Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Favorite candles and home fragrances

There probably is a solution out there, but I've gotten it good enough for me.

Candles haven't done much to my allergies, but fake flowers do it every time. I don't know if it's the dust or something that they scent them with, but I can't stay long in a store that has a big fake flower section because it kills me. I have a (mild, so far) latex allergy, so I wonder if it's related to that.

I do have candles, but rarely light them because my husband doesn't like them, not because of the scent, he say candles burning somehow remind him of funeral homes. I have the Airwick plug-in oils just in my restrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm a total nag champa girl. I love it. I buy the good stuff in the blue box. I hate cheap incense. It gives me a headache.

I love the Bath and Body Works candles. They are great and last for years. I buy a Christmas candle and pack it up season after season. Still smells the same.

i don't like vanilla scented stuff or food smelling stuff, either. I like more spicy than sweet. I did get a lemon scented kitchen candle from Bath and Body Works and it's really nice.

Nag Champa !!!!! Yup, only the good stuff *nods

I brought one of those three wick candles last xmas for the boys room. It has a bronze lid with leaves on the side. Once the candle burned away, I cleaned it out and now use it to store my q-tips and face cleaning pads in my bathroom. Pretty.

I prefer wax melts and use masculine smells only because I find the feminine ones seem fake aka gross.
    KrisNine, twitchy2.0 and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Anybody else have their allergies tweak from candles or melts? .

I am very sensitive to smell and get terrible headaches and nausea from some smells, it can be perfumes,soaps, candles, incense... When I travel I always pack a mini vicks incase a passenger or a hostess has the 'wrong' smell, i rub it under my nose so it cancels out the other smellsl. I also find it so embarrassing, once a woman at my spin class had put on Poison and I had to leave.
    Novice likes this.

I like really sweet, food-smelling stuff. I buy cheap discounted candles at Home Goods, my favorite being Yankee Candle Christmas Sugar Cookie. Loved it. My other favorite was cranberry-something. I have decent taste, but when it comes to scents, I really love my candles to be sickeningly sweet and cheesy (sugar cookie really is my fave).
    Novice, sputnik and I'mNotBitter like this.

I've since learned the hard way that ANYTHING plugged in is a fire hazard. My dad, who was a fireman for like 40 years, routinely now quizzes me about what I have plugged in and if I've vacuumed out my dryer vent.
    My neighbour is a firefighter and is the same way. He had a call just last month that was the result of one of those scented plug-ins.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    My neighbour is a firefighter and is the same way. He had a call just last month that was the result of one of those scented plug-ins.
    *makes mental note to remove plug ins when arriving back home*
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I do the opposite. I unplug the thing in the laundry room when I leave the house! Also at night. Ditto for Christmas lights. I don't trust those cheap Chinese suckers.
    whitetigeress likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I love candles - I just found a Wood Wick one at TJ Maxx that smells AMAZING (I'm at work so I can't say the scent name) - but even not lit I can smell it. Makes our bedroom nice and fresh smelling.

B&BW gets the majority of my good smelling stuff budget - I regularly have their candles around my house and have an upstairs and downstairs Wallflower. My scent preferences change with the season - spring/summer I like fresh/coconut/light flora scents - fall/winter I like spice/apple/balsam.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I get his concern -- trust me, I'm still wigged out about flame, even the first gas stove I've ever had at my temp house -- but LAMPS? He seriously freaks out about lamps that are plugged in. Are you supposed to break your leg walking around in the dark to plug one in when you need light?

I do the opposite. I unplug the thing in the laundry room when I leave the house! Also at night. Ditto for Christmas lights. I don't trust those cheap Chinese suckers.
    I have ALWAYS unplugged the tree. There's too many news articles every year about fires from fake and real Christmas trees. I don't trust the lights either, especially given you generally store them in a dark black hole in your basement or attic all year and twist and stretch them out before leaving them on for hours a day during the holidays.

Novice, I also love violet scents, but it has to be a true violet, not mixed with anything or a "false" violet smell.

Stella, I used to be big into the melted wax ones (both burning or plug-ins, and I've knocked them over myself before. They're nearly impossible to get clean, but I swear I saw a Pinterest pin about an easy cleanup for it. Have you checked there?

