View Poll Results: Do you let people smoke in your home?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people can smoke in my house

    13 18.31%
  • I will make an exception now and then, but it's unusual.

    7 9.86%
  • No way, I would never let someone smoke in my house.

    49 69.01%
  • Other

    2 2.82%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90

Thread: Do you let people smoke in your house?

  1. #61
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,516

    Default

    Well, I'm hearing all this about 'but until we had kid' and 'nowhere near the children', etc. Well, fuck the children. I'm sick of all this hand wringing over their delicate little selves. Probably a good thing I don't have any, huh?
    Definitely, crumpet, lol. I don't smoke so I don't have to worry about children inhaling my smoke but in retrospect, I wish my dad hadn't smoked around me when I was growing up. Esp. in the car. There were times I felt I couldn't breathe.

    And Sweetie, I wish I could borrow your kiddie hating cat. Mine loves everyone and I've had little shits abuse her because she can take just about everything and wont' even think to scratch.

  2. #62
    Elite Member Serendipity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Round the bend
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Definitely, crumpet, lol. I don't smoke so I don't have to worry about children inhaling my smoke but in retrospect, I wish my dad hadn't smoked around me when I was growing up. Esp. in the car. There were times I felt I couldn't breathe.

    And Sweetie, I wish I could borrow your kiddie hating cat. Mine loves everyone and I've had little shits abuse her because she can take just about everything and wont' even think to scratch.
    That there is why there is 'handwringing'. I get that some parents are overly worried about every little thing but this is hardly one of them. My niece suffered terribly from living in a house with a smoker and still has problems as a young adult. It's just plain commensense, not paranoia or overparenting.

  3. #63
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    For all you that think that smoking around kids is no big deal. From the EPA's own website...

    Secondhand smoke can trigger asthma episodes and increase the severity of attacks. Secondhand smoke is also a risk factor for new cases of asthma in preschool aged children who have not already exhibited asthma symptoms. Scientists believe that secondhand smoke irritates the chronically inflamed bronchial passages of people with asthma. Secondhand smoke is linked to other health problems, including lung cancer, ear infections and other chronic respiratory illnesses, such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
    Many of the health effects of secondhand smoke, including asthma, are most clearly seen in children because children are most vulnerable to its effects. Most likely, children's developing bodies make them more susceptible to secondhand smoke's effects and, due to their small size, they breathe more rapidly than adults thereby taking in more secondhand smoke. Children receiving high doses of secondhand smoke, such as those with smoking mothers, run the greatest relative risk of experiencing damaging health effects.
    From Mayo Clinic. Be sure and look at the list of known hazardous chemicals found in tobacco smoke on their page.

    Health threats to children from secondhand smoke

    Secondhand smoke has a marked effect on the health of infants and children. They're more vulnerable than adults are because they're still developing physically and generally have higher breathing rates, which means they may inhale greater quantities of secondhand smoke than adults do.
    For children who live in households where someone smokes, the effects are worst during the child's first five years, since the child may spend the bulk of that time with a smoking parent or guardian. Ironically, infants are at the highest risk of secondhand smoke from their own mothers. A child who spends just one hour in a very smoky room is inhaling as many dangerous chemicals as if he or she smoked 10 or more cigarettes. And even when parents don't smoke at home or in the car, there can still be negative effects when children are exposed to the tobacco smoke pollution released from the clothing and hair of smoking parents.
    Here's a look at some of the main health problems in infants and children associated with secondhand smoke.
    Growth and development
    Women who are exposed to secondhand smoke during pregnancy are at higher risk of having babies of slightly lower birth weight. This can cause a host of health problems for the baby, such as cerebral palsy or learning disabilities. Women who actively smoke during pregnancy expose their developing baby to passive smoke the chemicals may pass through the placenta and put the baby at risk of lower birth weight.
    An infant who was exposed to secondhand smoke as a developing fetus may be at increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Post-birth exposure to secondhand smoke from the mother, father or others in the household also increases the risk of SIDS.
    Asthma and other respiratory problems
    Secondhand smoke may cause asthma in children. In children who already have asthma, secondhand smoke can make episodes more frequent and more severe.
    Secondhand smoke is also tied to infections of the lower respiratory tract, such as bronchitis and pneumonia, especially in those younger than 6. It's also associated with irritation of the upper respiratory tract and a small reduction in lung function.
    Middle ear conditions
    Children living in households with smokers are more likely to develop middle ear infections (otitis media).
    Still think it's alright to smoke around kids and it's just reactionary parenting fears protecting their little snowflake?

