Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A former firehouse

czb

^^^ our house is like you described, above. the seismic engineer figured out a way to do all of it and within a reasonable budget. pretty invasive, though, and it took ~3 weeks. and it has withstood both major earthquakes (1906 + 1989).

but the firehouse isn't that expensive so i can't guess from that if it has been reinforced. probably modestly priced because it is not in the most interesting neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ our house is like you described, above. the seismic engineer figured out a way to do all of it and within a reasonable budget. pretty invasive, though, and it took ~3 weeks. and it has withstood both major earthquakes (1906 + 1989).

but the firehouse isn't that expensive so i can't guess from that if it has been reinforced. probably modestly priced because it is not in the most interesting neighborhood.
    So you have a house that predates 1906? Very jealous here. Is it in San Francisco itself? Pacific Heights? If so must kill you out of envy.

Alot too depends on where you are located-firm ground or fill/unstable unconsolidated alluvial soils can make a big difference.

I think it is great that you went through with that retrofitting and I bet your place is great..and safer too! Much jealousy here!

* it is 'unsettling' to see how severe the damage was in the Marina district in the 89 quake, when the epicenter was over 60 miles away.

And what would happen if the 06 quake happened now? Forget about San Francisco..what about San Jose area(much larger pop.) which was devastated then..or even up to Santa Rosa, also ruined(and much of it burned as well). The worst tragedy and single loss of life was in San Jose/Agnew then, not in San Francisco itself. What would happen now to that area...
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

czb

^^^ please don't kill me.

yes, it predates 1906. not the oldest house on the street though, there is a really nice one that is ~189n. so cute it has a name. and there is one at the other end that is <1900 but they uglified it by adding too many additions including a turret. yes i am serious.

i agree with what you say about the type of ground the house is built on. not sure about what type it was in northridge, but the building quality of those houses that fell was pretty weak. and of course, the marina here is all fill. but people rebuild those homes and do seismic work on them. not sure what the point is because they will probably fail again and they are $$$.

as far as a future quake, what worries me most about SF is the bay bridge. it is a structural FAIL. hate that bridge. hate hate HATE.

^^^ please don't kill me.

yes, it predates 1906. not the oldest house on the street though, there is a really nice one that is ~189n. so cute it has a name. and there is one at the other end that is <1900 but they uglified it by adding too many additions including a turret. yes i am serious.

i agree with what you say about the type of ground the house is built on. not sure about what type it was in northridge, but the building quality of those houses that fell was pretty weak. and of course, the marina here is all fill. but people rebuild those homes and do seismic work on them. not sure what the point is because they will probably fail again and they are $$$.

as far as a future quake, what worries me most about SF is the bay bridge. it is a structural FAIL. hate that bridge. hate hate HATE.
    They had some program on recently about that, and the new bridge that is replacing it. With the one big tower in the middle, and how the bridge is being built to 'expand and contract' and all. But it will be what..ten or more years till it is done and it is like ten years overdue and four times the original price or whatever.

They say it is being built to absolutely survive any quake and be a key pathway for immediate relief and rescue operations.

They also said the worst threat to the Bay area now is the Hayward fault in the East bay.

*I bet it still looks good even with a turret. Sorry, you must perish. Will gather posse together.

czb

the turret is hideous! can't believe the permit department allowed it. a total eyesore.

i know they are rebuilding the bay bridge but there are constant problems with it. but even after it is done, it will still be a mess - it will still have that stupid island in the middle of it and the on-ramps from the island are so short they are dangerous. and the way the roadway curves near the island is dangerous, too. that's why there are so many pileups there. HATE that bridge.

the turret is hideous! can't believe the permit department allowed it. a total eyesore.

i know they are rebuilding the bay bridge but there are constant problems with it. but even after it is done, it will still be a mess - it will still have that stupid island in the middle of it and the on-ramps from the island are so short they are dangerous. and the way the roadway curves near the island is dangerous, too. that's why there are so many pileups there. HATE that bridge.
    Sorry, but I still am declaring jihad.

What about the rest of the bridges/infrastructure in the Bay area?

Have they actually done something about the SF water supply to ensure that once your retrofitted home in PH (for which you must perish) survives the quake, it does not burn to the ground with much of the rest of the city? Can't count on Van Ness firebreaks and good luck/changing winds to save PH the next time.

czb

i'm not in PH, danielle steele is not my neighbor.

they did work on the water supply years ago so hopefully those problems will be avoided.

work on the gg bridge is constant. i think that one is structurally ok. btw, saw the cops pull off a potential jumper yesterday when i was crossing.

work on the san rafael bridge is mainly done, that one seems safe.

carquinez bridge seems rickety IMHO and scares me.

rarely cross the san mateo but that one seems ok.

maybe palermo will cruise this thread and give us her input as well.

i'm not in PH, danielle steele is not my neighbor.

they did work on the water supply years ago so hopefully those problems will be avoided.

work on the gg bridge is constant. i think that one is structurally ok. btw, saw the cops pull off a potential jumper yesterday when i was crossing.

work on the san rafael bridge is mainly done, that one seems safe.

carquinez bridge seems rickety IMHO and scares me.

rarely cross the san mateo but that one seems ok.

maybe palermo will cruise this thread and give us her input as well.
    You are probably lying just cause you want to live, but ok, I will accept that you do not live in PH, and call off the jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Are those the after pix?
    I wondered that too LOL
    beauty is only skin deep (where's the scalpel?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information