Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: McJag's weekly home organization assignment

AT LAST!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm in trouble. Movie fanatic that I am, I just found out that my tiny video store near me is selling off all their VHS movies for 1 dollar each. I think I'm going to donate a bunch of old paperback books to clear off bookshelves in my storage closet and continue my library. VHS tapes are dinosaurs, but for 1 dollar? She's gotta have it.

Elite Member

I feel your pain, Chalet. Buying movies was an obsession for me last year. I bought WAY too many DVDs. But a lot of them were cheap because of sales! I've promised myself that I won't buy any for the first three months of 2009, but that's going to be hard for me.

I have gotten rid of some magazines and books recently, though. And once I buy some taller bookshelves, organizing my DVD collection should get much easier.

my whole life is a home organisation assignment at the moment. or it will be in a few days when my stuff finally arrives from geneva.
    of the stuff i didn't bring with me, i bought a new sofa, new bed, new desk and i still have to buy a dining room table, coffee table and tv.
    but the worst will be unpacking all 51 boxes when they arrive.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes, m'am. I need to own. I canceled Netflix because I need to own. Bookshelves are great for DVD's. I can't have anything exposed, everything goes in the closet. Just the one's I'm currently watching will be laying around the tv.

Alphabetical order for tapes and DVD's? Does anyone here do that? I have visions of my library being coded according to movie star. I'm getting too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    my whole life is a home organisation assignment at the moment. or it will be in a few days when my stuff finally arrives from geneva.
    of the stuff i didn't bring with me, i bought a new sofa, new bed, new desk and i still have to buy a dining room table, coffee table and tv.

Congrats on the new purchases. You'll get an Oscar, a Cesar and a Brit Award when you finish. You speak Spanish, French, English and what else Sputnik?

Elite Member

I try to alphabetize my DVDs. It can be tough once your collection gets past 200, though. I'm thinking about catergorizing mine by genre: horror, drama, Criterion releases, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Yes, m'am. I need to own. I canceled Netflix because I need to own. Bookshelves are great for DVD's. I can't have anything exposed, everything goes in the closet. Just the one's I'm currently watching will be laying around the tv.

Alphabetical order for tapes and DVD's? Does anyone here do that? I have visions of my library being coded according to movie star. I'm getting too excited.
    yes, i organise dvd's alphabetically, and cd's too, by artist, and then chronologically depending on when the album came out.

and i also feel the need to own, but it's especially strong for books.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Congrats on the new purchases. You'll get an Oscar, a Cesar and a Brit Award when you finish. You speak Spanish, French, English and what else Sputnik?
    those 3 i speak well, other than that mediocre german and really shitty improvised italian.

and you can be sure i'll be taking advantage of our very own board decorator's expertise for when my stuff starts arriving and i have to arrange it all.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

Congrats on your move. We moved in September and all my boxes are still in the attic. We haven't even painted or set up furniture yet. We're so lazy.

After I took down the Christmas decorations I put up Valentines Day lights because my anniv. is in January. Then I cleaned out all of my drawers to make room for new clothes from Christmas. Anything I could donate, I did and threw out all of the holey things. I actually folded my underwear.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

From Butterfly:

To start on the OCD closet, you have to be certifiable crazy... Next you take the same shade of jeans fold them stack them you take the next shade fold them and stack them. Button up shirts you put them in order by color and sleeve length. Slacks you hang them by color. I fold all my knits and stack them on the very top shelf also by color... Don't need them much in Florida.... I could go on but I'm starting to bore myself.

Boy would I love to see a photo! Maintenance is a beautiful thing.

I pretty much tore through the whole house today minus the basement I need more warmth for that. I organized and got rid of at least 95% of the clutter today.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Zee

Basement is hardcore work. I've been going through and getting rid of old toys, decorations and getting the storage area organized by season/holiday. Next is my office- common reaction from new visitors is a look of horror.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I don't know a single person here who has a basement.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information