Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen in the Victorian era

I love old Victorian houses.
    It'd be cooler painted fun colors on the exterior. Like green/blue, etc.

I used to love Victorians, 'til I owned one and lived with the drafts and the energy bills and the plumbing problems and the dry rot and whatnot. It was gorgeous, though.

I agree that the exterior could be nice with some color--Victorians weren't usually painted white. I also think that the nook-and-cranny rooms of these houses really benefit from decluttering, even though the style of the era was very fussy and tended to have lots of layers of stuff in the decor (rugs upon rugs, heavy curtains, ferns, knickknacks). Today, take away the debris and you can see the beautiful details in the interiors--the wood trim and doors are just amazing. Not something we would take for granted now, and it deserves to be spotlighted. These owners are obscuring all that.

The wallpaper is atrocious. There's no excuse except extreme poverty. How can they stand it? Old wallpaper is one thing and can have some charm, but peeling off the walls, no.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I love this house from the outside. But everything inside is just heinous. That peeling wall paper has got to go....
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I can understand them wanting to keep things original but the peeling wallpaper is ridiculous. Do they think that is what most homes looked like in that era? I don't think they get it. Yes, victorian style is very fussy and ornate but their home just looks dirty and run down.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

No. There's original/vintage and then there's dilapidated. Why the peeling wallpaper? And things like the ugly dresser looks like it came out of a dump circa 1980. It would be an amazing house if it were restored or just cleaned up a little.

I do love the stove and furnace, and at least the dining room looks neat enough. But still what a waste of a great Victorian.

^^ Yeah, a lot of the stuff inside is just junk. That's fine, but does the house then need to be presented to me as some kind of style example?

Also, I looked more carefully at the exterior and noticed that the chimney was added well after the original construction, and that where there should be a nice set of front doors there's a big chunk of white wood.

It's a neat house but sort of a mess--someone has given us the "Before" picture, without the "After."
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I just noticed what you described about the chimney and the walled up front-door space. I hadn't paid close attention before but now that you point it out it's horrible. The chimney completely blocks one of the three pretty windows of the top floor. That big blank white wall where the front doors should be, it's weird and out of place. It's kind of heart-breaking what they did to this house.

I agree it is pretty weird to present it as a style, it's just a run-down house with badly executed additions and modifications...

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I just noticed what you described about the chimney and the walled up front-door space. I hadn't paid close attention before but now that you point it out it's horrible. The chimney completely blocks one of the three pretty windows of the top floor. That big blank white wall where the front doors should be, it's weird and out of place. It's kind of heart-breaking what they did to this house.

I agree it is pretty weird to present it as a style, it's just a run-down house with badly executed additions and modifications...
    That's actually one of the first things I noticed about the outside, although it didn't occur to me that it was an addition. I thought to myself "wow, it would be really charming from the outside if it wasn't for that funky fireplace chimney and wood board." Glad I'm not alone!!
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

The toile wallpaper is beautiful, but I just don't understand these people
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Gold Member

I've always loved Victorian houses, but not the cluttered style of decorating. That aside, fine, I understand the appeal of authenticity, but re-paper the freakin' walls already!

And I agree - HORRIBLE placement of the fireplace and chimney!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information