Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First harvest!

I didn't know you could just go and buy ladybugs in a shop. I'll have to look into that. But won't they just fly away? I guess I could trap them under floating row covers to keep them there and make them do my bidding... wait, I'm starting to think like the ants

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I didn't know you could just go and buy ladybugs in a shop. I'll have to look into that. But won't they just fly away? I guess I could trap them under floating row covers to keep them there and make them do my bidding... wait, I'm starting to think like the ants
    You can buy them at Home Depot for one & most garden centers. You water your stuff or wait until after a rain ,then release at dusk. They just get to work! That is the instruction I recall,but detailed instructions are included with the lady bugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks for the tips, McJag. I'm in North Europe, so I'll have to see if the garden centres here have any. I have to try it, because the aphids have ruined a whole arugula crop, are destroying my new radishes before they can get established, and have begun to attack the young lettuce now, too.

Oh, and the apple tree! We'll only get a couple dozen apples this year because of them So much apple pie that will never be this year

Thanks for the tips, McJag. I'm in North Europe, so I'll have to see if the garden centres here have any. I have to try it, because the aphids have ruined a whole arugula crop, are destroying my new radishes before they can get established, and have begun to attack the young lettuce now, too.

Oh, and the apple tree! We'll only get a couple dozen apples this year because of them So much apple pie that will never be this year
    Nooo! That is worth crying over!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    and I still have water on the ground. Muck where my garden should be. The news said just yesterday that our area actually got less rain than average for July. Lying bastards.

Maybe a garden next year.
    The Mr's uncle gave me a couple of tomato plants earlier... his have loads of tomoatos on and mine have a few measly flowers. He lives 3 doors down so it's not that he's had better weather????

You're welcome to some of our apples! I've grow apples & weeds this year (very disappointed! ) but its the middle of August & I'm still wearing fleeces!
    Free Charmed.

My weed plant is getting there.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

ok..if you eat an unripe hardy kiwi fruit just so you can have had one before the birds get to them, it is like eating a leaf of that one house plant that causes the horrible scratchy throat. I would not recommend anyone do this. The birds can fucking have them if they want them that bad.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^What house plant does that?
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    ^What house plant does that?
    The common Philodendron.

Definition

This is poisoning caused by eating pieces of the philodendron plant.

Poisonous Ingredient

Oxalic acid and asparagine, a protein found in the philodendron plant. The leaves and stems of the plant are the most dangerous.

Symptoms

Slurred speech
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Swelling of mouth
    Swelling of tongue
    Burning in mouth and throat
    Burning and painful eyes
    Home Care

Wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth. Give milk to drink.

Before Calling Emergency

Determine the following information:

Patient's age, weight, and condition
    Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
    Time it was swallowed
    Amount swallowed
    Poison Control

The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.

The patient may receive:

Medicines to treat symptoms
    Outlook (Prognosis)

This type of plant may cause severe swelling that blocks the airway, causing breathing difficulties, but this is very rare

On the good side, I did cut up six cherry tomatoes from my own container tomato plant and put them in a salad that had a store bought tomato cut up in it as well-the cherry tomatoes were SO much better in taste..you could easily taste which tomato piece you were eating.

SVZ

wait do you buy ladybugs in big plastic bags?

i have this recurring dream of a grocery store with bags of lady bugs in the fresh produce isle

Ladybugs (or ladybirds as we call them) like to munch on aphids. So instead of spraying a plant with something toxic you can get a bigger preditor to eat them!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    wait do you buy ladybugs in big plastic bags?

i have this recurring dream of a grocery store with bags of lady bugs in the fresh produce isle
    You can also order them bulk through the mail here. Along with bugs like Green Lacewings, praying mantis cocoons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    The common Philodendron.

Definition

This is poisoning caused by eating pieces of the philodendron plant.

Poisonous Ingredient

Oxalic acid and asparagine, a protein found in the philodendron plant. The leaves and stems of the plant are the most dangerous.

Symptoms

Slurred speech
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Swelling of mouth
    Swelling of tongue
    Burning in mouth and throat
    Burning and painful eyes
    Home Care

Wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth. Give milk to drink.

Before Calling Emergency

Determine the following information:

Patient's age, weight, and condition
    Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
    Time it was swallowed
    Amount swallowed
    Poison Control

The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.

The patient may receive:

Medicines to treat symptoms
    Outlook (Prognosis)

This type of plant may cause severe swelling that blocks the airway, causing breathing difficulties, but this is very rare

On the good side, I did cut up six cherry tomatoes from my own container tomato plant and put them in a salad that had a store bought tomato cut up in it as well-the cherry tomatoes were SO much better in taste..you could easily taste which tomato piece you were eating.
    ^Thanks.

Yeah home grown is always the best. It's nice to eat veggies without pesticides too.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information