Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Laundry styles around the world

I'm in EU, use 3 in one washing powder (Henkel makes it, like Persil and 10 other brands I think) so I don't have to buy softener - I want it for the smell anyway. I spin the hell out of the clothes and air dry. Oh and I've been washing in cold water for 3 years because the washingmachine got Alzheimers and forgot all the programs. I have to click manually, so my washes are shorter now as well. Sometimes I miss the boiling option but this way I never shrink anything. Everyone in the family wants to surprise me with a new washingmachine, but I want this!!!!

edit: I do soak the choc and stew stains tho'

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

The Queen Of Clean's Laundry Quiz:

To test that red blouse to see if it is colorfast prior to washing you
    a. toss it in with your husbands underwear, if they come out pink it’s not
    colorfast.
    b. soak in a sink of cold water, if the water turns red, it’s not colorfast.
    c. Rub with a white cloth, if the color rubs off it’s probably not colorfast.
    d. Moisten a cotton ball and dab an inside seam, if the color transfers to the cotton, the blouse should be washed separately.

e. Everything falls into one of two categories: #1 The light wash (work shirts/sheets/duvet covers) or #2 the black wash (everything else) so I've never had to colourfast test anything. Makes life simple.

To remove blood from clothes you should
    a. cut the spot out and apply an appliqué.
    b. If you have blood on your clothes maybe laundry is not your biggest problem.
    c. Soak for hours in cold water
    d. You know that blood is a protein based stain so you moisten with cold water and apply a heavy coat of meat tenderizer to digest the protein in the blood. After 30 minutes launder as usual.

e. I soak them in salty water then wash as usual.

To whiten the kids white socks you
    a. buy gray socks, no problem!
    b. Pour on the bleach and hope for the best
    c. Scrub each sock by hand before you launder them
    d. Add 2 tablespoons or one tablet of automatic dishwasher detergent to a bucket of hot water, soak 30 minutes, dump into the washer and launder as usual.

e. *looks at the sock drawer* All our socks are black. Problem solved.

When you bring a new piece of clothing home you look at the care label
    a. then cut it out, who needs it hanging there.
    b. Cut it out and store it in the drawer with all the other piles of care labels.
    c. read it and hope that you remember that it says “hand wash”.
    d. Leave the care label in place so you can easily refer to it on laundry day.

e. Throw it in with the rest. I believe in survival of the fittest on laundry day.

On laundry day you sort your clothes by
    a. grabbing as much as you can and shoving it in the machine
    b. sort by type, all shirts can be washed together, right?
    c. sort by water temperature.
    d. Sort by color and water temperature, being sure to separate hand washables and delicates.

e. It's a light wash or a black wash. That's as far as my sorting goes.

When you are ready to pre-spot clothes, you
    a. why pre-treat, just add extra detergent.
    b. pre-treat what you can see when the garment is in the pile on the floor.
    c. laboriously go over each item of clothing to find the spots and pre-treat.
    d. keep clip-type clothes pins near the laundry hamper so that everyone can clip a clothes pin on any spot when they take the clothes off. You just look for a marked spot, remove the clothes pin and pre-treat.

e. Check work shirts. Squirt with stain removal stuff. Sling in machine. Wash. Everything else is black and doesn't show the marks.

To remove a grease spot from clothes you
    a. vow to buy bigger napkins and ignore it
    b. rub in some bleach, tie dye is “in” again
    b. scrub with a brush and laundry detergent
    c. know that “grease removes grease” so you keep a spotter of 8 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon glycerin and 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap on hand to work in and then launder as usual.

e. Squirt with stain removal stuff and sling in the machine. Yell at BF that I'll start sending him to work with a bib and how the hell is he missing his mouth, 'cause Gods knows it's big enough.

To remove underarm perspiration stains you
    a. keep your arms down – maybe no one will notice.
    b. cut out the sleeves, tank tops are fine.
    c. scrub with a brush and soap in hope that the discoloration will come out.
    d. Dissolve 8 to 10 aspirin tablets in warm water, saturate the underarm, soak 30 minutes and launder as usual.

e. Squirt with stain removal stuff and sling it in the machine (can you see a pattern emerging here?).

To fluff up down clothes and comforters you
    a. dry them in the dryer with lots of softener.
    b. hang outside and beat them with a broom.
    c. Spend an hour shaking and hand fluffing them.
    d. Put them in the dryer at the recommended temperature or on “air-fluff” with a couple of clean tennis balls.

e. Give them a half hearted shake and lose interest. Fluffy is overrated anyway.

To wash the plastic shower liner you
    a. throw it out, it will never come clean.
    b. Cut off the bottom every week or so to remove the soap scum areas.
    c. Lay it out and scrub with a scrub brush, wash with a rag, rinse and dry.
    d. Toss it in the washer with a couple of old towels, laundry detergent and a cup of white vinegar and re-hang to dry.

e. Don't have one but if I did I'd probably squirt it with something and then throw it in the machine.
    And this is why I've never had any trauma on laundry day.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

How much laundry do people outside the US have? I just did 6 loads over the weekend, not including sheets, shop/cleaning towels, dog's kennel blankets, and human blankets. Do folks in other countries have this much laundry? How long does it take you to do laundry?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

My secret to good laundry is to have someone else do it.
    sputnik likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I just used Oxy Clean for the first time and it did a great job replacing bleach. No more bleach.

i admit, i'm picky about my clothes and i will wash them myself. i have delicates that need to be hand washed so i do that. and then my other clothes i machine wash in cold water and hang to dry. i truly believe dryers are evil and ruin clothes.
    pyjamas, gym clothes, sheets, towels, etc. i leave at the laundromat for them to wash, dry and fold and then i pick it up. i don't trust them to wash my clothes though. i did a 'test' once and left them some stuff and was sure to tell them to wash it in cold water and not put it in the dryer and yet they shrunk a bunch of tops and it all smelled like dryer sheets so they're lying bitches and they don't take care of clothes so i'm stuck washing them myself.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I just used Oxy Clean for the first time and it did a great job replacing bleach. No more bleach.
    I always pick up some detergent with oxy clean in it. Most stains and/or dirt marks disappear. I'll pre-treat some stuff I'm not sure about.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    How much laundry do people outside the US have? I just did 6 loads over the weekend, not including sheets, shop/cleaning towels, dog's kennel blankets, and human blankets. Do folks in other countries have this much laundry? How long does it take you to do laundry?
    Three loads this weekend. #1 Work shirts and sheets/duvet covers. #2 Black wash. #3 towels and bathmat (only because there wasn't enough room in the black wash ). All washed/hung out/dried and brought in by late afternoon with plenty of time to do other more interesting stuff in between.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    My secret to good laundry is to have someone else do it.
    I don't mind the washing/pegging out part but after spending nearly 3 hours on it last night I would like to have enough money to use an ironing service. That'll teach me to ignore the heap until there was two weeks worth!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I'll disagree on American machines. Most top load machines have short wash cycles and longer dry cycles. The newer front load machines work in reverse. The wash cycles are longer but it uses far less water and detergent. The spin cycles are good enough that drying time is very short. I have a speed cycle on mine that gets laundry done in under a half an hour with cold water and does a fantastic job.
    that's what i mean. by 'american machines' i meant the typical top loaders. the 'newer' front load machines are only new in the US, they are essentially what washing machines in europe have been like for decades. top loading big machines like most americans used to have are unheard of in europe and it's only now that front-loading machines are becoming widely available in the US and yes, they are much better.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

I have a HE top loader washing machine. We used to have a HE front loader, but I like out HE top loader better. I love doing laundry, it's oddly therapeutic for me.

I've mentioned it before, but I hate the front load machines. I know I seem to be in the minority, but boy do I hate them. My clothes are always twisted, requiring almost everything to be ironed. The smell from that thing makes my towels stink. Then, I can't get the odors out, no matter how many washes I do. I end up having to take them to the laundry to have them done there. Fun.

I clean the machine once a week with bleach and the machine cleaner and I leave the door open. That seems to help it.

I wash the way my mom always did. Warm for colors, hot for whites, towels and sheets, cold for dark. I hang my jeans, bras and undies to dry.

I love my new front loaders. I mean, love as in I want to marry them.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Are there any internet ordained ministers in this thread?

13 People Who Married Inanimate Objects

The Architecture Of Her Love: Woman Marries The Eiffel Tower

Erika Eiffel has had a love for objects since she was a little girl.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Most people are like you, trust me, I'm in the minority. I have a friend or two that feel the same way. This is my second set and I still hate them.

I had really good top loaders before, maybe that's why.

At CVS with my 30 percent coupon it cost 7 dollars for 60 oz.

Just came out, bought some, liked it. However, now I want my wash to smell really good. Something happened with the fresh scent of Tide in the new HE front loaders that we got a few months ago (commercial in my building). I don't want a perfume smell, I want that freshly laundered fake smell you get from the detergent. I'd love to use the expensive boutique stuff but it's not practical.

Anymore brands you use?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information