Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 101

Thread: I'M MOVING! Need advice quick!

  1. #76
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    [quote=kingcap72;699974]
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Good advice! A tip before?? What nerve!! But do you have to tip movers?? I never thought about that! The move itself costs a lot!
    And how much do you tip them???quote]

    Yeah, tell me about it. I told them to start doing some work before they ask for a tip. As far as tipping movers, it's something that's usually expected. In my case, I tipped them $90 to split three ways between the three of them. In retrospect, that was waayyyyyy too much. Next time, it might be $10 for each guy.
    Ok I can do that. The $10 I mean! I hope I just have 3 guys...thank you for letting us know-I swear-I had no idea!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  2. #77
    Elite Member msdeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    39,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Well, I packed up most of my stuff before the movers showed up. But the entire move itself was just a comedy of errors.

    1) When the movers got there, they started asking me for a tip before they did any work.

    .
    i would have told them i would tip them when the work was done, and then i'd have tipped them with a bag of pennies.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

  3. #78
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i would have told them i would tip them when the work was done, and then i'd have tipped them with a bag of pennies.
    That could be dangerous for me in my currant frame of mind. I could easily see me whack 'em upside the head with the bag of pennies.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  4. #79
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    When we moved into our apartment, we only had to pay $25 insurance on the wide screen TV and the rest was free because we used umoveforfree.com. It was pretty awesome considering we were on the 2nd story with some very steep and narrow stairs and our furniture consisted of a large sectional couch and a huge TV.

  5. #80
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    When we moved into our apartment, we only had to pay $25 insurance on the wide screen TV and the rest was free because we used umoveforfree.com. It was pretty awesome considering we were on the 2nd story with some very steep and narrow stairs and our furniture consisted of a large sectional couch and a huge TV.
    NOW you tell me! That was great!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  6. #81
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    [quote=McJag;700033]
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Ok I can do that. The $10 I mean! I hope I just have 3 guys...thank you for letting us know-I swear-I had no idea!
    But just keep in mind if they break anything don't tip them at all. If they bitch, tell them that they should learn how to handle people's items with care next time. And that's both their tip and life-lesson for the day.

  7. #82
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,369

    Default

    I can sympathize with any bad mover story. I have had my stuff held hostage TWICE by moving companies. The first time was when I lived in Miami Beach and was moving 4 blocks away. I used a company that was supposed to be pretty good. They gave me a price, I signed and they showed up to move me. They bitched about everything and the way everything was packed. Everything was fine, packed up in boxes and sealed with packing tape....they just wanted to gripe. Once we got to my new place, the whole four blocks away, they said it would be $700 instead of the $400 that I agreed to. When I said no way, they closed the truck and locked it and said they would leave and take my stuff to storage and I would have to pay $20 per day. I called the company and they confirmed, saying that I had more stuff than I had when they came out to do the estimate!! Such a crock. All of two weeks had passed since they were at my house, perhaps I bought a pair of shoes or something. Anyway, I had to pay to get my stuff. It was horrible.

    The second time, the guys wanted more money because the TV was too heavy. It was a standard 36" TV. They wanted $100 bucks more or else they couldn't unload the truck. No problem. I gave them the $$ and then they had the balls to ask for a tip after all my stuff was in the house. I told them to kiss my ass!

    Lesson learned. The last three moves I've used an agent for North American van lines. They honor the binding estimate, no matter what, are quick, efficient and haven't broken a thing.

  8. #83
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    [quote=kingcap72;701873]
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post

    But just keep in mind if they break anything don't tip them at all. If they bitch, tell them that they should learn how to handle people's items with care next time. And that's both their tip and life-lesson for the day.
    Um-what are you doing tomorrow?? Maybe I could tell them you are
    New Joisey Mafia! Or-I do have one secret weapon: My hubby! Self centered, mean SOB who loves one person on earth. ME! If they break something I'll quiver my chin (that makes his whole world stop) and tell him the New Jersey connection said not to let them off easy! I just hope they understand him: Ah sayed yew en-sulted mah wahfe! Step outside yew sonofabitch! Honnee-DID YEW PAAACK MAH GUUNZ?? Yew fixin'ta git a lahf lissen,yew mo-fos!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  9. #84
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    You guys are cracking me up on here, today.

  10. #85
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,369

    Default

    Too funny!!

  11. #86
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    NOW you tell me! That was great!
    Well, They are an apartment locator, so it wouldn't have been much help if you're moving into a house. But if you ever find yourself needing an apartment in the DFW area, you're set!

  12. #87
    Elite Member Picara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I can sympathize with any bad mover story. I have had my stuff held hostage TWICE by moving companies. The first time was when I lived in Miami Beach and was moving 4 blocks away. I used a company that was supposed to be pretty good. They gave me a price, I signed and they showed up to move me. They bitched about everything and the way everything was packed. Everything was fine, packed up in boxes and sealed with packing tape....they just wanted to gripe. Once we got to my new place, the whole four blocks away, they said it would be $700 instead of the $400 that I agreed to. When I said no way, they closed the truck and locked it and said they would leave and take my stuff to storage and I would have to pay $20 per day. I called the company and they confirmed, saying that I had more stuff than I had when they came out to do the estimate!! Such a crock. All of two weeks had passed since they were at my house, perhaps I bought a pair of shoes or something. Anyway, I had to pay to get my stuff. It was horrible.

    The second time, the guys wanted more money because the TV was too heavy. It was a standard 36" TV. They wanted $100 bucks more or else they couldn't unload the truck. No problem. I gave them the $$ and then they had the balls to ask for a tip after all my stuff was in the house. I told them to kiss my ass!

    Lesson learned. The last three moves I've used an agent for North American van lines. They honor the binding estimate, no matter what, are quick, efficient and haven't broken a thing.
    Wow, couldn't you have taken the first guys to court?

  13. #88
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,369

    Default

    I could have, yes. I neglected to tell you that I even had the police show up. The security guard/doorman for the building I was moving into, called the police. The police advised me to pay and fight for it later because there was no law to stop them from taking my stuff. Through my boyfriend at the time, I contacted an attorney (his uncle) and was told that there wasn't much that could be done because there were no laws regulating moves in state...only out of state. He wrote a letter to the moving company and they basically wiped their ass with it. The attorney said that his best advice was to let it go, since I had all of my belongings.

    ETA - the police officer said that this was not the first time he had to intervene in this type of situation. He even told one of the movers that he should go into a more honest profession

  14. #89
    Elite Member effie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where it all begun
    Posts
    14,175

    Default

    Where there any buttcracks on display?Coin slots showing up??????????
    That is what i d like to know
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator


  15. #90
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Friends,fellow movers ,advice givers and you sadistic twits that are reading this for amusement,instead of suffering with me as the others are doing. I am in my new house. I need recovery time, then I can speak coherently.Right now I want to talk about ANYTHING but. I hope Alice has new Issues. I hope PB has a new recipe.i hope Playfulkisses is off her track and less playful. I hope DVSone has a new puzzle& Lobelia's bunnies have had kittens-anything else at all!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. QUICK 'N' EASY meals
    By pacific breeze in forum Recipes
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: August 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM
  2. Quick Hello
    By babehunter1973 in forum New Members
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM
  3. Quick n Easy BBQ recipes please
    By A*O in forum Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
  4. Railway killer executed (wow that was quick)
    By Delphinium in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •