Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First harvest!

Well my cherry tomatos are starting to turn red. I have 6 regular tomatos growing on my regular tomato plant and my cucumber plant has produced 3-4 flowers up to now. I'm not too sure about my pepper plant... I also have lettuce growing.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

SVZ

My mom has magnolias, it's the first time in 14 years that they've bloomed!

I think it's a sign that things are going to get better

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    My mom has magnolias, it's the first time in 14 years that they've bloomed!

I think it's a sign that things are going to get better
    You are right! I love me some magnolias!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

white plumaria flowers are here

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You are right! I love me some magnolias!
    it was incredible, the entire backyard was covered full of beautiful white flowers!

Just picked about half a cup of bush cherries. Probably at least another half cup to cup still ripening. Enough to make a small container of homemade cherry jam!

And I now have over 20 tomatoes set and in various stages of ripening(none ripe yet) on my lone container tomato plant, which is now taller than I am. that shit is now at least six feet tall!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm jealous! I got my garden in again late this year but better late then never! I'll get something out of it in the end. I do have a squash that will be ready any day. My poor tomato and cucumber plants, maybe I should feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    I'm jealous! I got my garden in again late this year but better late then never! I'll get something out of it in the end. I do have a squash that will be ready any day. My poor tomato and cucumber plants, maybe I should feed them.
    That reminds me that the neighbors squash, zucchini and cukes should be ready and I was promised some! tomorrow!

Hit By Ban Bus!

lots of tomatoes and lemons now

I still do not have any ripened tomatoes!

Bush cherries are done! Got one full cup of small bush cherries from a scraggly 18 inch tall Hansen's bush cherry (hybrid western sand cherry).

There must be 50 tomatoes(small ones, these are large cherry tomato types) ripening on the one container plant..which is now approaching seven feet tall and is over the porch roof.-but none ripe yet!

A few of the hardy kiwis are about an inch around now..bigger than grapes.

and I still have water on the ground. Muck where my garden should be. The news said just yesterday that our area actually got less rain than average for July. Lying bastards.

Maybe a garden next year.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    and I still have water on the ground. Muck where my garden should be. The news said just yesterday that our area actually got less rain than average for July. Lying bastards.

Maybe a garden next year.
    No garden at all this year? That sucks! I guess that is the gardener's mantra though, huh? "maybe next year' We are going here from way too much rain and cool..to dry and hot. Back to lots of watering.

*I have been putting my used coffee grounds into the tomato plant..and I think it is working! At least 20 more fruits have just set..the thing is sprawling everywhere..and some are just starting to turn orange.

We are eating carrots and peas now; they taste really good. The lettuce has been going very well and we've been eating big salads every day for weeks. We've been eating a lot of flat-leaf parsley as well.

We've had mature arugula for a while but aphids have attacked them and made them too disgusting to eat- more holes and brown spots than healthy green leaf. I have also seen scores of ants crawling on them, and in reading about it I learned something freaky about the relationship between aphids and ants. When the aphids eat leaves, they secrete some sweet, sticky substance that the ants love and they suck it right out of the aphid's butts And in order to ensure continued production of it, the ants will cripple the aphids by biting their wings off to keep them there as their little slaves

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    We are eating carrots and peas now; they taste really good. The lettuce has been going very well and we've been eating big salads every day for weeks. We've been eating a lot of flat-leaf parsley as well.

We've had mature arugula for a while but aphids have attacked them and made them too disgusting to eat- more holes and brown spots than healthy green leaf. I have also seen scores of ants crawling on them, and in reading about it I learned something freaky about the relationship between aphids and ants. When the aphids eat leaves, they secrete some sweet, sticky substance that the ants love and they suck it right out of the aphid's butts And in order to ensure continued production of it, the ants will cripple the aphids by biting their wings off to keep them there as their little slaves
    that is sick, but weirdly funny! You can buy ladybugs and toss them on to the plants infested-they feast on aphids.
    Last edited by Sojiita; August 3rd, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information