Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mallorcan Villa

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I'm SOOOO with you!

What is with Spanish food???? Everyone (ahem, Goop) raves about it but it makes me vaguely ill (unless it's home cooking by husband's family members.) Tapas suck in just about every bar I've ever been to, oily fish, oily potatoes, oily salads, salty ham bits, way too salty olives, salty eggs.

I do love real Spanish gazpacho.
    Just talking about the food makes gag - literally. I cannot stomach it, I'm always hungry there, which makes me cranky. I end up wanting to curl up in a ball and cry. Everything is so oily and gross. And what the fuck is wrong with the lack of SAUCES? Garlic is not a sauce! Just like tuna is not a vegetable. The food is so uncreative and terrible. And the stupid ass Germans went on vacation there so much, now they have Stockholm Syndrom regarding the food. There are tapas bars everywhere in Germany! I can't escape.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    And another thing about Spanish "cuisine". Why do they eat dinner at midnight? It can't be good for the digestion.
    I don't get that either. Here in Argentina they eat dinner after 10pm. I'm sleeping by then.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The villa is way too tacky Dynasty to be taken seriously. The German/British colonisation of large chunks of the Med is very depressing. They are probably the rudest, most arrogant people on earth and I'm sure the locals despise them (and spit in their tapas, hence the nasty taste). Many years ago it was possible to find little places untainted by Tourism but alas no more. The chavvy oiks are now taking over Dubai. Loadsa money and really farking 'ot for the suntan innit.

And another thing about Spanish "cuisine". Why do they eat dinner at midnight? It can't be good for the digestion.
    My FIL starts eating tapas at 6, and ends with anise and Lupini beans (vile things) around midnight. Under perfect conditions he has female relatives or waiters feeding him a continuous stream of different dishes and drinks in between.

Yep, the reputation of the Brits and Germans is such that Spanish daughters are forbidden any association with them (which is to say, I wasn't the family's favorite choice for an in-law by a long shot, as an American either. Tough shit for them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Just talking about the food makes gag - literally. I cannot stomach it, I'm always hungry there, which makes me cranky. I end up wanting to curl up in a ball and cry. Everything is so oily and gross. And what the fuck is wrong with the lack of SAUCES? Garlic is not a sauce! Just like tuna is not a vegetable. The food is so uncreative and terrible. And the stupid ass Germans went on vacation there so much, now they have Stockholm Syndrom regarding the food. There are tapas bars everywhere in Germany! I can't escape.
    My husband's mother was an amazing cook, but she drew on a wealth of international styles she picked up on her way. I wish I had learned more from here before she passed. His cousins aren't too bad, either, though the food is still so oily. Here's what gets me - every Spaniard out of their country bitches about food constantly. Some even insist on only eating their own cooking while visiting anywhere else. International cuisine horrifies them, as does anything with actual flavor or spices. Americans bitch about inconveniences. Germans bitch about weather and road directions. Spaniards bitch about food.
    Chilly Willy likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I only went to Majorca once, in the 80s before it became hell, and it was okay. Gearing up towards its tourist hell state, but okay. The beaches were busy but not so crowded you couldn't enjoy yourself. The streets were kind of overrun with vendors with stalls almost on top of each other trying to sell tourist crap. The food was pretty good and I do remember the pork as being amazing, but I didn't know it was some special dish.

I still have a leather purse I got from there at 16 or so for like $2 and its worth so much more. I will never give it up though.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I still wanna go, just so I can say that I did.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

count me in on the spanish food is overrated bandwagon. except for gazpacho. gazpacho is awesome and refreshing.
    except for catalan and northern spanish cuisine in the past 10 years which has definitely become more sophisticated and subtle. same with catalan and basque wine. rioja red though are gross and so strong and tannic i get a headache just looking at the bottle.
    as for jamón serrano, yeah it's good but i'll take subtler, milder prosciutto di parma over it any day.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information