Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The McMansions have arrived

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

And a waste of energy, literally.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    And a waste of energy, literally.

I agree on that too.

A*O

In true NIMBY style we bought the semi-derelict house next door when the old lady who lived there died precisely to STOP anyone else putting a hideous McMansion on the block. I'm in the process of making it into a native Australian garden which the locals think is really weird because in suburban Melbourne you put a house on every spare piece of land. I will post some pics when it's finished (I'm waiting for some more plants to be delivered from interstate).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That's really cool of you, AO.^ What a good idea.

we live on a bluff. the nice pristine hills below us are gone now-thanks to hundreds and hundreds of mcmansions built a year ago. These homes are huge, in the millions, with no land whatsoever. people are buying them up like crazy. i am getting claustrophobic. i want to move to the boonies to escape, but the rural areas will probably be carved up and built on too.

how do people afford these craptaculars?
    Coffee is my happy drug

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    we live on a bluff. the nice pristine hills below us are gone now-thanks to hundreds and hundreds of mcmansions built a year ago. These homes are huge, in the millions, with no land whatsoever. people are buying them up like crazy. i am getting claustrophobic. i want to move to the boonies to escape, but the rural areas will probably be carved up and built on too.

how do people afford these craptaculars?

By getting into debt up to the eyeballs? I don't know. I honestly don't know how anyone affords a $6 million house. My old stomping grounds in Dallas are jammed full of houses like this. I guess they're owned by "businessmen."

Wow that mansion looks so late 70's-very early 80's.. the age of huge houses for no reason
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sometimes i wonder if i'll ever own a house. things are so frickin expensive. where i live, your starter home is 1000 sq. feet and costing 180,000. and of course, it looks every inch the classic starter (ie, falling apart). i guess i need to save up mucho money so i can put down a huge amount down on an average home, which is 250 -300 thousand.

considering the materials used, it's amazing they get away with prices like that..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Wow that mansion looks so late 70's-very early 80's.. the age of huge houses for no reason

That's not a good photo of it. They were building it for a long time and I saw the finished product several times before I left the US in 2001; I had to drive past the damn thing to get to mom and dad's house. It's mostly brick but has a patch of stonework in there, obviously to convey an "olde worlde" feel. I saw it again this year and large parts of the front were covered in ivy. The house does not look 70s/80s; it looks like a modern McMansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    considering the materials used, it's amazing they get away with prices like that..

It's not the materials as much as it is the style, the size, and most of all the location. That's prime Dallas real estate there. That house is in the catchment area for one of the only decent public high schools in Dallas, and is very close to both Hockaday and St Mark's, which are prestigious private schools. It's also not too far of a drive to Greenhill, which is a hideously expensive private day school in Addison. It's also within walking distance of Jesuit, close enough to Ursuline, and Akiba Academy, which is a popular Jewish day school. It's also 2 blocks from this place:

http://www.cooperaerobics.com/default.aspx

Where the very rich in Dallas have gone to get in shape for DECADES. The spa is quite nice, though; they do good massages there.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    By getting into debt up to the eyeballs? I don't know. I honestly don't know how anyone affords a $6 million house. My old stomping grounds in Dallas are jammed full of houses like this. I guess they're owned by "businessmen."
    how do i become a businessman? where do i apply, what courses do i take?

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    how do i become a businessman? where do i apply, what courses do i take?

Business school, and you have to be crooked.

i don't pull a very convincing crooked. i best find me a crooked man!

They're doing this to a beautiful neighborhood in Houston called Rustling Pines. Most of the houses are older, but they are still nice homes. They look good together and are all harmonious. Recently, people have been buying the houses and tearing them down, building "McMansions" in their place that look totally out of place, as well as incredibly pretentious. The McMansions make the houses next to them look rundown in comparison. A bunch of my friends live in that neighborhood and they're extremely upset about it.

Here is one of the originals:

Here is the McMansion

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information