Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 74

Thread: The McMansions have arrived

  1. #31
    Elite Member dexter7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    that mcmansion is seriously fugly.

  2. #32
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    They're doing this to a beautiful neighborhood in Houston called Rustling Pines. Most of the houses are older, but they are still nice homes. They look good together and are all harmonious. Recently, people have been buying the houses and tearing them down, building "McMansions" in their place that look totally out of place, as well as incredibly pretentious. The McMansions make the houses next to them look rundown in comparison. A bunch of my friends live in that neighborhood and they're extremely upset about it.

    Here is one of the originals:

    Here is the McMansion
    That is EXACTLY what is happening all over north Dallas. It used to be a normal, middle to upper-middle class area...and now all these rich cocksuckers are coming in and "gentrifying" it. I can't STAND it. I probably won't be able to bring my kids to see my childhood home because something like that Spanish revival piece of shit will be in its place.

  3. #33
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Trust me they would be. We moved 15 years ago to an area 60 miles outside of DC, a rural town, had a house built for a reasonable amount of money, a 4 bedroom Cape Cod, normal, not McMansiony. Behind our gated community was acres and acres of pristine farm lands. Last year the farmlands dissolved into 500+ McMansions with the same square footage as our homes but only five feet apart and so fancified it's sickening. The only good of it is that my house has appreciated 400% in five years. But I've lost my view and peace and quiet and hubby has had an hour added to his commute by the traffic.

    McMansions suck.

  4. #34
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    Trust me they would be. We moved 15 years ago to an area 60 miles outside of DC, a rural town, had a house built for a reasonable amount of money, a 4 bedroom Cape Cod, normal, not McMansiony. Behind our gated community was acres and acres of pristine farm lands. Last year the farmlands dissolved into 500+ McMansions with the same square footage as our homes but only five feet apart and so fancified it's sickening. The only good of it is that my house has appreciated 400% in five years. But I've lost my view and peace and quiet and hubby has had an hour added to his commute by the traffic.

    McMansions suck.
    EDS used to have a very large campus with a golf course near us, then they moved out to the 'burbs. That land sat empty for a long time before it was snapped up by real estate developers who built McMansions on it less than ten feet apart at $700k-$2 million a pop. Fuck me, that's INSANE. There's another large piece of land that was recently developed, closer to us; Reina would probably know the one I'm talking about. It used to be a single-owner property on Forest Lane roughly across the street from Rue de Lac and where that abortion doctor had his house.

    Anyhoo, when I was a kid I had a friend whose backyard backed up onto that property and since it was abandoned, we used to explore the pool house and the property in general. Boy, it was fun. It was a HUGE piece of land smack dab in the middle of urban north Dallas and fenced off on all sides. That land is now filled to the brim with hideously overpriced McMansions; it's absolutely disgusting.

  5. #35
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    EDS used to have a very large campus with a golf course near us, then they moved out to the 'burbs. That land sat empty for a long time before it was snapped up by real estate developers who built McMansions on it less than ten feet apart at $700k-$2 million a pop. Fuck me, that's INSANE. There's another large piece of land that was recently developed, closer to us; Reina would probably know the one I'm talking about. It used to be a single-owner property on Forest Lane roughly across the street from Rue de Lac and where that abortion doctor had his house.

    Anyhoo, when I was a kid I had a friend whose backyard backed up onto that property and since it was abandoned, we used to explore the pool house and the property in general. Boy, it was fun. It was a HUGE piece of land smack dab in the middle of urban north Dallas and fenced off on all sides. That land is now filled to the brim with hideously overpriced McMansions; it's absolutely disgusting.
    I'm wondering here when the madness will stop. Every free piece of land has been snatched up in the county since 9/11, had a McMansion slapped on it and sold to someone fleeing living in the nearby DC area. They're running out of room unless they start building on the supposedly federally protected Civil War battlefields. Surely not there I hope, it would be nice to have some large expanses of green left. They filmed large parts of "Gods And Generals" on those lands.

