Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First harvest!

Zee

I have 2 cherries ripening. Yes, that is 2 cherries on a total of 8 trees. Sad thing is that I'm really excited.

Yes, I need to get a life.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Elite Member

We have lots of strawberries and apples growing. We also have 2 peaches on a tree planted earlier this spring, so they were unexpected. The fig trees are starting to set fruit.

Zee

Do you live in a temperate climate? Fig tree sounds lovely.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Do you live in a temperate climate? Fig tree sounds lovely.
    There is an area in Columbus called San Margherita that is an older still partly rural enclave only about five miles out of downtown. It is of course Italian, and they have successfully grown figs for many decades. You can grow them in places like Ohio, you just have to cut them back and then mulch and cover them heavily with some kind of tarp(like they do in that place I mentioned.)

Also (if you have room) you can grow smaller fig trees in large pots, and then overwinter them. I did this in a sunny second floor bedroom that was only used for storage. They of course lost their leaves, but came back out and set fruit. Unfortunately I found out that, while I like dried figs, I detest fresh ones, so I let the fig trees stay out in the pots in the open and let them die. *evil laugh*

* 'Chicago' and 'Brown Turkey" are hardy smallish figs that are good for northern climates(with container planting or proper winter protection).

Elite Member

No, we live about 1 hour north of NYC. I used to dig up the figs every fall and plant them in pots over our garage in the unfinished space, in a south facing large window. This worked ok in years that there was not either a lot of warm/cold waves (when they would break 'hibernation' and then get winter kill in the new growth) or just a brutal cold year. After losing all 4 trees (brown turkey) 2 winters ago, last fall my portugese gardener and I decided that rather than dig up the figs (2 Kadota, 2 black mission), we would wrap them in fiberglass house insulation and then plastic sheeting and tie them up. Very important, if you try this technique, put a 4" pvc pipe 'straw' extending out the top to allow air circulation, otherwise fungus will wreak havoc. The other good thing about this technique is that the plant roots dont dry out. No matter what, you are still at the mercy of the weather. Last year I had about 20 figs that never ripened because of the cool late summer. Oh, well....

Zee

Cool. Will have to check it out. My godfather grew figs and we always loved to eat the fresh fruit. Seemed like a boat load of work for the effort. Look at me with my two damn cherries!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

^^ Hey I am stuck fawning over my 20 or so kiwi and exactly FIVE blueberries. Two cherries is kind of sad given you have a number of trees. I wonder what is going on with them? This was a GREAT Spring too for blooming and setting fruit.

I think you may have to threaten them with death and destruction to shock them into producing. I swear if you threaten to destroy them, plants will usually either

1. Be shocked at their imminent demise and start producing..or
    2. Be so pissed off that they just up and die on you on purpose!

A*O

Our weather and seasons are all over the place at the moment. In theory we just officially started winter on 1 June but there are plants in bloom that shouldn't be and I've got a lovely crop of lemons on my tree at the moment. My mother has a big lemon tree in her garden and it's absolutely crammed full of fruit. She can't even give them away.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

Actually stood by the wisteria this year with husband's chain saw. Never had so many blooms.

We had a late frost in my area. I'm lucky to have any soft fruit this year. Apricots are not looking good at all. Apples are doing great so far.
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Actually stood by the wisteria this year with husband's chain saw. Never had so many blooms.

We had a late frost in my area. I'm lucky to have any soft fruit this year. Apricots are not looking good at all. Apples are doing great so far.
    Oh that might explain it-cherries suck when it comes to any adverse weather at blooming time. Threaten them with the chainsaw next spring!

Hit By Ban Bus!

congrats on the two cherries...we're hopinh for some cherry tomatoes soon

Zee

Sounds good- bad year for buying tomatoes. We have found another cherry lurking in the leaves for a grand total of 3. Still better than store bought.
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hit By Ban Bus!

tomatoes are here

Quote Originally Posted by suhani View Post
    tomatoes are here
    I am still waiting for my tomato plant(yes plant as in singular..I have ONE large plant sharing a container with a Korean lilac and a groundcover on my porch) to bloom. I wanted it to get established so I have been removing the blooms..and now it IS nice and big so it can start blooming and setting away!

Also just ate about 6 strawberries and two blueberries. I am going to find someway to make a decent jam from my aronia berries..my container bush on my porch is loaded and weighed down with the load..and they are not even near ripe yet.

Bush cherries still ripening. Divided chives and starting new clumps.

About a dozen kiwi fruit still hanging on..the largest is nearing an inch long.

bush cherries ripening, finally got some tomatoes set on my single plant in the container. it is about four feet tall now. Neighbor has a ton of tomatoes and zuchinni(sp)..swears by using chewing tobacco as a fertilizer.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information