Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'M MOVING! Need advice quick!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I demand pictures! Firemen are HOT

lol i was going to say something about Fireman and how hot they were, but i thought it'd be out of line. OMG I FORGOT WHERE I WAS! LOL
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    Uh, I too request fireman pictures....

We are moving to a different house in about a month. I have always been a do-it-yourselfer, but my fiance's company will pay movers. We are waiting to see if they are going to be the sort where we pack and they move or what. Either way, the company is footing the bill. We will use a company that people at work recommend.
    I don't think I will MENTION sharing the pics. Doesn't everone take picture of their firemen-I mean-movers??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Did anyone mentioned to tell them not to pack your trash in your trash cans, food in your fridge, and things that are food on your counter? LOL. No shit. They will do this! After having many, many moves from being military, they will pack EVERYTHING. It's pretty gross finding that shit anywhere from 8 weeks to six months later.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Did anyone mentioned to tell them not to pack your trash in your trash cans, food in your fridge, and things that are food on your counter? LOL. No shit. They will do this! After having many, many moves from being military, they will pack EVERYTHING. It's pretty gross finding that shit anywhere from 8 weeks to six months later.
    Now that I know!They did just that to my Mother. Garbage in kitchen+2 months in household goods=really bad smell!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^And don't you think who the fuck would do that and why would anyone want to take that with them? LOL Those movers know better! Oh and make sure you know what you got. I have lost a really great coffee table, TV, hope chest, and a whole box of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    ^^And don't you think who the fuck would do that and why would anyone want to take that with them? LOL Those movers know better! Oh and make sure you know what you got. I have lost a really great coffee table, TV, hope chest, and a whole box of pictures.
    That worries me!!!

I find something always goes missing, which is why anything I truly can't live without, I schlep myself.

A*O

A good removalist will do a detailed inventory with numbered and labelled boxes/items they check into the van, and out again at the other end. It's part of the insurance thing. When we moved to Oz and put all our worldly goods in a 40ft shipping container comprising some 300+ boxes/items I think we only 'lost' one small box containing a kitchen mixer and a couple of chopping boards. The insurance excess/deductable was about $500 so it wasn't worth making a claim but everything else, including the antiques and other precious stuff arrived safely and intact.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The moving business is full of fly-by-night crooks. I have heard dozens of horror stories, including what happened to my husband's daughter. It's barely regulated in Canada and holding your possessions hostage -- even after not delivering them for weeks on end -- happens frequently. There are a few good local and national companies, but they are insanely busy. It's basically a shark pool, and a very expensive one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    The moving business is full of fly-by-night crooks. I have heard dozens of horror stories, including what happened to my husband's daughter. It's barely regulated in Canada and holding your possessions hostage -- even after not delivering them for weeks on end -- happens frequently. There are a few good local and national companies, but they are insanely busy. It's basically a shark pool, and a very expensive one at that.
    I'm getting nervous again...

Well, you are having people YOU KNOW do it so I think you are in the clear. Most people hire strangers to do the service because they don't have a choice. And it's not like you are moving across the country, which is where the worst abuses happen.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The company we're using is the one used by all the big international companies, so I have faith things will go well. Bearing that in mind, I assume I'll be on here in a month or so, bitching and moaning about the complete cokcup they made of things.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    The company we're using is the one used by all the big international companies, so I have faith things will go well. Bearing that in mind, I assume I'll be on here in a month or so, bitching and moaning about the complete cokcup they made of things.
    I hope we are gleeful and not moaning!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It had better be gleeful because right now I am stressed beyond words. I am SOOOOOOOO bored with cleaning out closets, clothes, etc. The little heathens are in for a big surprise if they don't clean out their toys this week, because Mamma Butt is going to go in there and I'll be much more brutal in my choices than they would be.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Oooh, I didn't even know that you COULD get the removers to pack for you! Does that happen in the UK as well as the US? I'll hopefully be moving soon too (house on market at moment) and I'm dreading it... The last time we moved I swore that the only way I'd be coming out again was in a coffin it was so stressful! We did everything ourselves last time but we have tons more heavy furniture now so we'll have to call in the professionals now. My only tip is label, label, LABEL!! It's more important even than creaming your elbows - honest!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information