  6. #36
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    I'm wondering here when the madness will stop. Every free piece of land has been snatched up in the county since 9/11, had a McMansion slapped on it and sold to someone fleeing living in the nearby DC area. They're running out of room unless they start building on the supposedly federally protected Civil War battlefields. Surely not there I hope, it would be nice to have some large expanses of green left. They filmed large parts of "Gods And Generals" on those lands.
    It's like people nowadays think if you don't have 3,000 square feet with a fucking media room, three car garage, and five bedrooms, you're poor or something. If you have 3,000 square feet, you gotta CLEAN 3,000 square feet. But that doesn't matter, since nobody does housework anymore. They hire a maid. The 'American dream' has turned into a fantasy...bling, big cars, luxury items like big-screen TVs, and maids...and we're destroying the land to get it. Everybody aspires to this luxurious lifestyle. I don't suppose it matters that these McMansions are sitting on ridiculously small pieces of land. I've seen listings for 5,000 sq ft houses sitting on .18 acres of land. That is a POSTAGE STAMP. If the house was facing the wrong way you'd never have sun in your backyard because the house would block it out. It's so STUPID. But of course the property developers divvy up acreage into these tiny plots so they can shoehorn more houses in and make more money, and we...stupid sheep that we are...keep buying the houses that they build, so they keep doing it to make more money.

  7. #37
    Elite Member Glasgow53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, US
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Along with the wine cellars and media rooms, around here they tout something called a great room. What are these, castles? Great rooms just seem to be open family rooms. People are assholes to buy these things. What happens after your kid grows up, you and the hubby live there in this monstrosity of a house and pay giant heating bills for what? To look out your window and into the kitchen of the house next door, which is only 10 feet away?
    Keep passing the open windows.

  8. #38
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    It's like people nowadays think if you don't have 3,000 square feet with a fucking media room, three car garage, and five bedrooms, you're poor or something. If you have 3,000 square feet, you gotta CLEAN 3,000 square feet. But that doesn't matter, since nobody does housework anymore. They hire a maid. The 'American dream' has turned into a fantasy...bling, big cars, luxury items like big-screen TVs, and maids...and we're destroying the land to get it. Everybody aspires to this luxurious lifestyle. I don't suppose it matters that these McMansions are sitting on ridiculously small pieces of land. I've seen listings for 5,000 sq ft houses sitting on .18 acres of land. That is a POSTAGE STAMP. If the house was facing the wrong way you'd never have sun in your backyard because the house would block it out. It's so STUPID. But of course the property developers divvy up acreage into these tiny plots so they can shoehorn more houses in and make more money, and we...stupid sheep that we are...keep buying the houses that they build, so they keep doing it to make more money.
    That is what's so interesting/revolting about the McMansions behind us. They are built on a lot a tenth the size of ours, the houses exterior size is roughly the same as the ones in my neighborhood except they have three and four stories so they can have double the square footage.. I was wrong about the square footage earlier, I forgot they have one to two more stories so that would be roughly about, say 4000 to 5000 square feet. Who needs a home that size? I have trouble enough keeping one smaller clean I wouldn't want a bigger one.

  9. #39
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    That is what's so interesting/revolting about the McMansions behind us. They are built on a lot a tenth the size of ours, the houses exterior size is roughly the same as the ones in my neighborhood except they have three and four stories so they can have double the square footage.. I was wrong about the square footage earlier, I forgot they have one to two more stories so that would be roughly about, say 4000 to 5000 square feet. Who needs a home that size? I have trouble enough keeping one smaller clean I wouldn't want a bigger one.
    Hahaha, it's a pain in the ass for me to keep THIS house clean and it's TINY. I wouldn't want to clean 5,000 square feet...tho obviously if I could afford that, I'd have a maid. Hubby and I are looking for a nice 2100-2500 square foot pile in Austin, but it's hard to find those in a good neighborhood. The nice neighborhoods now tend to have houses in the 2500-3300 sq ft range. Can't win, why try.

