Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help my 'yard'

I thought this was a cute idea- sectioning off a corner for a small but attractive garden.

I like Sherbear's idea of a stone patio- using a light colored stone or even a white or cream brick would open up the area and give the illusion or more space.

I also like the idea of hanging some flowers, possibly geraniums.

For lighting, I like something like this because it's multi-functional:

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Yeah, don't cover the A/C unit. It isn't pretty, but it has to have free flowing air. Putting a trellis around it with climbing vines or plants would look good, tho.
    What if the table didn't fit tight against the top but had half a foot or more between? That might actually help the unit work better by insuring it only sucks in air, not airborn debris (leaves, bugs, feathers).
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

A*O

A/C units are designed not to suck in debris. They also pump OUT a lot of hot air so sitting right over one would be very unpleasant. The only solution would be to have it mounted on the wall but that's an expensive job. Then there's the noise issue that makes sitting anywhere near it a problem if it's operating.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Flower Pot Holders

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Flower Pot Holders sometimes called Flower Pot Hangers are a great way to dress up any plain fence with beauty of flowers in your favorite flower pot. Our Fence Top Flower Pot Holder can be easily slipped over the top of any wood fence that has a 2x4 or 2x6 top rail. Or if you want a more decorative look our Del Mar Flower Pot Holder or Venetian Flower Pot Holder can be screw into any flat surface. Both the Del Mar Flower Pot Holder and Venetian Flower Pot Holder have an integrated bracket has two 3/8" holes for easy screw in installation.

The Del Mar Flower Pot Holder and Venetian Flower Pot Holders can also be custom made in quantities of 6 or more. Please call us for more information 1-800-896-0978 or 1-760-603-0888.

I have seen these & other kinds at Home Depot or Lowes. You could have some trailing plants too. Really looks good on fences.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Those pots are great BUT you have to pick the right plants for sun/shade and they need regular watering or they dry out very quickly.

Looking at that space again I'm guessing it doesn't get much direct sun so almost any plant is going to struggle. I think I would either pave the whole lot or perhaps think about putting down decking all over to create a proper courtyard and then get some large knockout terracotta pots stragegically placed with some shade loving plants and perhaps a water feature to take the eye away from that A/C unit.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Flower Pot Holders

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Flower Pot Holders sometimes called Flower Pot Hangers are a great way to dress up any plain fence with beauty of flowers in your favorite flower pot. Our Fence Top Flower Pot Holder can be easily slipped over the top of any wood fence that has a 2x4 or 2x6 top rail. Or if you want a more decorative look our Del Mar Flower Pot Holder or Venetian Flower Pot Holder can be screw into any flat surface. Both the Del Mar Flower Pot Holder and Venetian Flower Pot Holder have an integrated bracket has two 3/8" holes for easy screw in installation.

The Del Mar Flower Pot Holder and Venetian Flower Pot Holders can also be custom made in quantities of 6 or more. Please call us for more information 1-800-896-0978 or 1-760-603-0888.

I have seen these & other kinds at Home Depot or Lowes. You could have some trailing plants too. Really looks good on fences.
    Those are great! Really nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Those pots are great BUT you have to pick the right plants for sun/shade and they need regular watering or they dry out very quickly.

Looking at that space again I'm guessing it doesn't get much direct sun so almost any plant is going to struggle. I think I would either pave the whole lot or perhaps think about putting down decking all over to create a proper courtyard and then get some large knockout terracotta pots stragegically placed with some shade loving plants and perhaps a water feature to take the eye away from that A/C unit.
    Yes, the space only gets about 2-3 hours direct sunlight at most in the afternoon (and that is IF it is even sunny - I do live in Oregon gray most of the time).

The only "Rose" that will thrive in deep shade, the fully double flowers look like perfectly-formed Roses, held well above the bright green foliage. Plants of Double Up™ Red branch naturally to create full mounds of color all summer long.

Impatiens Double Up™ Red

From White Flower Farm.com. For shade.
    Common Name: Impatiens
    Hardiness Zone: 1 - 11 S / 1 - 11 W
    Blooms In: July-Sept

Butterfly lilac is the name of the pinky one.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information