Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen renovation - counter tops

yes, please don't forget the pictures afterwards!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Sounds like a WINNING plan!! I can't wait to see the pics too.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

More I can't believe it. This horror show is right off the kitchen so how would it look next to a new kitchen? This is the next space. Give me strength or a match.

It is a pity there are arson laws. Next best, strip room and paint. Remove french doors. Burn curtains and that beast holding them up. Install those honeycomb blinds that block view but allow light. Match to wall color. Clear all furniture (except maybe that buffet, sans matchy lamps). At this point , stop and find a nunnery that accepts donations for prayers. Then wait for inspiration.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    It is a pity there are arson laws. Next best, strip room and paint. Remove french doors. Burn curtains and that beast holding them up. Install those honeycomb blinds that block view but allow light. Match to wall color. Clear all furniture (except maybe that buffet, sans matchy lamps). At this point , stop and find a nunnery that accepts donations for prayers. Then wait for inspiration.
    why?
    i have french doors with honey coloured glass at home. they lead out onto the hallway which is painted in grey and has a checkered marble floor. in the early morning and late afternoon the filtered light together with the different shades of grey on the wall (the hallway is L-shaped and full of nooks) results in a very nice light/shadow effect.
    i like the french doors. keep them, chalet.

I like the french doors too, they give the room character IMO. (Unless they're in the way of furniture placement...) I agree get rid of those drapes but I hate those honeycomb cellular shades. (sorry) Total dust magnets and they remind me too much of the '80s. Unless you totally want to block a view and keep them closed all the time, I guess.

I just repainted my mom's bathroom a nice gray with white trim around the window and a two-inch white wood blind. Gave the room a crisp, fresh look. (The cellular shade that was there before was dusty, nasty and went straight in the trash.)

I also like the bamboo-style roman shades. Hate draperies of any kind.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I like the doors and the floor. The torchiere lamp needs to go though and the TV stand as well as the drapes and the carpet. Light fabric on an ottoman clearly doesn't work for these people. NO honeycomb shades.

Hate pairs of matching lamps/vases etc so those would have to go too. Or at least one of them.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

While you're compiling a burn list, please add the Honesty on the windowsill. Some 1970s earth mother
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    why?
    i have french doors with honey coloured glass at home. they lead out onto the hallway which is painted in grey and has a checkered marble floor. in the early morning and late afternoon the filtered light together with the different shades of grey on the wall (the hallway is L-shaped and full of nooks) results in a very nice light/shadow effect.
    i like the french doors. keep them, chalet.
    Because those are totally wrong there. I love french doors-in the right space. Usually leading outside or maybe to a lovely dining room. Those do nothing in that space at all, but make it smaller. No door at all and maybe a larger opening would help.
    As far as the honeycomb shades, maybe not, but SOMETHING to make the window fade in. You have a large window with zero view. Not drapes that will close in the room further, as those do. And something light, not so heavy.
    Of the room, I would keep the floor. Look how much space those doors eat up! This is a very small room.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    While you're compiling a burn list, please add the Honesty on the windowsill. Some 1970s earth mother
    I like Lunaria!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

It's all going. Every drop except for the medieval chest or whatever that is on the right underneath the mirror. The French doors are staying because they are part of the original apartment and she'll cry. They really don't serve a purpose, but whatever.

The view is very nice, it's of the Hudson River, not a wall. I think the room is 20 x 25 of what you see.

Okay designers - Play guess the estimate for the kitchen and breakfast room. Soup to nuts but not including new table and chairs. I went from semi-custom cabinets to full custom (lots of cabinets), very mid range costs for appliances, jumped from 4000 counters to 7000 counters. She kept saying to me on the phone that I warned her with each upgrade what the new cost would be. Anyway, no sticker shock.

Contractor's cost are exactly what I had estimated. That made me feel proud. Don't forget to add in delivery of materials, overhead, protecting the areas, carting away daily stuff.

Silver Member

100 to 120K? Am I close?? Do I get a prize???

Here in Dallas that would be 70 thousand. For NY, I am going to double it. $140,000?

czb

i agree with the others about the french doors.

the ooglay room has potential but everything currently in it has to go.

as for the new kitchen estimate, how big is the space? and what do you call mid-range for appliances? assuming we're not talking viking?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    100 to 120K? Am I close?? Do I get a prize???
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Here in Dallas that would be 70 thousand. For NY, I am going to double it. $140,000?
    No prizes but you both are so good. Including all taxes, overhead and insurance, it came to $97,000.

Mid range refrigerators are about $2500, Viking built in are about $6000. This one is a Kitchen Aid, about 2700 retail, about 2100 thru the distributor. A Wolf or Viking oven range are about $4000, this range is the GE Cafe, about 2000.

Just as an FYI - Materials usually cost twice what labor costs. Most of it comes from the cabinets. I started out with your average cabinet which would have been about 15,000 but she kept adding to the design and added more cabinets. The other big ticket was that countertop.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information