Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you like IKEA?

I've furnished many of apartments on IKEA. I hated that we didn't have an IKEA in Miami when I lived there. Now, I purchase lots of little things from there and my spare bedroom dresser. TV stand, too. We have a pretty expensive bedroom set and the armoire was $2000!! No way was I spending that much to hide a TV. We bought a TV stand in a complimentary style for less than $100!!

I love a lot of their stuff and I love shopping there too. I wouldn't buy a bed or sofabed from there again though. We've had one of each and they both sort of broke down. We were able to sort of rig them back together but I think it's probably just not a good idea to get something from there that takes that much abuse.

I love their storage solutions, small accessories and office stuff though. Our IKEA computer desks are going on 6 years now, and we've taken them apart and put them back together a few times. I have tons of their lamps, picture frames, kitchen accessories and baskets. And I was able to get so much stuff for my wedding reception there. Oversize glass cookie jars that I used as punch bowls, tealight holders, candy dishes, etc.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Have any of you bought directly from them online?
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Gold Member

Ikea is OK for temporary furniture that only needs to last a couple of years, or for stuff you don't mind your children destroying.

I've owned a lot of furniture from Ikea in the past but I don't buy any there anymore except for Billy bookcases; those are great for the money. I do like their kitchen section though; great prices and good quality on flatware, glasses, etc.

My comp is on an Ikea end-table... Should I fear for it?

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Ikea is OK for temporary furniture that only needs to last a couple of years, or for stuff you don't mind your children destroying.

I've owned a lot of furniture from Ikea in the past but I don't buy any there anymore except for Billy bookcases; those are great for the money. I do like their kitchen section though; great prices and good quality on flatware, glasses, etc.
    Hmmm, I have to disagree with that. Like I said before: several
    of our IKEA things are over a decade old and have withstood
    not only the test of time but daily use and handling by adults AND
    children and are just as great as they were when we bought them!
    Maybe there IS a difference between putting them together yourself
    or having the pros do it for you.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Hmmm, I have to disagree with that. Like I said before: several
    of our IKEA things are over a decade old and have withstood
    not only the test of time but daily use and handling by adults AND
    children and are just as great as they were when we bought them!
    Maybe there IS a difference between putting them together yourself
    or having the pros do it for you.....
    The quality of their furniture varies wildly. It may have to do with what we bought. The quality of their furniture has also declined in recent years.

I still do buy self-assembly furniture but not from Ikea, unless it's a Billy bookcase. I won't buy from Target for the same reasons: it's mostly crap. If I buy stuff like that nowadays I usually get it from Crate and Barrel.

I've been shopping IKEA ever since it opened in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm a huge fan of the "floating shelves", the ones that have their brackets inside, instead of outside. I have them in several rooms. I have not had issues with quality, but I have also never purchased a bed or couch there. I have several tables, desks, chairs, a kitchen "island", bookcases, and lots of decor items, but when you walk into my house, it doesn't scream IKEA, I mix it up quite a bit.

The PA store has pretty good customer service.

My name is Shalev, and I'm damn addicted to IKEA. .

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    I've been shopping IKEA ever since it opened in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm a huge fan of the "floating shelves", the ones that have their brackets inside, instead of outside. I have them in several rooms. I have not had issues with quality, but I have also never purchased a bed or couch there. I have several tables, desks, chairs, a kitchen "island", bookcases, and lots of decor items, but when you walk into my house, it doesn't scream IKEA, I mix it up quite a bit.

We had a couch from Ikea that literally fell apart after three years. I could never get the slipcovers to fit right either.

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post

I forgot that we also have 2 Beddinge fold out beds/couches that are
    used regularly. One is ten years old and the other 2 and both are still
    in great shape. Again: we had them assembled by professionals.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I forgot that we also have 2 Beddinge fold out beds/couches that are
    used regularly. One is ten years old and the other 2 and both are still
    in great shape. Again: we had them assembled by professionals.....
    I used to have one of those; it was actually pretty solid and we didn't have any problems with it. We put it together ourselves, too. I wouldn't buy another one though, mainly because they're huuuuuge and heeeeeeeeeavy.

I like it for stuff like accessories and storages options. The furniture itself, not so much, though I have liked individual pieces in the past.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information