Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen renovation - counter tops

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    How have I never heard that joke? I really like that joke!

Sluce - do you have black marble or black granite in your baths? Curious about the black marble in general.
    They are both marble. In my daughter's bath it is a white vanity with the black marble top with a white undermount sink. The flooring is white marble. Then then tile is white with black accents. In the master I have an antique piece of furniture that was converted to a vanity with the black marble top and it also has the white undermount sink. My other baths have marble tops too but they are more of a beige and don't show the water marks.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^ ooh! Fancy!
    I like the sound of the furniture converted into a sinkunit, but instead of the undercounted sink I want a washstand with a basin on it

Sort of like this but that basin would be a real sink with taps & indoor plumbing & everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Thank you AN. That's the color I want in a wider plank in wood. I have to investigate this tile/wood looking material. I've used a Pergo like material in a kitchen and it's great. No maintenance and looks like wood but the German's Shepherd's nails don't scratch it.
    My MIL has "tile that looks like wood" on her hallway which is a very high traffic area (plus she has animals), however as someone who had tile in the kitchen - I really don't know if I'd have it again. Everything- & I mean everything one drops breaks, including plastic, paper, glass,china,etc etc etc.... Just something your clients might want to ponder?

Glad you liked the joke, I've never heard it before, it was on the radio & I kept hearing it (it was a show promo) & kept thinking that needed to remember to tell you - it was way better when they told it!
    Free Charmed.

We do a lot of quartz (silestone, caesarstone, chroma), carrara, calcutta, soapstone, walnut and butcher block. Reality is that all materials have their pros and cons - it's what you can live with with that matters.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

My vanity is similar to this:

My cousin was taking a carpentry course. I found the dresser I liked at an antique shop. It was in rough shape but I loved the lines and style. I refinished the shell. Then he converted it and I ordered the marble top. It's the one piece I have that makes me happy each time I see it.

ETA - it was originally a dresser but was a buffet for a dining room set. I need to stop calling it a dresser. LOL
    Last edited by sluce; January 28th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^ I did something simliar with our bathroom. I got to go to the boneyard and pick out the carrera I wanted. It was like being in a candy shop! So much fun.

That's lovely Sluce! Too big for our small ensuite, but delightful.

Bella - do you mean that you went to a monumental stonemason (like the guys who do the headstones?
    Free Charmed.

Ha! No. A boneyard is where they carry remnants of marble and granite. You can go through and pick out the piece you want and then they finish the edges and seal it for you. You can save a fair amount of money this way and you get to pick the piece yourself. Win all around.

haha! I thought that you'd been raiding cemeteries... again!
    Free Charmed.

Hell, after that last time...no way!

But the marble pieces you took were exquisite! They were so nicely engraved.

Shame the names didn't match......

BTW Sluce I saw a lovely piece in my hairdressers - like a wrought iron fireplace (can't think how else to describe it) with a marble top. She has a Belle Epoche mirror over it. Lovely!
    Free Charmed.

At the marble yard this morning we selected and reserved the stone. Quartzite! It's quarried in Brazil and polished in Italy.

I learned today that it's becoming more popular and more available as architects and designers are bored by granite because of the consistency and commercial look.

White Caesarstone was going to be my last resort. We walked by this slab and both liked it. Very unusual looking compared the stuff you always see. It's extremely durable and no maintenance. It looks like marble. And for a client that just hated the granite look, I didn't have to give her granite.

Quartzite can look like the craziest colored Ivana Trump marble to a quiet stone that looks like slate. I think when I told that I had never done anything like that before she felt that she wouldn't see it coming and going.

I'm done. Pull down or pull out spray faucets in a phallic shape? I've pulled on many recently.

I'll post some demo/reno pictures as it moves along for those interested.

Quartzite is a hard metamorphic rock which was originally sandstone.[2] Sandstone is converted into quartzite through heating and pressure usually related to tectonic compression within orogenic belts. Pure quartzite is usually white to grey, though quartzites often occur in various shades of pink and red due to varying amounts of iron oxide (Fe2O3). Other colors, such as yellow and orange, are due to other mineral impurities.

When sandstone is metamorphosed to quartzite, the individual quartz grains recrystallize along with the former cementing material to form an interlocking mosaic of quartz crystals.

can't wait to see pics, chalet!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sounds great!
    Free Charmed.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    can't wait to see pics, chalet!
    Me too!
    Posted from my iPhone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information