  10. #40
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53 View Post
    Along with the wine cellars and media rooms, around here they tout something called a great room. What are these, castles? Great rooms just seem to be open family rooms. People are assholes to buy these things. What happens after your kid grows up, you and the hubby live there in this monstrosity of a house and pay giant heating bills for what? To look out your window and into the kitchen of the house next door, which is only 10 feet away?
    I hate those 2-story living rooms! It's RETARDED to build something like that in Texas, and it's retarded to have 'cathedral ceilings' since constructions like those trap heat and make it more difficult to keep your house cool. So do those "walls of windows." Ugh. Fuck me, some people are stupid.

  11. #41
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    The nice neighborhoods now tend to have houses in the 2500-3000 sq ft range.
    That's the range of ours and it's a pain to clean even as I have someone come in once a week to do the hard messy stuff. I hate it and keep threatening that once the kids are gone I want a one room mountain cabin that I can clean in ten minutes with very few possessions in it.

  12. #42
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    That's the range of ours and it's a pain to clean even as I have someone come in once a week to do the hard messy stuff. I hate it and keep threatening that once the kids are gone I want a one room mountain cabin that I can clean in ten minutes with very few possessions in it.

    Oh I KNOW! When we went house-hunting in Austin we were shown some absolutely GORGEOUS houses, but the smallest one was 2900 square feet and I hated its floor plan. All the others were over 3000 square feet. The largest...I will never forget this house as long as I live...was 4100 square feet with 5 bedrooms and a split staircase. I was wondering why it was only $199,000...then we looked inside. Holy SHIT...ACRES of pink carpet. ACRES. I can't even imagine how long it would take to VACUUM that place...it was just MASSIVE.

    BTW, that house is still for sale. We saw it in early March, it's now October, Austin's housing market is heating up, and that house is still for sale. It's probably the Pepto-colored carpet. I'd buy it if I got a $20k carpet allowance and weekly maid service.

  13. #43
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    Oh I KNOW! When we went house-hunting in Austin we were shown some absolutely GORGEOUS houses, but the smallest one was 2900 square feet and I hated its floor plan. All the others were over 3000 square feet. The largest...I will never forget this house as long as I live...was 4100 square feet with 5 bedrooms and a split staircase. I was wondering why it was only $199,000...then we looked inside. Holy SHIT...ACRES of pink carpet. ACRES. I can't even imagine how long it would take to VACUUM that place...it was just MASSIVE.

    BTW, that house is still for sale. We saw it in early March, it's now October, Austin's housing market is heating up, and that house is still for sale. It's probably the Pepto-colored carpet. I'd buy it if I got a $20k carpet allowance and weekly maid service.
    Shit! I need to move to Austin because after selling this place I'd still have a mint of money left from the sale after buying a house there...

    Pink carpeting? Were they mad?

  14. #44
    Elite Member southernbelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,578

    Default

    lol... was the pink carpeting in the living room and common areas as well as the bedrooms?? my God...

    My grandparents converted their attic into a bedroom for my mom's brothers in the 70s and the whole thing (this attic is HUGE) still has orange shag carpeting, and a bathroom with teal, orange, and avocado green "kaleidoscope style" lineoleum floors.

  15. #45
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    Shit! I need to move to Austin because after selling this place I'd still have a mint of money left from the sale after buying a house there...
    LOL...yeah, housing there is fairly cheap compared to other parts of the country, but prices have shot up noticeably since we were there six months ago.

    Pink carpeting? Were they mad?
    I think so! That's exactly what the real estate agent said. She had never seen the inside of the house so she didn't know about the pink carpet. She says she hasn't shown it to anyone since; it's not one of her listings.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Has baby Borat arrived?
    By MissVenus in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: October 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
  3. MissVenus has arrived!!!
    By MissVenus in forum New Members
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 13th, 2007, 01:26 AM
  4. Beyonce's bodyguard: "move, the beautiful one has arrived"
    By teforde23 in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •