the boards have to run the same direction of your house. It's truly a weird place.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Silver Member

Default Museum District

Southernbelle,
    those pictures are exactly why we moved into the museum district. We are going to have to pay for private schools,because we are ONE BLOCK away from Lanier but I will be living happily next to the purple house! Until of course they gentrify the neighborhood and all of the artsy people move out...which I fear is any day now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information