Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my foyer

Wow! MrN bought on recently for around 50-100... We really need to start exporting furniture & agas I guess...

Damn it though Sluce, if I had room for the train station seats, I'd have one!!!
    Free Charmed.

Wow! MrN bought on recently for around 50-100... We really need to start exporting furniture & agas I guess...

Damn it though Sluce, if I had room for the train station seats, I'd have one!!!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I was thinking a bench or some sort along the back wall under the artwork. I forgot to say there is a hall tree to the left of the door when you enter.
    Love everybody's ideas. Lots of great ideas to pull from. With what you said above about the back wall and warming it up, you could do a bench with a loose fabric cushion or an upholstered bench or settee. Fabric brings warmth, even if it's a no-color look. Your walls are cafe au lait? You could do a natural linen cover for the warm months and a fabric cover for the cold months. It's nice to have flexibility.

Like they said here art work on the walls, - either a gallery of different things you like or a single picture. No matter what you do furniture or art wise, make sure something makes an impact. Negative space makes an impact as in less is more. Otherwise your eye wanders and everything looks the same. You want pow when you enter and pow can be subtle. The foyer sets the tone for the rest of the house. It's tells people what they might expect. You can also transform the foyer into a living space rather than just a pass through entrance.

To warm up - an area rug under the table, a console table with (leather/fabric) ottomans tucked underneath, art work or an old mirror above.

Center table can have a sculpture or framed family photos around the table. Since you have lots of family drop by it's fun when someone sees a photo of themselves when they walk in, it starts conversation, laughter. I usually do family related photos in the non public areas, but this could be fun. Lots of space in NYC is so tight that a large foyer is like an extra room. I've done foyer/dining/library combinations and people like congregating where there's food and drink and something to look at. Now you'll never get them out of the foyer. Your house looks big so you may not need that overflow, but seating in a foyer also offers privacy when two people want to have a quiet conversation away from other guests. With designing, I do anything to keep people out of the kitchen and keep them in other rooms.

A*O

A great rug would make all the difference. A big one.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I agree with A*O about the huge rug and I also think that a chaise lounge to make it cosier with something decorative on the table.

Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Sleuth, that chaise is beautiful.
    Free Charmed.

Oh I know.. I wish I had the space for it!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I do like that chaise a lot and it would be warmer than a bench. hmmmmm

I have a carpet under the table but don't like it so I will look for something new. I shopped a little this weekend but didn't see anything that jumped out at me to put on the table. I feel like it needs to be something with some height. Pictures are a nice idea but I have tons in the other rooms.

The back wall got some attention this weekend. All the artwork is framed in the matching frames and are all rectangular, with some hanging verticle. This weekend I found a set of 3 oval frames. Two are reddish tortoise shell and the other is green tortoise shell. The artwork in each is "bawdy" Victorian ladies. Hard to explain but they are bright water colors of "proper" Victorian woman in provacative poses - all have the come hither look on their faces. I fell in love as soon as I saw them. The shop owner was out so I need to call him today and try to negotiate for the set. They are perfect because they keep with the theme but the other artwork is more maps of the town through the years, an advertisement from the 1880s selling the houses in my neighborhood, and paintings of the town through the years. I think the oval frames mixed in with the rectanagles will be good and that the bright "Bawdy" ladies will be conversation pieces. That chaise would really fit better then too because I could see these "ladies" posing on it. Hahaha

they are similiar to this but in bright colors

one is this exact pose except not so much nip showing and she is looking right at the artist with a little smile on her face.
    Last edited by sluce; November 7th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

the bawdy victorian ladies sound awesome, sluce. and yes, mixing rectangular and oval frames is definitely a good idea. i'd still get other frames for the other artwork to mix it up a bit so they're not all the same. you can also do interesting stuff like find a big antique gold frame and put a small but meaningful piece of art in it, with a large border.

i do like the chaise but admit i'd like a bench or pew better, but i'm more spartan that way and i like clean lines.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Love the bawdy ladies Sluce, good luck negotiating with the shop owner.
    Free Charmed.

now that we know she's into "bawdy lady art" ...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Just hanging some pictures of your kin Mel.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I say move the table, put in some disco lighting, a great sound system, and dance your ass off!

LOL - there is a disco ball in the basement. It came with the house but it has been fun for parties.

Update: I got the 3 oval pieces of the Bawdy Ladies. Now I am looking for frames for the existing artwork to add color, texture, etc. I also found a chaise I think may work. It is the shape of the one below but the back and sides are covered in a deep, rich burgundy leather. Then the bottom has a covered cushion. I like that with the cushion I could change out colors as I want. Your thoughts please?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information