Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furniture advice

A*O

That link doesn't work?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

This is the room in question. The paint color on the walls is much less "mustard" than it looks.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

cool room though; i'd love to fill it

I would definitely go with nuetrals. The walls and floors have strong color. Maybe you might want to think about repainting. I can't tell what the colors actually are but it looks like the floors are cherry and the walls are an ochre color. I'd get a color wheel if I were you. You can look what is in the same color family. Do you think the walls go with the floors? Pictures are so hard to jude by.

The floors are awesome, btw. Gorgeousness.

A*O

If the walls are less 'mustard' then you have a fantastic blank canvas. I still think you need a Fuck Off rug and then keep the furniture you've already picked, especially that lovely soft sagey green. As you can tell I have a fundamental hatred of beige and all that it stands for. Cream is OK but it's very high maintenance as you have to keep it immaculately clean so it's totally impractical if you have messy kids/adults/pets. You might also pick some colours/tones in that lovely fireplace brickwork and work with that too, although I'd steer away from the pinks/mauves/purples I can see in the picture.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

those floors are awesome! and i love the fireplace; so cozy!!! and that great indented mantle above it - really cool!

I looked at the lease today and I cannot paint without written approval from the landlord. We lease because the Brit is advised not to buy in case he is transferred. I would actually like to paint the master bedroom and one of the guest rooms. I will be a good tenant and try to get approval to do this around December. tee hee

Well, A*O's previous color advice has inspired me and, assuming the two pieces look good together, I am going to go with the couch and chair/ottoman, but I am going to try to find a rug that has some cream, some green, some chocolate, maybe red and that burnt orange color. I have decided that burnt orange and chocolate colored pillows would look really awesome on that couch, assuming it works and is comfy. I could also do a throw.

The walls seem a slight bit lighter when seeing them in person, less mustardy for sure. I measured the floor off so I would have an idea of how big a rug I will need. I do want to get a rather large one and just have the wood floors showing a few feet around the perimeter. I can already tell they are going to show dust etc.

I think having a major piece, like the sofa, in such a light color will lighten the room. The floor is already dark so splashing color there will be okay. I am going to try to do pictures with linen mattes so that will lighten the walls up a bit.

My cat Godfrey likes to eat floral arrangements but I am going to try to find a large urn and put some of that tall grass stuff in it in one of the corners. You can get it in that burnt orange color with some gold. I think that would look nice. It will have to be tall enough where he cannot get to it though. lol

All of you have given me some really great ideas!! Thanks!!!

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    The walls seem a slight bit lighter when seeing them in person, less mustardy for sure. I measured the floor off so I would have an idea of how big a rug I will need. I do want to get a rather large one and just have the wood floors showing a few feet around the perimeter. I can already tell they are going to show dust etc.
    Don't be scared of 'dark' colours with that wooden floor. I have the same colour wooden floors upstairs and down in my house and have some really bold rugs (I'm a bit of a rug addict) and even the darker ones bring out the warm tones in the floors. If you pick something too pale it will throw the floor into sharper contrast which can sometimes look too harsh.
    Dame Edna Everage

Spent the day shopping. The chair was too taupe and the couch wasn't in the store. We aren't ordering something we haven't sat on. We ended up deciding on this and are getting the sofa, loveseat, and chair/ottoman:

We also found this pub table set at another store for a great price so even though we currently have two dining room tables, we are getting this as well and making a nice donation to Goodwill:

I also found a great sofa table where we are getting the sofa. We did find the perfect rug but Lord Brit cannot resign himself to paying almost $1,000 for an 8x10 rug when we are already getting so much other stuff. We shall continue our search for a less expensive yet contemporary red rug. lol

That room is NICE! Wish I were decorating it. The floors are gorgeous. Don't be afraid of a darker, more colorful rug with the neutral furniture, the floor will look warm and rich. And happy kitties make any room look better
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

A*O

That furniture looks great - better than your original choice. The feet are more elegant and less chunky. You still need some bright cusions though. The timber seats of the dining set will tie in beautifully with the floor. Tell Lord Brit that $1000 for a rug that will last a lifetime is worth evey cent. Deny him sex until he caves in.
    Dame Edna Everage

I had originally looked at this set online and really liked it but thought the sofa was pillow-back, which I despise. It isn't but looks like it is. When we saw it and I realized it wasn't pillow back, I fell in love with it.

The cushion colors I am actually planning on are reds, chocolates, and that burnt orange color. I am going to try to get the salesman to the side today and see if I can get him down a bit on that perfect rug or work us up a deal since we are buying such a lot from the store. I doubt it will work but doesn't hurt to ask!

As for the sex business, I think promising him more might be more effective. lol

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    I am going to try to get the salesman to the side today and see if I can get him down a bit on that perfect rug or work us up a deal since we are buying such a lot from the store. I doubt it will work but doesn't hurt to ask!
    Hell yeah! A salesman isn't going to risk losing a big order over a rug. They ALWAYS have some wriggle space on price so go for it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information