Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Before & After gardens

Aw, sorry about that. It's never too late though. I'm going to plant a few now for next year in the bare areas. Plus I want some winter interest because it's so bleak out there.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Your garden looks so pretty; I could just chill on your gazebo all day and read.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Well come on down! Thanks, I actually do that and would like to sit out later than 7:00 but then the mosquitos come and seem to only bite me. I bought a bottle of Neem Spray that seems to work though. We have to close the pool soon and that's pretty depressing.

Guys, I'm so excited, I have to share!

So in the Winter semester, a friend and I decided to propose and plan a community garden on our university campus as a class project (had to come up with an "environmental action project"). We drew up proposals, held all kinds of meetings, put a committee together, wrote reports, gave presentations, talked to faculty and the university president, etc.

We finally broke ground in May, and we really had to start from scratch - we had to dig up the sod that was there (and KEEP the swaths of it, so no rototilling), bring in soil and manure, FIX the clay and rock-filled soil the school donated to us, and finally get our plants (many of them started from seed) in the ground.

The thing had been looking like a desert, despite frequent watering (we killed some tomato plants ), and then finally it rained, for the last few days or so. The plants have TRIPLED in size! So - pictures!

The beginning:

Digging sod:

Our delivery of "topsoil":

Which was full of clay and rocks, and which they dumped on top of the space before we had a chance to lay the barrier down...

We finally got it spread out and somewhat arranged.

It started pretty puny:

And then it rained!!

Now everything's all explody and healthy looking! And the lettuce already tastes great... this project has felt like my baby (er, my other baby) for months now, and I can't believe it's finally really happening. I know, I'm a nerd! Had to share!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

it's lovely! i think community gardens are so awesome. goooo tati!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

That's wonderful Tati! Having the idea and then fulfilling it is incredible. It looks beautiful!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information