  4. #64
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    For all you that think that smoking around kids is no big deal. From the EPA's own website...



    From Mayo Clinic. Be sure and look at the list of known hazardous chemicals found in tobacco smoke on their page.



    Still think it's alright to smoke around kids and it's just reactionary parenting fears protecting their little snowflake?
    I didn't say there weren't any dangers in second hand smoke. But if you take your kid into the home of a smoker it is frankly narcissistic to expect them to alter their lifestyle and smoke outside because you have graced them with your presence. Ditto if you are a smoker yourself and smoked through pregnancy and continue to smoke while breastfeeding and yet you are suddenly hypersensitive to the possibility fo your baby/child temporarily getting some second hand smoke from someone smoking on another floor in her own house. Also, we had another friend come by with his delightful (really, I liked her) 6 yr old daughter. Two adults still smoked there where she was. Her own mother that she lives with smokes and everyone knows it so no one felt compelled to go outside to smoke and in my opinion they shouldn't have, either. Some may feel that is disrespectful but I feel it is more disrespectful to go to someone's home that you know smokes and expect them to behave differently in their own home just for you. Now, my mother has a friend with asthma and she voluntarily refrains from smoking in her presence inside or the car because this woman could get ill very quickly from it. Yet, there is a difference between that and someone who just really dislikes it especially since that short period of time you get exposed to second hand smoke in someone's home is not going to give you cancer if the rest of your life is 100% smoke free 99% of the time. People can make decisions about whom they visit and avoid places they don't like for whatever reason (wild kids, jumping dogs, too cold, etc.).

    I guess we must be some tough little bastards then because I never had asthma/breathing problems, ear infections, lots of colds or whatever despite the fact that literally everyone smoked around me from the time I was conceived through adulthood. I'm not saying some people don't but it seems as though some like to promote the idea that every one/every kid who has been exposed to smokers needs an oxygen tank iv by the time they hit kindergarten.

    It's also mildly amusing how many people are appalled by some cig smoke in their home but will gladly let people smoke weed in their home (which is still illegal) even if they have children and whatnot. People make exceptions for whatever pleases them which I'm actually fine with since it is your home and all. Yet, how many itmes have you seen non-smokers take 'first available' at a restaurant rahter than wait longer for anon-smoking table? Funny,too there are many vehement anit-smokers who would still drop their panties/boxers to bang Colin Farrell, Brad Pitt, Barack Obama, Benecio, Monica Bellucci, etc. I see it all the time. Guys swear they detest smokers, it's such a turnoff, blah blah blah but then when some stacked hottie walks by they are willing to risk an asthma attack just to take a stab at that trophy.

    Just my two cents. Also, this post may read as defensive but that isn't my intent despite the peppered language.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #65
    Elite Member cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    You're a better woman than me. I generally find them to be a pain in the ass, lol!

    ...Yo.....you're talking about the one I love most........me.......lucky for you, I enjoy being a pain in the ass and don't mind getting called on it....I know that addicts get mean when someone mentions taking their drugs away......

  6. #66
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    17,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    But if you take your kid into the home of a smoker it is frankly narcissistic to expect them to alter their lifestyle and smoke outside because you have graced them with your presence. Ditto if you are a smoker yourself and smoked through pregnancy and continue to smoke while breastfeeding and yet you are suddenly hypersensitive to the possibility fo your baby/child temporarily getting some second hand smoke from someone smoking on another floor in her own house.
    That sounds a little different from what you were saying in this post though:

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Well, I'm hearing all this about 'but until we had kid' and 'nowhere near the children', etc. Well, fuck the children. I'm sick of all this hand wringing over their delicate little selves. Probably a good thing I don't have any, huh?
    That earlier post sounded to me like you were saying people were ridiculous, hyper-sensitive fools to choose not to smoke around their own children in their own homes, or to request that guests not smoke in their homes. I felt it was probably addressed at least in part to me since I was one of those who mentioned I wouldn't be keen on smoking in my home around my kid, but since in the same post I also mentioned that it had literally never, ever come up, I hardly see any "hand-wringing" going on.

