Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Laundry styles around the world

Unstoppables are nectars of the Gawds. The one with the gold color top is my favorite.
    Mel1973 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I use the gain version. It smells so good.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^I'm a sucker for the smell of Gain.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I have a Bosch front loader and I love it! The clothes come out practically dry, and it cleans like a dream. I'm a hippie so I make my own detergent out of zote, washing soda and borax. I also throw in some vinegar and use a combo of Dawn dish soap and hydrogen peroxide. My whites are incandescent. . I used to use bluing, but I don't feel that front loaders have enough water to mix that well.

I love that. What is the 'recipe"?

I normally put in vinegar (kids are allergic to softener and it disinfects)

I use 1 bar of either zote brand or sunlight brand laundry soap, grate it up and add it to a pot of hot water on the stove. Let it dissolve. I add the pot of water with the dissolved soap to a 5 gallon bucket, add in 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of washing soda and one litre of vinegar. Fill bucket with water, and stir. It turns into a kind of slime, and I use about 2 tablespoons in my front loader.

When I'm doing whites I just add a squirt of dish soap and a shot of hydrogen peroxide in with the clothes.
    dougie likes this.

Sorry for posting twice in a row - but this is a legit laundry question!

My husband said he washed his jeans and they smelled like his dirty hockey gear after they came out of the dryer, so he washed them again, in warm water with soap and vinegar, and he said they still stink.

Any solutions?
    Bellatheball likes this.

^^lemon juice. Add 1/2 a cup to the wash cycle

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    ^^I'm a sucker for the smell of Gain.
    Me too. I even have gain car air freshener.
    KrisNine likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Unstoppables are nectars of the Gawds. The one with the gold color top is my favorite.
    Where do you put them in an HE front loader?

Got it. And you must toss them inside like she does.

There are so many laundry products on the market today that I dread having to walk down the detergent aisle at the store. Between the stain removers, perfumed additives, whiteness boosters, dryer sheets, and more, I couldn’t help but wonder: when did stand alone detergent stop being enough?

It was on a whim—and thanks to a high-value coupon—that I purchased Downy Unstopables several months ago. With a retail price ranging from $5–$7 per a roughly 10 oz. container, this product still wasn’t in the bargain range for me. Nonetheless, I gave it a shot.

After use, my laundry smelled nice (but I could get the same effect with cheap dryer sheets), so I decided to forgo its regular use there. But then it dawned on me: if I liked the scent, why couldn’t I use the product around the house for other purposes?
    And just like that, I have a new favorite product. These pelleted scent boosters come in handy for uses much more varied than just laundry. Considering how much mileage I get from all the additional household applications, a product that retails for about a half dollar per ounce suddenly seems like a bargain!

Here are some of my favorite uses:

• For the garbage disposal: Sprinkle a tablespoon into the garbage disposal and let it sit (several hours or even several days is fine). Water will eventually break down the pellets, leaving your kitchen sink smelling incredible. Need to get rid of an odor immediately? Simply sprinkle, run water, and grind the disposal as usual.

• In a pedicure soak: Rather than spend money on pricey bath products, I make Unstopables pull double-duty by adding to warm water during a foot soak. A teaspoon is all you need. I use the pellets as a soft exfoliater and then let them dissolve in the water. Heavenly!

• As a DIY sachet: Here’s a two-step DIY project for the kids. Take mesh jewelry bags (sold in multi-pack at craft stores like Hobby Lobby for 10 cents a piece or less) and add one-fourth to one-half cup Unstopables. Tie and place in closets, drawers, and linen closets as sachets. A small collection of these also make perfect grandparent and teacher gifts!

• With the kitty litter: To extend the life of your kitty litter (or to mask odors when there’s no time to clean the box), sprinkle some Unstopables in along with the litter. Mix in for best results. My feline never seemed to notice the change—but I did! A little goes a long way here.

• To freshen pre-moistened wipes: Have some unscented baby wipes, glass cleaner wipes, or a stand-up canister of antibacterial wipes that could use some scent freshening? Sprinkle a half tablespoon of Unstopables directly into the plastic container, and let the beads settle to the bottom. They’ll stay there for the life of the wipes in the container, infusing them with just enough scent to make the wipes even more pleasant to use.

• As a potpourri replacement: Unstopables can be used in any area you’d normally want to scent with potpourri. Fill a glass dish with some and place in a sunny window, with stored towels, in a bathroom, in a car or RV, or at the office. They’re so small—and colorful!—that their size will hardly be noticed . . . but their scent will! Caution: be sure to place any open dish OUT of the reach of small children, who may mistake the colored gems for candy.

• As a wax melt: My favorite idea by far is to use Unstopables in place of higher-priced wax blocks in a Scentsy holder or wax burner. Discard when the scent weakens; replace as necessary. Scents from two or more containers can even be mixed!

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/at-hom...y-unstopables/
    Last edited by Chalet; August 16th, 2014 at 12:54 AM.
    dougie likes this.

Lemon juice is my new hero! I had some bamboo face cloths that smelled less than fresh. They are now lovely!
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    Sorry for posting twice in a row - but this is a legit laundry question!

My husband said he washed his jeans and they smelled like his dirty hockey gear after they came out of the dryer, so he washed them again, in warm water with soap and vinegar, and he said they still stink.

Any solutions?
    Baking soda! A full cup in each load. I swear it's a game changer.

fgg

^i'm not a total idiot but i need clarification...you put it in the drum with your clothes before you start the wash? you put it in with colors and whites? it doesn't gunk up your washer?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

You guys I have no fuxking g clue what just happened. I washed my son's robe yesterday, it's a synthetic fleece material, washed before, this time it came out smelling like stinky unwashed dog. The smell reminds me of when's dog would dig up nasty dead animals from under the house. The crazy thing is I washed a favorite stuffed animal and blanket in the same load and they do not smell. The washer does not smell. I used method unscented soap and oxy clean powder. The thing smells disgusting, l kept sniffing it thinking I was losing my mind and it would make me gag. What the fuck?!?!?!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Wash it again in hot water? Maybe it absorbed all the stink from the stuffed animal/blanket other things in the load?

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It's in the wash by itself right now. It is so weird, the blanket and animal were clean, just threw them in. The stink is so fucking weird!!!!!!!!! I thought maybe having the windows open and I hung it on the back of his desk chair maybe it picked up a smell but nope, no fucking way could someone BBQ or whatever outside for a week to make that smell. Kind found some stuff online that says this can happen with synthetic fleece but wow, I have never experienced this before.

if my kiddo would not flip his shit I would have thrown it out it was that bad. Wtf?!?!! I'll see what happens. Off to google if I should air dry it or what.

some mommy forums are popping up when I search and saying it's the flame retardant. This is so weird, he's had this robe for 2 years and I wash it every week since he'll basically live in it if I let him. This is sooooooo weird.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    It's in the wash by itself right now. It is so weird, the blanket and animal were clean, just threw them in. The stink is so fucking weird!!!!!!!!! I thought maybe having the windows open and I hung it on the back of his desk chair maybe it picked up a smell but nope, no fucking way could someone BBQ or whatever outside for a week to make that smell. Kind found some stuff online that says this can happen with synthetic fleece but wow, I have never experienced this before.

if my kiddo would not flip his shit I would have thrown it out it was that bad. Wtf?!?!! I'll see what happens. Off to google if I should air dry it or what.

some mommy forums are popping up when I search and saying it's the flame retardant. This is so weird, he's had this robe for 2 years and I wash it every week since he'll basically live in it if I let him. This is sooooooo weird.
    Try to soak it first in Baking Soda. Helps also with sweaty smells. (or with smelly feet)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information