• Hardwood

15 68.18%
  • Laminate

3 13.64%
  • Other

4 18.18%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardwood or laminate?

I love love love hardwood floors. So elegant and classic.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Gold Member

When we go house-hunting in about a year, laminate floors will be a deal-breaker. We just hate them; they look and feel cheap. I had them in my last house and hated them.

I never thought that they'd make so much noise; but then again so did the parquet flooring we had when I was growing up. I just thought it wouldn't creak....
    Free Charmed.

Just to be sure..can someone define exactly what they mean by 'laminate'?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Interesting.... anything not wood all the way through is called laminate here...

Twitchy!I like their big dog!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Interesting.... anything not wood all the way through is called laminate here...

Twitchy!I like their big dog!
    That is what I was wanting to establish. It is either solid wood, or anything else-including laminated wood floors.

Interesting that it is hardwood or laminate..when in fact some laminates are hardwood laminates(oak) and some solid wood floors (especially in old colonial houses) are pine-a softwood. Just saying. Plus I usually think solid wood, then laminated wood, then laminates(not any wood at all-like formica)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    That is what I was wanting to establish. It is either solid wood, or anything else-including laminated wood floors.

Interesting that it is hardwood or laminate..when in fact some laminates are hardwood laminates(oak) and some solid wood floors (especially in old colonial houses) are pine-a softwood. Just saying. Plus I usually think solid wood, then laminated wood, then laminates(not any wood at all-like formica)
    Pine floors are even worse than laminates; it wears out faster. The place I'm renting had newish pine floors when I moved in, and through normal wear and tear I've put dozens of tiny little dents in it. Stupid cheap floors.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Pine floors are even worse than laminates; it wears out faster. The place I'm renting had newish pine floors when I moved in, and through normal wear and tear I've put dozens of tiny little dents in it. Stupid cheap floors.
    Pine floors are touted as being 'colonial' and all. They do dent easily..but the idea behind it is that it gives them 'character'..lol..that is what the spin is anyway. I think they are more along the lines of old historic east coast homes.

Pine is a softwood..even the heartwood is not as durable as a hardwood like oak. You can always tell a softwood from a hardwood because with a softwood you can make an indentation with your fingernail. VERY hard to do that with a hardwood. I cannot imagine using a softwood like pine for anything other than a very low traffic area.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Pine floors are touted as being 'colonial' and all. They do dent easily..but the idea behind it is that it gives them 'character'..lol..that is what the spin is anyway. I think they are more along the lines of old historic east coast homes.

Pine is a softwood..even the heartwood is not as durable as a hardwood like oak. You can always tell a softwood from a hardwood because with a softwood you can make an indentation with your fingernail. VERY hard to do that with a hardwood. I cannot imagine using a softwood like pine for anything other than a very low traffic area.
    To me pine floors are a cheap substitute for hardwood flooring. I do my best to preserve this floor and I don't wear shoes in the house at all (only socks) so I suppose it's not as bad as it could be but some damage is inevitable. When I buy another house I'm going to only go with high-quality flooring and surfaces. If the house doesn't have them already, I'll put them in. I won't be able to do it all right away, but it'll happen.

Wow! They put pine on the floors? That's totally unsuitable! No wonder you struggle!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's a continuous floor throughout the whole ground floor. It was put down before they built the walls. And it's a very open plan house so if we try to do a 'patch' it's going to stick out like the proverbial dog's bollox. Also, with time the sealant gets darker so matching the colour will be a pain. I'm afraid the only way is to do the whole lot and it's a BIG job.

We have the same problem with the walls. They need a paint job but we can't just do one wall or one 'room'. We have to do the lot including a very high cathedral ceiling, the stairwell etc.
    I have the same problem with the open floor plan, A*O. I pulled all the ground floor carpeting a few years ago and installed ceramic tiles because of pets. I struggled with choosing between tiles and hardwood but in the end decided the hardwood would not be suitable for pets...and have regretted the decision ever since. But because it encompasses the entire floor, it is going to be quite the expense to replace them with no real need other than I don't like the tiles.

Same with painting...there are no real distinct different rooms because every room opens into another. First problem is every room then must remain the same color. Second problem is I can't do any of it myself since everything has to be done by professionals with scaffolding. Huge expense again~

Playful~

Gold Member

hardwood, i'd say go for that if you can

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information