    I think it's a person's choice to keep their own home smoke-free if that's what they wish, and it's a pretty reasonable choice in my mind, whether it's for the children or some other reason. Where did anyone, besides the RL friend of yours, mention anything remotely like the situation in your top post? I think there's a huge divide between wanting to keep your home smoke-free and what you describe in that top post - it comes across as a straw man argument to me.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

  7. #67
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    That sounds a little different from what you were saying in this post though:



    That earlier post sounded to me like you were saying people were ridiculous, hyper-sensitive fools to choose not to smoke around their own children in their own homes, or to request that guests not smoke in their homes. I felt it was probably addressed at least in part to me since I was one of those who mentioned I wouldn't be keen on smoking in my home around my kid, but since in the same post I also mentioned that it had literally never, ever come up, I hardly see any "hand-wringing" going on.

    I think it's a person's choice to keep their own home smoke-free if that's what they wish, and it's a pretty reasonable choice in my mind, whether it's for the children or some other reason. Where did anyone, besides the RL friend of yours, mention anything remotely like the situation in your top post? I think there's a huge divide between wanting to keep your home smoke-free and what you describe in that top post - it comes across as a straw man argument to me.
    In my earlier post I thought I was pretty clearly referring to a specific situation that I had encountered recently. And I NEVER disagreed that people should not have their homes and cars smoke free if they choose to do so, even if they are smokers themselves. That's just a given. I've never encountered anyone who thinks they should be allowed to light up in a non-smoker's home. Not saying those jerks don't exist, but I haven't encountered anyone who would actually believe that.

    Oh, yeah: that second post was intended to be snarky as hell and I'm allowed to get tired of hearing 'for the children' if I want to . Even if it's perfectly reasonable to worry about the kids, I'm still allowed to get tired of hearing about what's best for kids all the time. Doesn't mean anyone has to share the thought.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #68
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    17,993

    Default

    ^ Hehe I think we all probably get tired of hearing about the children actually. I know I do, and I haven't even fully sprouted mine yet. It just seems like the smoking issue is a pretty reasonable place for them to pop up, so I wasn't surprised to hear so many people mention it. I understand it getting tiring though.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

  9. #69
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    My parents had friends who smoked in their house.. i hated going over there as a kid. It fucking STUNK like shit, i was always coughing.. everything smelled. The carpet, the furniture, the clothes.. you couldn't get away from it. I just get coughy and itchy thinking about it. It was like a carcinogenic layer of grease over everything.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  10. #70
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,550

    Default

    Having my son was the reason I quit smoking for as long as I did and then started again and I have since quit and I am doing quite well. My son is my reason for alot of things; my desire to stay alive and not be a piece of shit... stuff like that.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

    Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

  11. #71
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Having my son was the reason I quit smoking for as long as I did and then started again and I have since quit and I am doing quite well. My son is my reason for alot of things; my desire to stay alive and not be a piece of shit... stuff like that.
    Best motive I ever heard of!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  12. #72
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Too bad it doesn't motivate more people to not be pieces of shit.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

  13. #73
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Smoking is bad for you and others but it's also true that several generations of people grew up with mothers who smoked during pregancy and beyond and the majority turned out OK. Times have changed and that's a good thing, but smoking isn't the end of the world.

    Someone in my house has asthma so smoking is out, and I hate the smell anyway. But I'm not one of those reformed smokers who insists that nobody else in the world smoke. If they are polite about it and go outside away from the door, it's none of my business.

    Governments make a killing off the tax, which is the most hypocritical thing about it, and they're still sold in drugstores, which makes no sense.

  14. #74
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    17,993

    Default

    ^ They're not sold in any drugstores in Ontario that I know of, I seem to remember when they banned that.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

  15. #75
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,951

    Default

    here in texas, you get your cigarettes at the front of the pharmacy & the sick people have to stumble all the way to the back of the store to get their medication. and here in the great state of texas, they added a dollar in taxes a year or so ago - per pack of cigarettes. frankly, I think I deserve my own lane, I'm paying for the fucking roads, aren't I????
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 26th, 2014, 09:37 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
  3. Lindsay Lohan: up in smoke
    By olivia720 in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM
  4. Why celebrities smoke
    By Rosamund in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: November 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •