Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Home in the Alps With Forward-Thinking Design

Looks like an old horror from behind the iron curtain. The Sovs used to love concrete.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I don't hate it, but here are my observations:

It kind of looks like what you see when the concrete has been poured for a large office building's foundation. So, it kind of looks unfinished from the outside.

It looks like it would be VERY cold in the winter, and possibly hot in the summer, depending on how hot the summers there get. Concrete would very quickly take on whatever the ambient temperature is.

And I didn't see any obvious signs of an HVAC system. Since the walls, ceiling and floor appear to be mostly poured concrete, the HVAC system should be pretty obvious in the photos. Whoever lives here would have to be pretty tolerant of different temperature ranges.

I tried to go the NY Times slideshow to get more info, but it was mostly commentary about interior touches.

The lighting seems to be very minimal and inadequate for nighttime. I see some isolated bulbs and lamp stands. Along with some flourescent tubs running across one ceiling. But I think that wouldn't provide adequate illumination.

Also, I don't see very many electrical outlets at all. Because the walls are concrete, you should have some fairly obvious raceway, leading to protruding electrical outlets, but I don't see any.

I'm also trying to see what is forward-thinking about the place. I guess it does use a minimal amount of energy, but that's about it.

It would also be a great place to be during a Category-5 hurricane. It would probably lose a couple of windows, and that would be it.

It looks like a concrete bunker, or an unfinished basement. Very cold and unfriendly. And the plywood looks cheap. I have no idea what's supposed to be forward-thinking about this mess. Looks like they started to build a house and ran out of money halfway through. But maybe I am just not sophisticated enough to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I dunno. Looks like a monastery with some prison touches.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I don't get the love. There's no light, it's all concrete, and looks impractical. It feels like a bunker. Utterly soulless, devoid of any warmth.
    Yep.

Just looking at the photos makes me want to kill myself.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

fgg

it is forward-thinking because it is all made out of concrete and has a weird shape? i'm not getting the appeal.

Did anyone else notice that the owner of this place is a gallery owner? Maybe this place is a trojan horse to get around zoning in her neighborhood. After a couple of months, she'll change it from a residence to a small gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The Sovs used to love concrete.
    and the romans before them.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Also, I don't see very many electrical outlets at all. Because the walls are concrete, you should have some fairly obvious raceway, leading to protruding electrical outlets, but I don't see any.
    i think it's aac (autoclaved aerated concrete). you can carve it, sand it, sculpt it etc. the electrical wiring can be hidden in channels inside the walls. as for the outlets, maybe they're just hidden from view?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It looks like it would be VERY cold in the winter, and possibly hot in the summer, depending on how hot the summers there get. Concrete would very quickly take on whatever the ambient temperature is.
    there are a lot of factors that have to be taken into account before you are able to say something about the thermal 'equilibrium' inside a house such as insulation, thermal mass, air infiltration, variations in outside temperature, width of the walls (and of the individual components), materials used, ... but in general, aac houses seem to score well/good enough in terms of maintaining an agreeable and more or less constant room temperature. as far as i know, aac is also used in more extreme climates.
    Last edited by calcifer; September 23rd, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information