Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen renovation - counter tops

czb

^^^ we have high ceilings - it's a victorian. plus the rack is hung 1+ feet in from the sink, i don't know how you could hit it unless you are standing on a chair and leaning in.

LOL! I'm sure I'd find a way.... Sounds really nice czb!
    Free Charmed.

CZB - I found this site. I called them and the guy helping me said I didn't sound like I was from NY - was phone flirting and getting off the subject.....so I told him I was just like Elaine Benes from Seinfeld. We got back to business.

http://www.potracksgalore.com/

Novice, I love those modern kitchens. I see them in showrooms and drool. They hide everything, they are so efficient and you look so cool when you're cooking. I'd love to price out one soup to nuts just to see. I haven't met any clients that want them. Even the younger, hipper, clients when doing a big project fall into the resale mentality. I've seen the closet size version of those kitchens, but then those are the people that never cook and go out to eat.

I don't understand doing your house for resale. Does nobody ever want to stay put and just decorate the house for themselves and not the next owners/

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

People want a house they can move straight into with no rennos or decoration hassles. Immaculate kitchens and bathrooms are almost mandatory if you want to sell for a good price. Also, you'd be amazed how little imagination people have when it comes to visualising how they could change a few things - usually just cosmetics - to make the house "theirs". So you make it bland so you don't scare the drones.

I can't wait to redecorate our place but not for selling. It's been almost 10 years and the wear and tear is beginning to show. Unfortunately it's mostly open plan so I can't pick certain rooms - I'll have to bite the bullet and do the whole lot, cathedral ceilings and all.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

Take a look at Ina Garten's kitchen on the Barefoot Contessa show, similar to this one, only with black granite countertops (I think). Might give you some inspiration. Also, there are some amazing porcelain tiles out there that look like wood plank flooring. Would look great with your new cabinets and so easy to clean.

Here's some of the tile installed:
    Last edited by Abbey Normal; January 25th, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Novice, I love those modern kitchens. I see them in showrooms and drool. They hide everything, they are so efficient and you look so cool when you're cooking. I'd love to price out one soup to nuts just to see. I haven't met any clients that want them. Even the younger, hipper, clients when doing a big project fall into the resale mentality. I've seen the closet size version of those kitchens, but then those are the people that never cook and go out to eat.
    I love the look of those modern kitchens too, but if I were to do that when we did our kitchen renovation, I would have been left with virtually no counter space (I still don't have as much as I'd like). I think these work best in a kitchen that can accommodate a decent sized island.

We're choosing CaesarStone Quartz for our countertops and subway tile for the backsplash. I love both

czb

CZB - I found this site. I called them and the guy helping me said I didn't sound like I was from NY - was phone flirting and getting off the subject.....so I told him I was just like Elaine Benes from Seinfeld. We got back to business.

Kitchen Pot Rack: Shop Kitchen Pot Racks at Pot Racks Galore

. . . .
    nice. good prices, too.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I don't understand doing your house for resale. Does nobody ever want to stay put and just decorate the house for themselves and not the next owners/
    Heck! We're (very slowly) building ours for US! If we ever sell it they'll either love it or hate it, but since we're planning to be here forever, we don't care.

I love the thought of those tall cupboards in a hall way or similar - hidden storage!!!
    Chalet! I'm so complimented on your approval of my good taste that I have a joke for you....

1st person: Cher has a twin sister!
    2nd person: Yeah? What's she called?
    1st person: Cher.... And Cher-Alike....

Heeheeeheeeee.....
    Free Charmed.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Heck! We're (very slowly) building ours for US! If we ever sell it they'll either love it or hate it, but since we're planning to be here forever, we don't care.
    Same here. I love it here and everything we do to the house is because we like it.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I have granite too. It's great for bakers because it stays cold enough for rolling out dough. The only instruction the installer gave us was that we shouldn't cut directly on the granite or it would dull our knives. LOL. There are really only two downsides for me. One, a camphered straight edge dings a little too easily (I think beveled edges might hold up better). Two, we have black granite (Uba Tuba or Venetian Butterfly...not sure) and I have to wipe it down every night to keep it looking clean. We have Venetian Gold granite in our bar and that stuff is fantastic. Can't see any dust or crumbs.

We have maple floors and water in the kitchen has never been an issue. The wood is a bit soft so it gets weathered easily but they still look great and I've never had any water marks/stains/damage even with a bunch of little kids running around.

I have granite in my kitchen and love it. It is Autumn Harvest with the waterfall edging. Once a week I wipe it down with a polishing sealer compound. In 2 of my baths I have black marble. It looks great but does show every water mark so it needs to be polished and sealed weekly too.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post

I love the thought of those tall cupboards in a hall way or similar - hidden storage!!!
    Chalet! I'm so complimented on your approval of my good taste that I have a joke for you....

1st person: Cher has a twin sister!
    2nd person: Yeah? What's she called?
    1st person: Cher.... And Cher-Alike....

Heeheeeheeeee.....
    How have I never heard that joke? I really like that joke!

Sluce - do you have black marble or black granite in your baths? Curious about the black marble in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    Take a look at Ina Garten's kitchen on the Barefoot Contessa show, similar to this one, only with black granite countertops (I think). Might give you some inspiration. Also, there are some amazing porcelain tiles out there that look like wood plank flooring. Would look great with your new cabinets and so easy to clean.

Here's some of the tile installed:
    Thank you AN. That's the color I want in a wider plank in wood. I have to investigate this tile/wood looking material. I've used a Pergo like material in a kitchen and it's great. No maintenance and looks like wood but the German's Shepherd's nails don't scratch it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information