Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago bungalow built in 1894

That's what all the houses on that street are like Soj. Many of them are split into two homes. The first floor/basement, second floor/attic. Funny about the lawn. The woman who lived in that house for 50 years was a mean old witch. The front of the house was dark green (still way better than what they did with the siding) and she used to hide behind her lace curtains and scream at any of the kids who put a toe on her lawn. When she died, her family raised the lawn (no idea why, it's dumb). She should have done that when she was alive. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    That's what all the houses on that street are like Soj. Many of them are split into two homes. The first floor/basement, second floor/attic. Funny about the lawn. The woman who lived in that house for 50 years was a mean old witch. The front of the house was dark green (still way better than what they did with the siding) and she used to hide behind her lace curtains and scream at any of the kids who put a toe on her lawn. When she died, her family raised the lawn (no idea why, it's dumb). She should have done that when she was alive. LOL!
    Maybe they raised it because they planted her under there.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

i never got the point of raised lawns. it's ugly and pointless.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's a cute house, I like the interior (and the stuff, although I'd probably arrange things differently, call me granny!!). The outside doesn't match the inside though, in fact I would think the outside of the house would cause the cost to come down a bit.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

That's not granny decor. That's horrible rented real estate "staging" decor. Totally blandoid and soulless.

Nice old house but I think that remodel is awful from stem to stern. Hate it all, especially the brownnnn kitchen, ugly bathroom and oh-so-modern recessed lighting. Yay, a home that looks like a dentist's office!

Some amusingly dreadful examples of granny decor aka granny chic at this link:

Guide to Granny Chic Decor

I like granny decor that really looks like Granny's house, as in old, lived-in, comfortable, full of character and family history. No real estate agent can create THAT. Or the Addams family home, of course.

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I am turning into the mean old bitch on the corner. Goddamn kids dropping their shit in my frickin' yard..lol!

I bet that is a nice street-I like that type of neighborhood. Attractive houses, nice density, nothing too ostentatious or pretentious but you have the opportunity to make a house look really nice and stand out as well. Kind of the opposite of some of the new houses that scream 'look at me' that are about the same size but have those massive overdone brick/stone two story entrance monstrosity things, looking like monoliths. ugh. a huge garage door, a massive overdone entry thing, and a huge overdone front window-just ugh!

Some of the 'new urbanist' communities are looking like this( like this house and lot size, density,driveway leading to garage in back or garage off of an alley, etc)-they can be really nice if they are not done too on the cheap and all.

I don't mind lawn, and I don't mind raised, but not together-if it is raised, then landscape it with plants. An exception is if the yard is raised but tapers to the sidewalk in a fairly gentle slope. But if it is raised with a low wall like that, then no lawn.

I love this house. I'd take it with the funiture and everything.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

What neighborhood in Chicago is this?

I like the kitchen. I hate those bathroom sinks. There would be water everywhere in my house.

Regarding the raised lawn, was it a possibility that it was infill? I thought most of Chicago was raised up one level 100 years ago because of the lake and mud. I saw a lot of houses where the original first floor was below street level:

What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Hustle, it's in Ravenswood (Lincoln and Damen). They raised the lawn themselves. Actually, it used to be a very sloped front lawn. Originally they fenced it in. I think they did this for "curb appeal."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information