Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'M MOVING! Need advice quick!

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    Oooh, I didn't even know that you COULD get the removers to pack for you! Does that happen in the UK as well as the US? I'll hopefully be moving soon too (house on market at moment) and I'm dreading it... The last time we moved I swore that the only way I'd be coming out again was in a coffin it was so stressful! We did everything ourselves last time but we have tons more heavy furniture now so we'll have to call in the professionals now. My only tip is label, label, LABEL!! It's more important even than creaming your elbows - honest!
    NOTHING is more important than creaming your elbows! But I agree-labels are key to sanity later. Yes-call in the pros. Do you have one run by off-duty firemen there? It would be fun to compare cuteness levels. They actally said they prefer to pack stuff & won't insure unless they do. I should think your will do the same. Ask!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Personally, I think regularly pushing back your cuticles wins out over creaming your elbows, but only just.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    Oooh, I didn't even know that you COULD get the removers to pack for you! Does that happen in the UK as well as the US?
    Yes you can, it just costs more.

We used a big national company for our last move, and they were just brilliant. But my mum used the same company for one of her moves and loads of stuff went missing. The company replaced it all but it left a nasty taste.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Fireman came over to view the carnage & decide how much to charge. He will let me know this afternoon. Cute. Wore cute men-shoes too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hmmm...firemen...can't say I've ever noticed them one way or another, unless the heat was on...

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I am so tired I have had a weeping spell and am overwhelmed. I am crying over leaving my black cane bamboo! Thats how tired. Now I have GOT to go to the store and get pretty shelve paper. I don't want to be weepy in the store. I shall have 2 cups of coffee and practice being a grown up. My hair is a wreck. My manicure is ruined.
    Oh woe. If they don't have some PRETTY I will sit right down and cry.
    That sort of cheers me up-"CRYING ON AISLE 4!"

Tired? Is this like your easy-peasy birthing thing? You don't know tired, missy! I am so tired I almost fell asleep on an amusement park ride today. Luckily it was the bumper cars and some little puke banged into me pretty good and woke my ass up. This moving thing sucks and I have no idea if I'm going to get everything done in time. Anyone want to watch over the little heathens for hte next two weeks while I dive in full steam ahead? Otehrwise, I'll be joining McJag in aisle 4 and they'll have a flood of tears.

--Sinclair Lewis

Dig up a little of your bamboo and transplant it. Bamboo is tough and it will thrive. All is not lost!

Thanks you two! Am back to semi sane. Estimate cane in 2,000 LESS than he said! BBB says no complaints last 36 months. Today the new furniture arrived at the new place. I like it, but can't get the living room right. I did something really stunning. I told the movers to come back MONDAY. Back & new house Tuesday. oh well I will get busy-er! Love my shelve paper. Butt! I do NOT know how you are going to do it all with the Heatherns. So many decisions-one after another with no thinking time! I hope I can dig up some of the bamboo & Virginia creeper to go.

The little heathens are going to have a very boring two weeks while I get everything sorted. I jsut want to crawl into a ball but instead have to get a ton of stuff done.

--Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member

I feel really sorry for anyone moving. I just moved last weekend, and believe me, next time they will carry me out of here in a pine box! lol Everyone told me it would be stressful but I had no idea. Thankfully I got a bridge mortgage for 4 days so I could move on the Saturday, and not have to be out of my old house until the Tuesday after. That helped a lot, because I could go back and forth. Well worth the money! $188 dollars for 4 days bridge mortgage.

I rented a Ryder truck and moved the stuff myself, with the help of two friends and two brothers. It cost me $65 for the day to rent the truck. I was getting quotes from moving companies for $165/hour + PST/GST. It would have cost me a fortune!

Yes! It is an expensive little venture-in time & money & STRESS! Small tings pile up-where to put the coffee maker,garbage can,telephone etc etc etc! List is ENDLESS. AND the new place has spiders! Yes! I hate them! Exterminator coming out tomorow!

Spiders are good -- they eat other bugs. No need for an exterminator -- you'll just create more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Spiders are good -- they eat other bugs. No need for an exterminator -- you'll just create more problems.
    PB! This is new construction with empty lots on boths sides-they are the big brown garden spiders-in the house! They are confused!

OK McJag, I'm officially much more stressed than you by moving. I just got an email from the agency in London that is handling the move, asking if the movers here have confirmed the date WHICH THEY GAVE ME A WEEK AGO. I've booked tix that are expensive and non-refundable and I swear on the leittle heathen's heads that if there is a fuck up someone will pay...dearly. Fuck me, I am about to lose my mind.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information