Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Couple who lives in New York City's Tiniest Apartment

  1. #16
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    602

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    If I had to live there with someone, on day 2 I would be in prison for murder.

    i will be in the cell next to you on death roll

  2. #17
    Elite Member Witchywoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    vat of chocolate
    Posts
    4,496

    Default

    I too fill sorry for cats. I cant stop reading their name as Porkchops.

  3. #18
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,731

    Default

    Gag - can you imagine the stink in there from the kitty box?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  4. #19
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    28,035

    Default

    $175? You've got to be shitting me.

    And I thought Miami was bad.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  5. #20
    Elite Member Chalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    175,000 in Morningside Heights (Columbia and Barnard universities) for that amount of square footage. That is insanity. For two people? Maybe if it was for one Columbia Univ. student. At best that is a 900 dollar rental, but you don't buy something that size for that amount. There is something wrong with them. They just had to live in Manhattan no matter what? With cats too? Ridiculous.

  6. #21
    Elite Member Jexxifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    My old college dorm room had more space and personality. There is no way I could live there.

  7. #22
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    No way in hell. The bathroom looks like a long twizzler.

  8. #23
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    No, and that space or lack there of is ridiculous. And no way in the world would I have two cats or any animal living there.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  9. #24
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    53,002

    Default

    i've seen studios that size or smaller in europe but there's usually only one person living in them, not two.
    though i did know one woman who lived in a studio with her 2 children for about a year because that's all she could afford until she finished her PhD. the kids were about 9 and 11. now that would have been even worse than 2 kids.

    i think these 2 have some kind of philosophical thing going on - notice the total lack of storage and it's not like they couldn't fit an ikea closet in there. i think they're on some kind of spartan kick. she also mentions that she used to be frivolous and collected vintage clothing as if that was so decadent and imelda marcos of her. they seem to have rid themselves of most of their earthly possessions except for the really necessary ones.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  10. #25
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    31,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    175,000 in Morningside Heights (Columbia and Barnard universities) for that amount of square footage. That is insanity. For two people? Maybe if it was for one Columbia Univ. student. At best that is a 900 dollar rental, but you don't buy something that size for that amount. There is something wrong with them. They just had to live in Manhattan no matter what? With cats too? Ridiculous.
    don't forget the $700/month maintenance fee

  11. #26
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    18,140

    Default

    In theory I wouldn't mind it as some sort of second home/pied-a-terre. In reality, though, I have to agree with Chalet. The price - especially when you add in the maintenance fee - offends me. And I get that it's Manhattan and everything, but I'm sure you could spend just a little bit more and get something a little bit bigger a little bit further away; would be worth it to me.

    As a few other posters have mentioned, they could make the space far more useful if they wanted. A loft bed with desk and chair underneath, some floating shelves, some clever kitchen stuff. I don't see that their planned Murphy bed will help them much; where would they put the stuff in the new floor space once the bed is pulled down? I think a loft bed would be a wiser option, but to each their own.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

  12. #27
    Elite Member hustle4alivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    As much as I love NYC and would want to live there in the future if I could, I couldn't deal with a space this small. Especially if I have someone else living with me. I don't mind small spaces, but this is TOO small.

  13. #28
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think they're on some kind of spartan kick. she also mentions that she used to be frivolous and collected vintage clothing as if that was so decadent and imelda marcos of her. they seem to have rid themselves of most of their earthly possessions except for the really necessary ones.
    You might be onto something here, that would really explain a lot. From doing a lot of frequent big moves, I know that getting rid of a ton of stuff you don't need is actually a very freeing experience. It feels good knowing you can live just fine on very little (space, things, $$$), with only essentials. But I don't think I could keep it up long term, eventually I'd want to nest more, I'd need more space to really feel comfortable. And I certainly wouldn't sink such a big investment in something so small, that price tag defeats the purpose of my spartan motivation.

  14. #29
    Elite Member Chalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    don't forget the $700/month maintenance fee
    I forgot!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    In theory I wouldn't mind it as some sort of second home/pied-a-terre. In reality, though, I have to agree with Chalet. The price - especially when you add in the maintenance fee - offends me. And I get that it's Manhattan and everything, but I'm sure you could spend just a little bit more and get something a little bit bigger a little bit further away; would be worth it to me.

    As a few other posters have mentioned, they could make the space far more useful if they wanted. A loft bed with desk and chair underneath, some floating shelves, some clever kitchen stuff. I don't see that their planned Murphy bed will help them much; where would they put the stuff in the new floor space once the bed is pulled down? I think a loft bed would be a wiser option, but to each their own.
    Living in something the size of a dining room - okay, but not WITH someone. This isn't Russia or a Lower East Side tenement in 1913. Eventually, people do need to or should socialize in their home. Lastly, and let's put on our NY snob hat for a moment - living up there, all the way uptown - one doesn't need to live in Manhattan. It's 45 minutes from their house to midtown. I think there's something wrong with them.

  15. #30
    Elite Member suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    if i was single, i could live there, i love love small spaces.
    ditto
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: July 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
  2. New York apartment: Worldly viewpoint
    By Honey in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: October 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
  3. Madonna's New York apartment
    By Honey in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
  4. A New York apartment gets a makeover
    By Honey in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •