Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Laundry styles around the world

A*O

I've always used a front loader and Australia seems to be converting too thanks to our water restrictions/drought and the higher cost of water thanks to Comrade Gillard and the Politburo's carbon tax. Our cold water detergents are pretty good so I never use a hot wash.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    European machines are smaller and take longer but they wash better, even in cold water. American machines are ginormous and are done in half an hour and you have to either wash everything in hot water or use a tonne of products.
    In Europe and chile (took my machine with me since chile is 220v like Europe) I washed everything in cold water and only use warm water for dish towels, light sheets and towels and everything always came out spotless. It takes over an hour and you can put way less clothes in them but the results are night and day.
    I'll disagree on American machines. Most top load machines have short wash cycles and longer dry cycles. The newer front load machines work in reverse. The wash cycles are longer but it uses far less water and detergent. The spin cycles are good enough that drying time is very short. I have a speed cycle on mine that gets laundry done in under a half an hour with cold water and does a fantastic job.

In Germany, I noticed my clothes wore better after washing. Maybe because it was air dryed. The detergent smelled nice too!

Has anyone ever gotten tiny holes in their shirts after washing? I was told it gets knicked on something during the spin cycle. This has happened in a top loader.

I use Oxy, but I never did a big comparision like they do in commercials I like bleach, but hate the smell, even the fragrant ones.

Has anyone used Rit Powder White Wash? I know you can get it at department stores or places like CVS here in the U.S. Not sure about other countries. I've never used it, but seems quite interesting.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten tiny holes in their shirts after washing? I was told it gets knicked on something during the spin cycle. This has happened in a top loader.
    The old top loader we have now has been ripping my clothes apart - catching the elastic in underwear and shredding it, or twisting and squishing the hell out of things so they ball up and don't get clean anyway.

We gave up and bought a new high-efficiency front-loader, and it's arriving today.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I have a front loader & the timing of the cycles range from 25 mins to about 2.5 hours; with varying temperatures.
    For example, MrN comes home covered in diesel & gear oil & his clothes get a pre-wash, a hot (90 or 60 degrees) wash & probably an extra rinse too. My cashmere gets the shortest coldest wash (25 mins?). I use a non-bio on 40 degrees most of the time but in summer it just doesn't cut it do I wash them hotter. I use a fabric softener too. I don't use biological because I'm allergic.

I use vanish oxy on the Mr's stuff, biological washing powder or any stain removing washing powder that is on offer.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    The old top loader we have now has been ripping my clothes apart - catching the elastic in underwear and shredding it, or twisting and squishing the hell out of things so they ball up and don't get clean anyway.

We gave up and bought a new high-efficiency front-loader, and it's arriving today.
    How is it Tati?

^ Pretty nice so far. We went with a Whirlpool, sight unseen, but I'm really liking the features and cycles. I didn't realize how awesome a "Delay Start" feature was - I can load the machine and set it all up before bed and it will start at 5am or whatever and be ready for me when I wake up without having sat around wet all night.
    kasippu likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Doing laundry the old fashioned way gets whites whiter and gets rid of build fabric softener build-up. I have an old pot that I use to boil my whites like towels and undies. Using Oxyclean or borax, I use a bout 1/2 cup in some water to dissolve it, then add some water, then the laundry and then more water to fill it. After bringing to a boil, continue boiling for maybe 30 minutes. Sometimes I do it the day before and just let the clothes stay in there until I am ready to do the rest of the laundry.

Be sure you are not using liquid bleach or Clorox on clothes that are not 100 per cent cotton. The bleach melts the synthetic material and creates holes. But if you want the worn and hole look this the best method to get that.

Using vinegar in your rinse water softens clothes. Depending on where you live, some areas have the softest water. I live in southern California so our water is super hard, we have to add stuff to it. Down south it isn't and you can end up spending a great deal of time rinse soap out of your clothes. In places like the Virgin Islands the water is super soft and it is easy to overdo the soap thing.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

^^It's about that boiling water. It's got to make an enormous difference.

The Queen Of Clean's Laundry Quiz:

To test that red blouse to see if it is colorfast prior to washing you
    a. toss it in with your husbands underwear, if they come out pink it’s not
    colorfast.
    b. soak in a sink of cold water, if the water turns red, it’s not colorfast.
    c. Rub with a white cloth, if the color rubs off it’s probably not colorfast.
    d. Moisten a cotton ball and dab an inside seam, if the color transfers to the
    cotton, the blouse should be washed separately.

To remove blood from clothes you should
    a. cut the spot out and apply an appliqué.
    b. If you have blood on your clothes maybe laundry is not your biggest problem.
    c. Soak for hours in cold water
    d. You know that blood is a protein based stain so you moisten with cold water and apply a heavy coat of meat tenderizer to digest the protein in the blood. After 30 minutes launder as usual.

