Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Everyone else I know is getting a bigger house...pity party

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    A person I know started at a bank at 250k She's like 23 as well.
    Wow, do you mean an investment bank? I mean a regular bank like Wachovia or Centura or something like that.

I did look up one of the guys I was talking about and found out he is a Director of Portfolio Management. I guess they could do pretty well.

Maybe these other people were born wealthy or came in to some types of settlements. Honestly, it sounds like you and your husband are on the perfect track and are living the good lives, I wouldn't worry about what others have. If that is what you two want it sounds like you are well on your way to get there. To answer the question though, I do think that some people spend way beyond their means and borrow loads of money and then can't afford anything else.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

bigger home = bigger liabilities, dont sweat it hotncmom, you'll have more cash on hand and less worries/stress.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    . Maybe other people are more comfortable with using half their take home pay for housing?
    Yes. That's exactly it. I could never live like that, but lots of people do.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    bigger home = bigger liabilities, dont sweat it hotncmom, you'll have more cash on hand and less worries/stress.
    Very true. Plus less cleaning. We went from a very big house to a smaller house that is close to the beach. I have such an easier time with keeping it clean.

Silver Member

JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE MORE MONEY OR STUFF DOES NOT MAKE THEM BETTER THAN YOU ARE.

How vapid, American Middle class bougie can you GET? You are better than that mindset!

I am so glad this shit doesn't bother me. I've been poor for most of my life so any little thing makes me feel FABULOUS. It's one of the benefits of having nothing...lol.

Besides, her husband may be fucking a male assosciate, or she may be frigid...you never know.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

So true. Hubby and I rent in a wealthy neighbourhood and I've never met so many mean, cheap, ungrateful, miserable and thoroughly unpleasant people in my life. I've talked to cops, lawyers, insurance brokers, real estate brokers, cleaners, retail clerks -- all kinds of people who "service" these rich folk and they tend to agree. The more ostentatious wealth you have = the bigger the asshole/entitlement mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE MORE MONEY OR STUFF DOES NOT MAKE THEM BETTER THAN YOU ARE.

How vapid, American Middle class bougie can you GET? You are better than that mindset!

I am so glad this shit doesn't bother me. I've been poor for most of my life so any little thing makes me feel FABULOUS. It's one of the benefits of having nothing...lol.

Besides, her husband may be fucking a male assosciate, or she may be frigid...you never know.

I totally agree. I couldn't care less what anyone around me is doing as far as buying houses or cars. It seriously has no meaning in my life whatsoever. I don't plan on ever being rich and it doesn't bother me at all. Got lots of better things to fill my brain and soul with!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

^^That is a healthy attitude toward life. Don't worry about what you can't control!

Talking Think of this

Maybe your neighbours are drug dealers?
    You never know with people these days.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

My neighbours? Some of them could be, but most are obscenely wealthy Chinese, Iranian, Taiwanese and Ismali nouveau riche, mixed in with a healthy dose of uber-WASP old money. Not too many drug dealers there.

Silver Member

If you want to feel badly about owning, come live in San Francisco.$500,000+ gets you a one bedroom apartment. The junior one bedroom apartment down the hall from me rents for $1,450 a month. Owning is not a concern.

^^Same as Vancouver then.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky32 View Post
    If you want to feel badly about owning, come live in San Francisco.$500,000+ gets you a one bedroom apartment. The junior one bedroom apartment down the hall from me rents for $1,450 a month. Owning is not a concern.
    Hell, that's a deal compared to the dot com boom days. That same apt. was $2500+ back then. Then the vacancy rate went to 40+% and the building owners had no choice but to lower rents. Even with that, I'll bet the vacancy rate is still high. Do you happen to know what it currently is, Lucky?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Live your life the way you want to live and stop worrying about what everyone else has or is doing. In the end, it won't matter one iota.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information