Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'M MOVING! Need advice quick!

OK-I am beginning to feel a little better!
    Butt-I am in Dallas. I am moving over closer to FORT WORTH! It is pretty over there & I'll have lots of new places to scope out. Do NOT expect to see me square dancing at BillyBobs! Now the Bass Performance Hall-oh yes!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Expect me to find the closest, nicest pub in the neighborhood (or neighbourhood) and spending many evenings there. I love British pubs.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Lil

Last time we moved I took some really precious stuff to friends and family to collect later, and otherwise let the removers do the lot.

I don't know if you have any pets, but the process of moving can be really stressful for them and it might be worth thinking about sending them to friends or the cattery or something. I put my cats into the cattery for three or four days - they went in the morning of the first packing day before the packers arrived, and I collected them and introduced them to the new house after the removers had gone. They were still mad as hell but at least they were safe.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

No pets, thankfully. Just alot ALOT of stuff that I am going through and tossing out anything that isn't pertinent. I am sick of lugging crap around and this move is turning into more of a purge. It feels good, actually, although I have a feeling I'm going to regret throwing a few things away that I might want when my kids grow up. Anyone feel like coming round and finishing the job? I'm sick of boxes already.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Well, Twitchy's entire post could have been written by me, lol. Same experiences here, verbatim. I've moved... 9 times now? Sometimes just within a city, sometimes within Ontario, and once out to Edmonton (and back). When we moved back from Edmonton, we found it was actually cheaper to buy a used pickup truck than to either hire movers or rent a U-Haul, LOL. (We then gave the truck to fiance's parents). But for the most part I've either used U-Haul or borrowed trucks. Next time we move I'd really be tempted to go with a moving company, but we're getting so good at it now, it's probably not worth it! I just find moving such a chore...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I have two poodles to contend with. One standard,1 mini.We have a free roaming boarding place-more expensive but I don't want them cooped up. I hope just 1 or 2 nights will do.
    Butt-I have thrown out TONS. I had to send my helper, with a small pick-up full, up to the dumpster for a grocery store yesterday! My garbage cans are bursting & pick-up WEDNESDAY. Don't care! It's going OUT.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^Agreed...I'm being brutal beyond words. Mr. butt will search in vain for that oh-so-treasured 3rd grade report on photosynthesis, because it's now residing comfortably in a landfill.

Anyway, I notice no one has taken me up on my more than generous offer to come and deal with my shit for me. Selfish, every one of you.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Anyway, I notice no one has taken me up on my more than generous offer to come and deal with my shit for me. Selfish, every one of you.
    Now, Butt-PLEASE! We know how critical you are!!!

Me? Critical? I would kiss the ass of anyone who wrapped up this mess I'm currently calling my home/crack den.

--Sinclair Lewis

Congrats on the new house!

As for the mover situation, I've had two sets of friends that were moved cross country by professional movers and they both got taken to the cleaners. One company charged them outrageous amounts for tape and boxes (they put every little thing in a box and wrapped it all around with tape) and then held their stuff hostage till they paid the totally padded bill. I mean, they charged them for like 400 rolls of tape and over a thousand boxes. If you go that route, I would just be very careful cause I haven't heard anything good about moving companies.

And take this opportunity to get rid of all the clutter that you don't need. You will feel much better when you get to your new house to not have to find space for all that crap. (Maybe have a garage sale and get rid of it all?)

Good luck!

I've unloaded half my house in to the bin. The bin collectors (not to mention the other people in my building) bust hate me because I'm filling everything up on a daily basis. As far as the moving company, I'm not paying for it, so they can charge whatever they want as long as they get my stuff to it's destination in one piece.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Congrats on the new house!

As for the mover situation, I've had two sets of friends that were moved cross country by professional movers and they both got taken to the cleaners. One company charged them outrageous amounts for tape and boxes (they put every little thing in a box and wrapped it all around with tape) and then held their stuff hostage till they paid the totally padded bill. I mean, they charged them for like 400 rolls of tape and over a thousand boxes. If you go that route, I would just be very careful cause I haven't heard anything good about moving companies.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I DO have to pay-alas. I have heard about moving companies like that! Scary! I am using an off-duty fireman group that some people we know have used twice.Hope they are good.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Thanks! I am using an off-duty fireman group that some people we know have used twice.Hope they are good.
    I demand pictures! Firemen are HOT

There are some shonky removalists out there but you can avoid problems if you get them to come and estimate the job and give you a proper quote. We've used small local firms and a large multinational for our move to Australia and never had any problems with over-charging.

Chucking out junk is SO cathartic! And even if you are brutal I guarantee you will move and unpack boxes of stuff you KNOW you don't need and you'll curse yourself for paying someone to pack it up and move it and THEN you will throw it out anyway.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I demand pictures! Firemen are HOT

There are some shonky removalists out there but you can avoid problems if you get them to come and estimate the job and give you a proper quote. We've used small local firms and a large multinational for our move to Australia and never had any problems with over-charging.

Chucking out junk is SO cathartic! And even if you are brutal I guarantee you will move and unpack boxes of stuff you KNOW you don't need and you'll curse yourself for paying someone to pack it up and move it and THEN you will throw it out anyway.
    Yes-I am to get a written estimate tomorrow. I dread hearing it! If they are cute I will indeed snap away & share the Goodies with you all! I might choose one for Alice, if he seems to cope well with Issues.
    Then there is Grimm-might find him a gun slinger sort. I shall keep a sharp eye out for matches. Too many singles in here!

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Uh, I too request fireman pictures....

We are moving to a different house in about a month. I have always been a do-it-yourselfer, but my fiance's company will pay movers. We are waiting to see if they are going to be the sort where we pack and they move or what. Either way, the company is footing the bill. We will use a company that people at work recommend.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information