Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: The Gain and Febreze Thread

I cannot stand the scent of Gain. It is so strong and chemically smelling that it sets off a migraine so bad it's like my head is going to explode. Horrible stuff.

Febreze is ok, but I mostly stick to earthy scents for my Scentsy burners. They aren't too strong and last for a long time.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I am allergic to Gain.

I do use the spray Febreze sometimes on the cat beds and stuff, but never the Gain co-branded ones. I hate those plug-in artificial scents, they are way too strong. A subtle handbasket of potpurri is about as scented as my house gets.
    Wow your poor cats, sleeping in a bed of chemicals. It clings to their fur then they bathe themselves and now its in their systems.

Febreze Ingredients

Below you'll find a list of just some of the 87 chemicals found by the EWG in Febreze Air Effects, listed in order of their toxicity to humans:

• BHT - Known as a neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, skin eye and lung irritator
    • Acetaldehyde - Known to cause cancer, toxic to reproduction and development, immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin, skin, eye and lung irritator
    • "Fragrance" - One of the three ingredients actually disclosed, it's a neurotoxin, immunotoxin and allergen
    • Propylene Glycol - Causes cancer, allergies, toxic to immune system, accumulates in the system, non-reproductive organ system toxin, is classified with "enhanced skin absorption" and irritates the skin, eye and lung
    • 1,3-Dichloro-2-propanol - Carcinogenic (causes cancer)
    • Limonene - Allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Methyl pyrrolidone - Toxin to reproduction and development, allergen and immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Alcohol denatured - Also disclosed in the ingredients of Febreze, it's linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, organ system toxicity and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Butylphenyl methylpropion al - allergen, immunotoxin and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Ethyl acetate - linked to developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, organic system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Geraniol - Linked to allergies, immunotoxicity, organi system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritation
    • Linalool - allergen, immunotoxin, and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Benzaldehyde - neurotoxin, and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether - non-reproductive organ system toxicity
    • Ethylhezanol - developmental and reproductive toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • Hexyl cinnamal - allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    • And way too many more....

You can find the EWG's full report on the dangers of Febreze and other common cleaners here.

Febreze doesn't purify, but only masks odors. But essential oils can actually purify the air and eliminates odor.

The Dangers of Febreze - Sustainable Baby Steps
    Brookie and pinkbunnyslippers like this.

Holy shit.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yep, same as I've always said, everything will kill you these days. If the cats hated it they would have let me know the first time, like when I washed the litter pans in something they didn't like and I haven't done that again.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I used Febreze once years ago when I couldn't handle the smell of puppy wee on my old couch. It worked, but then I'd probably pump my house full of chemicals to get rid of that stench. Nowadays, I'd just buy a new couch. Or a bean bag if I was broke. Anything but Febreze.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

On the bright side, my pets smell great! And the Humane Society says it's fine.

Leaving the purported ingredients of the Air Effects product aside (and I'm not about to believe some fruitbat mommyblogger or the all-chemicals-bad advocacy group she got her information from without results from some independent source), the active ingredient in the fabric refresher products is a cyclodextrin. We've all probably ingested it at some point. It's derived from cornstarch.

Ingredients: purified water, alcohol, cyclodextrin, modified polydimethicone, hydrogenated castor oil, alkanolamine, citric acid, quaternary ammonium chloride, benzisothiazolinone and various fragrances. Source: https://www.pg.com/productsafety/ing..._Varieties.pdf

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^I'm not that rabidly anti-chemical, just the unnecessary crap. If there's a choice between chemical (plug-ins) or natural (cut flowers, open a window) I would always choose natural. Better for me, better for the environment.

I do love the smell of nag champa though but I rarely burn it, and I still have to open all the doors and windows.
    twitchy2.0 and KrisNine like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I love nag champa but my husband is super sensitive and I just can't burn it anymore. I do keep some in a drawer. I miss when my daughter was living in Rexdale in Toronto (large South Asian population means cheap incense!)
    Brookie likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

we use Febreze in the bathroom. the Tide brand. love it. if it's going to kill me in a restroom, at least i'll enjoy the smell
    greysfang, teforde23 and o0Amber0o like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I love Nag Champa. I'm a dirty hippie at heart. My SO and kid HATE it.

incense makes me sneeze but i like papier d'armÚnie, probably because it doesn't burn as long. smells lovely too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I just looked up making your own laundry soda. It's incredibly easy. I probably won't be purchasing it anymore, lol. You only need a tablespoon per load btw.
    How To Make Washing Soda
    I've made that twice. No way 1-2 Tbspns gets your laundry clean. I had to use closer to a cup and even then, my clothes weren't as clean as when I just throw baking soda in with my Cheer.

I love Nag Champa too. I'll sometimes just leave a box of it in the car.
    The one tablespoon was for the Nellie's laundry soda. I misspoke about the do-it-yourself stuff. Nellie's has other stuff in it besides baking soda. I don't suppose just cooking baking soda til it's grainy is going to be enough to really clean well. I was not thinking it through in my earlier post.

Nellie's Laundry Soda

Q.What's in the Laundry Soda?

A.SODA ASH - (SODIUM CARBONATE) also known as washing soda. In domestic use, it's used as a water softener during laundry.

SODIUM METASILICATE - A major use is as a builder (a material that enhances or maintains the cleaning efficiency of a surfactant, principally by inactivating water hardness) in soaps and detergents

SODIUM CHLORIDE - Sodium chloride, also known as common salt, table salt, or halite. As well as the familiar uses of salt in cooking, salt is used in many applications, from manufacturing pulp and paper to setting dyes in textiles and fabric, to producing soaps and detergents.

CITRIC ACID - This is a weak organic acid. It serves as an environmentally benign cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.

The Detergent is a coconut based (LAURYL) Ethoxylated fatty alcohol. Coconut oil on its own will wash nothing. It is therefore chemically modified so that it becomes surface active and thus performs like a detergent. This commodity is widely used by many detergent manufacturers because it is readily biodegradable, non toxic and mild and efficient. It is also NOT Petroleum based.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    ^I'm not that rabidly anti-chemical, just the unnecessary crap. If there's a choice between chemical (plug-ins) or natural (cut flowers, open a window) I would always choose natural. Better for me, better for the environment.

I do love the smell of nag champa though but I rarely burn it, and I still have to open all the doors and windows.

Speaking of less chemicals (even though its not an issue of mine) my hair has gone whack on me the past 6 months or so, so I've switched to a non-sulfate argan oil based shampoo and conditioner and I cannot rave enough about how it has helped my hair situation. Plus, one less handful of chemicals 3 or so times per week can't be a bad thing.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

fgg

i use baking soda and vinegar to clean my front loading washing machine once a month. i also use it to clean the kitchen sink drain and the dishwasher.

my favorite is the apple cinnamon medley air wick spritzer. we have them throughout the house.

Apple Cinnamon Medley® Freshmatic® Ultra Automatic Spray | Air Wick®
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information