Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my foyer

i think if you already have art and are happy with it, all you need are a couple of statement pieces to jazz it up a bit - something beautiful and unique to go on top of the table, a bench or something similar to go against the back wall below the art, and a sculpture or something like that (like the rocking horse in the pic above).

what kind of frames do you have on the artwork? playing around with different types of frames is also cool, you can look around for different types of antique frames and mix it up a little, especially if most of the pictures are by the same artist. you also said you have old maps and stuff on the walls. i think it would be fun to mix up maps and pictures and other framed documents, in different types of frames, so it doesn't look to 'matchy'. sometimes it's just about rearranging what you already have in a way that draws the eye.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    ^^That is how I have the art now but none hung so low. In all there are 11 pieces hung on that wall - not all by the same artist - but the theme is all about our town and the history. I would love to find an old church pew....

I have had this house for 16 years and have never felt the foyer gave the vibe I wanted. The front porch makes me happy but I just never felt the feel continued into the foyer. I like the feel of all my other rooms. I also want to get the pocket doors restored but the previous owner had them sealed in the walls. From I have heard and seen in other homes in the neighborhood, the pocket doors are glass panels.
    I love the idea of all of the art reflecting the history and aesthetic of your town. I have seen some really beautiful church pews at antique shops - the best are the ones in small towns. You can also occasionally find them for sale online. I highly recommend one because it's such a classic piece, and it's also something that you can pass on to future generations because it works in almost any setting.

I don't know if you're familiar with Pinterest, but they have some really interesting home decor ideas from time to time.

I wasn't wearing my reading glasses and thought sluce had started a thread needing help with her lover.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

yeah pinterest has some cool stuff to get ideas from.
    antique movie theater seats are also cool, though they did get terribly trendy for a while. i still like the look though.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love the movie theater seats - cool! I had not seen that before. I also think that a great light fixture can really make a statement and set the tone of a room. A pretty chandelier, an industrial fixture made of metals, or something organic and earthy (my parents have a chandelier that is made of a huge tree branch and it's stunning. I've never seen anything like it)

Lobes - LOL I've been seeing someone but can't say it is a tru love match but it is fun for now.

Sput - the frames may be the problem. They are all the same wood and are boring! I like the theater seats but think I like the church pew better. It could fill the lower part of that back wall and provide seating for parties.

I have an amazing chandelier in the foyer and am very happy with that. It is all crystal and is a period piece. Bitch to clean but gorgeous!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

then you need to go shopping for old frames! they're all over the place - flea markets, antique fairs, etc... they can look great even if they're a little banged up - gives them character! you just need to have someone good to do the glass and backs and stuff. don't be afraid to mix and match, have some gold ones, some wood, you can paint one or two of them black, etc...

i ain't helpin unless you SWEAR to me that you pronounce it "Foy-yay" and not "foy-yer" cuz that shit ain't cute.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I know that we have a settle in our kitchen, but I'm really not a fan if them, and this space is great. It looks like a great (as in amazing as well as sizeable) space.

I think that I'd go with a couple (pair?) of love seats to create a "quiet" area, I'm thinking something with legs (so you can see the space underneath) so that the feeling of spaciousness is continued. I ADORE your hall tree - I didn't know you called them that, but it's great.

I quickly googled some pics & this one jumped out at me.. I'm not sure if it's to your taste but it has some elements that I would incorporate if I could - legs (feeling of space), sophisticated wicker (not nec that color) and a little upholstery for comfort & to look inviting. Plus I remember your bathroom counter (which was fabulous & I've stored the idea away for future reference) so I thought the style/era might match the ready if the house. Please don't be put off by the colors...

NB there is no wicker, but there could be, in a natural color with colorful cushions... Just an idea.

Victorian styleť without being too dark or heavy. "Hint-of-Victoria" as it were?
    I really like the picture SouthrnBell posted of the desk/chair/photos, the grouping of photos (with different frames) is an artifice I've used before too. I really like the legs on the desk, but I'm not a fan of shabby-chic finishes, it just looks tatty to me. *saves pic to pinterest account - btw pinterest is addictive!*

Just a thought - as much as I love the Victorian waiting room seating (that pic you posted), it strikes me that the seating facing outwards is great for strangers waiting for a train, but in a home, to be inviting having seats facing each other (even diagonally in a wide chevron or across sone space) makes the mind think "inviting" not "waiting room", if you see what I mean? It's all psychological IMO & I think that you will understand what I'm trying to say.
    Last edited by Novice; November 5th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I have some fancy hats hanging there.
    I hear ya.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Spur - I will do some reframing. A friend told me last night that we have a place near by that sells used hotel furniture and that they sell all size frames (with hotel art) for 10-40. I can take out their art and still use the frame and maybe the matting.

Grim - of course it is a Foy-yay!!! Now give me your idea.

Novice - I do like the 1st piece you posted and may go in that direction if I don't find a pew I like. The round seating is a joke. I love the piece because it is so unique but I would never make it the focul point and center of my Foy-YAY!!

Twitchy - you know me sooooo well. LOL
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I wasn't wearing my reading glasses and thought sluce had started a thread needing help with her lover.
    We would have hopped right on that!

Sluce-please tell me you have help cleaning that place!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yes McJag. I have a house keeper.

It is too much house for just me and my daughter but I fell in love with it and bought it. Back then I was dating someone who had kids who stayed with us every other weekend. I also took in a girl who was in foster care and got pregnant. Her foster parent couldn't keep her and her baby. I loved her and let her and baby live in the apartment in my basement for years. She stayed with me until she finished high school and college, got married and now has another child. It was a great situation for both of us. She had a place to live and she helped with watching my daughter sometimes.

Now my daughter has gone off to college so it is just me. There always seems to be someone coming over though. Neighbors come over at night all the time. My stepsons come over with their spouses and my step granddaughter. I will probably keep it and eventually deed it over to my daughter so she can someday raise her family here if she stays in the area and has kids.

You have made good use of it for sure! A good family investment for decades to come.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I had no idea there are so many type of church pews. I think I want the old fashion sleigh style. I found a place in Lancaster where the Amilsh will make me one that looks old in case I can't find an antique in the area that I can afford. I found one but it is $7,500 and I can't go there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information