Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen renovation - counter tops

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    I wanted this, but it was unbelievably expensive. I ended up with granite, which I love. As someone else said, it's pretty much indestructible!
    I wondered about the cost. The only thing that freaks me out about granite are the news articles that came out a while back regarding radiation, it lurks in the back of my head. Not that I will be in any position to decorate or redecorate a kitchen anytime soon.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I don't care. I'd have gone solid granite if the budget had allowed but it didn't at the time. So I did granite anyway in tile form. It was easy, looks pretty damn good, cheap(tiles were on sale!) and now I don't think I will replace it even though I had initially thought of it as temporary.

Not my kitchen(mine was done in a sparkly black):
    My brother (builder) just did a kitchen similar to this due to the client's budget, and it turned out beautiful! I'll consider this for my next kitchen, not a huge baker, but I would wonder about rolling dough out on this type of counter top.

Lines are not good for rolling out dough. Smooth is far better.

As far as radiation, this is from the Texas Department of Health Services:
    The amount of radioactivity in most granite is quite small. While it is possible to get a measurable level of direct radiation from some granite, in general it emits less radiation than we are regularly exposed to from background radiation. These levels are so low that they are not harmful to human health.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I literally just finished remodeling my kitchen (again) last week! Seriously. I went with Quartz countertops (apparently the new in thing, as granite has become so common...that sounds so pretentious). Anyway, I absolutely love them...love, love, love. It's a solid surface material, easy to clean, stain resistant and just stunning to look at. I highly recommend it!

Thank you everybody! I'm not going multiquote because you all gave me lots of great info and feedback. Asking you questions is the same as me asking a client questions.

Thank you for the Vetrazzo and the LG surfaces. I bookmarked those and will read.

More than the look, more than the " I want it to look different", is that it has to be durable and look good for a long time. I won't take responsibility for a high maintenance product or one where she says "if I had known, I wouldn't have done it".

If she had a her real wish list, it would be honed (sanded matte finish) white Carrara marble. These kitchens are all over the magazines. Marble isn't recommended in kitchens because they have to be sealed and it's high maintenance. Porous and scratches easily. One bottle of paprika spilled on the counter and it's over.

Carrera marble.

I'm going to have to use Granite or quartz materials to hold up in her busy kitchen. IF the look were professional restaurant - I'd consider butcher block and stainless steel. I always say that once it's all together you take the focus off of the importance of each stand alone item. Everything blends together.

Wanna see? You're gonna die!

It's like my own little reality show nightmare. They are very lovely people.

McJag - I haven't done the color scheme yet - I'm still in the drawing stage. All I know is that I'm taking out all that wretched flooring and doing dark chocolate stained wide planked wood. So probably gray, browns, creams, taupe, polka dots, I dunno.

Any more suggestions - I'm listening!

A*O

Do you have the budget to rip out the whole lot and start again or do you have to keep the carcasses? The whole room is a weird shape with the sink tucked behind the fridge? If you can move the fridge and open up the whole space it will look much less gloomy.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

OMG,you have your work cut out. Ditch that Fridge & get a double door bottom freezer one. Have had mine 3 years & still love it. That thing must be 20 years old.
    Undermount sink is a must. Much better looking. Mine has a large left side & a smaller rt. side w/garbage disposal. You can put bigger pots in & easy to fill with a high arc faucet.
    Now, think about that floor. Wood in a kitchen looks great, but consider water spills,etc. What about a stone set on the diagonal. Mull it over.
    I would say any extra storage you can give them would be helpful.
    What kind of stove? Those new ones that are double, but the top one is more narrow sound great. Maybe she could junk that toaster oven thingy taking up space.
    Sugar, you have your hands full with this one! Can't wait to see what you do.
    You have a dream job & thank you for letting us see this interesting project.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love that carrera marble... wow. if only... you have your work cut out for you with that other kitchen. good luck with that!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Yes, be careful with wood in a place that could get wet. I think you'll be better off with real wood than laminate, though. Laminate seams will start to swell, bubble, and separate with the slightest bit of water; well-sealed hardwood might not be so bad.

I've heard that cork can make a great kitchen floor, as it's forgiving on the step and durable. I'm also with AO on a complete gutting if you can.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

czb

i agree with everything mcjag said about granite countertops. they may be 'out' but they are great. look great and are practical for REAL cooking. it may be beneficial to actually visit the granite/stone yard, not a showroom. then you can see all the different kinds of stone and colors in slab. much more helpful than seeing little pieces in a showroom.

we have hardwood floors and it hasn't been an issue. we just put a little floor mat on the floor near the sink. and speaking of a sink, when we remodeled i picked the biggest sink i could find, it is one piece and not partitioned. LOVE it. it is big enough to fit a cookie sheet or roaster easily.

The whole thing is getting ripped out. Every bit. All new everything. The other half of the room where the wood floor is - is the breakfast room. This is her dream kitchen and she wants to do it once and get it right. You've all mentioned things that have been approved.

For the floors I had so hoped repeat a floor I had done before in porcelain tile which looked like an old French chateau stone floor. It really set the style and it's no maintenance, but she's a wood lover so...

You know how it goes - appliance research, building materials blah blah. The two things that I see making it look chic and warm are some great looking vintage lights and amazing chairs.

She also wants a pot rack God help me. Okay, whatever. Anybody here do pot racks?

czb

^^^ we looked at pot racks at williams sonoma. they were beautiful but the ones we wanted were >$400. we looked at amazon and they had the same ones for ~75. the pot rack is great. it is hung on the ceiling over the sink (across from the stove). easy access and saves space.

It's a new concept for me because I'm such a put it all away kind of person. I have to search for a vintage, old and worn looking one. And if I don't get offa GR, nobody is going have a kitchen!

Thanks, kids.

czb

^^^ there is a store in my hood that has vintage ones and they are very beautiful. hope it isn't hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

Wanna see? You're gonna die!

Any more suggestions - I'm listening!
    A gallon of petrol & a match for their old kitchen!

BTW - I saw a GREAT idea years ago of a wall-long cupboard with a sliding highly gloss finished door... it looked amazing..... I'd have on of those any day instead of the tiny doors that slice up space visually.

ETA it was http://www.porcelanosa.com/gb/cocina/muebles.php
    This is what they have at the moment... but I'm sure you get the idea...

And wood coloured ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I've heard that cork can make a great kitchen floor, as it's forgiving on the step and durable. I'm also with AO on a complete gutting if you can.
    We had sealed cork tiles in my parents bathroom & kitchen. Fab! CAn't speak highly enough of them, especially when you're a clutz & drop everything all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ we looked at pot racks at williams sonoma. they were beautiful but the ones we wanted were >$400. we looked at amazon and they had the same ones for ~75. the pot rack is great. it is hung on the ceiling over the sink (across from the stove). easy access and saves space.
    please excuse my ignorance - but how do you not bang your head on it? I had a bf who had his cooker hood too low & I smacked my head on it all the time (he was shorter than I was...)
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information