To whiten the kids white socks you
    a. buy gray socks, no problem!
    b. Pour on the bleach and hope for the best
    c. Scrub each sock by hand before you launder them
    d. Add 2 tablespoons or one tablet of automatic dishwasher detergent to a bucket of hot water, soak 30 minutes, dump into the washer and launder as usual.

When you bring a new piece of clothing home you look at the care label
    a. then cut it out, who needs it hanging there.
    b. Cut it out and store it in the drawer with all the other piles of care labels.
    c. read it and hope that you remember that it says “hand wash”.
    d. Leave the care label in place so you can easily refer to it on laundry day.

On laundry day you sort your clothes by
    a. grabbing as much as you can and shoving it in the machine
    b. sort by type, all shirts can be washed together, right?
    c. sort by water temperature.
    d. Sort by color and water temperature, being sure to separate hand washables and delicates.

When you are ready to pre-spot clothes, you
    a. why pre-treat, just add extra detergent.
    b. pre-treat what you can see when the garment is in the pile on the floor.
    c. laboriously go over each item of clothing to find the spots and pre-treat.
    d. keep clip-type clothes pins near the laundry hamper so that everyone can clip a clothes pin on any spot when they take the clothes off. You just look for a marked spot, remove the clothes pin and pre-treat.

To remove a grease spot from clothes you
    a. vow to buy bigger napkins and ignore it
    b. rub in some bleach, tie dye is “in” again
    b. scrub with a brush and laundry detergent
    c. know that “grease removes grease” so you keep a spotter of 8 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon glycerin and 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap on hand to work in and then launder as usual.

To remove underarm perspiration stains you
    a. keep your arms down – maybe no one will notice.
    b. cut out the sleeves, tank tops are fine.
    c. scrub with a brush and soap in hope that the discoloration will come out.
    d. Dissolve 8 to 10 aspirin tablets in warm water, saturate the underarm, soak 30 minutes and launder as usual.

To fluff up down clothes and comforters you
    a. dry them in the dryer with lots of softener.
    b. hang outside and beat them with a broom.
    c. Spend an hour shaking and hand fluffing them.
    d. Put them in the dryer at the recommended temperature or on “air-fluff” with a couple of clean tennis balls.

To wash the plastic shower liner you
    a. throw it out, it will never come clean.
    b. Cut off the bottom every week or so to remove the soap scum areas.
    c. Lay it out and scrub with a scrub brush, wash with a rag, rinse and dry.
    d. Toss it in the washer with a couple of old towels, laundry detergent and a cup of white vinegar and re-hang to dry.

I'll post her answers tomorrow. Answer the quiz!
    Last edited by Chalet; September 4th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
    gardenwitch and Tati like this.

I think I know the answers to most of those thanks to my mother The Laundry Queen of Chicago. That woman would steal our clothes off the bathroom floor while we were in the shower so we literally did not have a dirty piece of laundry in the house.
    Beeyotch likes this.

d. Moisten a cotton ball and dab an inside seam, if the color transfers to the
    cotton, the blouse should be washed separately.

this works. when we test textiles we rub them on a dry cloth and a wet cloth on a little machine to test colorfastness.
    Novice likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

ANSWERS:

If you answered mostly A’s: You are, and there really is no nice way to say this, a Laundry Loser. Laundry is a mystery to you, spotting sends shivers down you spine and you are throwing out more clothes than you can afford. You and I should be talking dirty about laundry! Try some of my easy tips, it may surprise you.

If you answered mostly B’s: You are in Laundry Limbo. You haven’t ruined all the clothes in your family’s closets, but they fear they will never see their clothes again once you announce laundry day is here. Give some of my easy laundry solutions a try. It can’t hurt!

If you answered mostly C’s: You are a Laundry Goddess. You are working way too hard to get results. Follow my queenly tips to do it faster, easier and smarter. You’ll find out you have more time for other things and your clothes will look great.

If you answered mostly D’s: you are the Queen of Washing and Drying. You have obviously tried the Queen’s time saving laundry tips. Your clothes are in such good shape it’s hard to find space to hang the new ones! Keep up the good work and don’t forget to teach the kids how to do laundry too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ^^It's about that boiling water. It's got to make an enormous difference.
    Do US machines not have a really hot water setting? I have a cotton wash that washes at 90 degrees.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Do US machines not have a really hot water setting? I have a cotton wash that washes at 90 degrees.
    Yes,we have hot water settings on every machine I have ever seen. Mine not only has hot water, but a sanitize cycle for extremely dirty. Also a steam cycle. I don't use them often at all-no cause.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

MrN's overalls come back covered in gear oil, diesel, etc & I just pre-wash & then wash (usually at 60) I've rarely had to presoak/wash anything; that's why I was asking (post from earlier).
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information