Anybody else have their allergies tweak from candles or melts? I always thought they recreated the scent somehow but they must use something similar. I remember someone shoving Fresh Cut Grass (Freshly Mowed Grass, something like that) under my nose in YC, and I swear my face almost melted off (runny itchy eyes, runny nose, hacking up the tickle/itch in my throat). I remember someone having a Red Cedar candle too and the same thing happened. I'm severely allergic to both (and many, many other things). It sucks, especially if you visit someone in their home and you have an allergic reaction. There's no graceful way to say No Big Deal as you're dying nearby.
    That is one of the reasons I prefer essential oils.

The violet was a synthetic repro but a damned good one. I bought it just for those presents (so notuch). I have a very sensitive nose & used to be able to tell someone the name of their perfume from about 10 feet away. I would love to do a course like they do to train "noses" but I doubt they do a day or so as a teaser/taster.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I like really sweet, food-smelling stuff. I buy cheap discounted candles at Home Goods, my favorite being Yankee Candle Christmas Sugar Cookie. Loved it. My other favorite was cranberry-something. I have decent taste, but when it comes to scents, I really love my candles to be sickeningly sweet and cheesy (sugar cookie really is my fave).
    I have a weakness for food smelling ones.
    I bought my pa a decent torch for his birthday but the batteries & charger cost me around twice as much as the torch as I will not buy Chinese crap when it comes to those these things.
    He loved his torch though & saw one advertised for around double what his "pack" cost me (which I thought was expensive but worth it).
    Free Charmed.

After a long time of searching, I found what I was looking for. Voluspa in Mokara is my favorite. I like the 3-wick candle in the shallow tin. It burns evenly and for a long time. I like citrus scents mostly. They call Mokara floral, but it seems citrusy to me.

https://voluspa.com/index.php?route=...&search=MOKARA

I pay $18 and $8 for the tins.

Anything with pomegranate, lime, lemon, mandarin and especially blood orange is good for me. I do like Bath and Body works candles (citrus) and a couple sold at BedBath for $10 for a large jar. The jar has no brand, looks like this.

https://voluspa.com/index.php?route=...h&search=blood

I've smelled Malin & Goetz in the stores but I can't remember buying one. They are about $18 or so.

I cannot buy a $60 candle. That's like buying a $60 pair of Wolford stockings. I'd rip them and cry.

I got this with a store credit. Antica Farmacista is a gorgeous brand. I got the Prosecco (does champagne have a scent)? I returned the candle the next day. It smelled like a heavy french perfume. I should have exchanged it instead.

Pomegranate, Currant & Blood Orange - Room Fragrances, Body Products, Luxury Gifts | Antica Farmacista
    sputnik and Laurent like this.

^^^^
    chalet, i recognise those candles in the pretty metal tins! i didn't know what the brand was called though. i bought one once, smelled lovely, the scent was called suede blanc or something like that and i loved it. now i know where to find it again. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    hahaha that made me laugh. now i know who to send any gross, sweet-smelling candles i get as gifts. i had a boss whose wife was obsessed with yankee candles and would give them as christmas gifts, easter gifts, birthday gifts. i only worked with her husband for a little over a year but she gave me at least 4 or 5 of those awful things. they all smell disgusting. i would just smile, thank her, and then re-gift.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 10th, 2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Brah likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My home is a shrine to the candle making industry. I love the foody scents (I have one called Truffle Butter that's not too strong, but smells heavenly). I also have honey scented candles; I'm prone to finding them at my regular Salvation Army runs. I prefer jar candles because I can just throw the jars out when I'm done.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    hahaha that made me laugh. now i know who to send any gross, sweet-smelling candles i get as gifts. i had a boss whose wife was obsessed with yankee candles and would give them as christmas gifts, easter gifts, birthday gifts. i only worked with her husband for a little over a year but she gave me at least 4 or 5 of those awful things. they all smell disgusting. i would just smile, thank her, and then re-gift.
    I would honest to god LOVE being gifted/refitted/any-sort-of-gifted Yankee Candles, that'd sadly be a dream come true
    sputnik likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information