Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Bed Bugs!!!

No. She hasn’t gotten them, so far. Thank god! We have the spray that’s supposed to keep them away. I braid her hair and put it in a bun every day. Shes had two or three kids in her class with it.

Ill keep that in mind, just in case.
    czb likes this.

I heard intense heat kills them. So if you steam them, it kills them. I have no proof this works.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

We had them. Brought them home from a birthing center and they were biting me and my then newborn daughter. Luckily Im horribly allergic so we caught it quickly. It cost us thousands of dollars to get rid of them, having hired the best exterminators in NYC. They packed up just about everything we owned and heat-treated it and sealed it in bags, then heat treated and chemical-treated everything else. They caught every one of the little fuckers, and I live in fear of it ever happening again.
    sputnik, effie2 and fgg like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Damn, from a birthing center?? That's just awful. The last thing a new parent wants to deal with is a horrible case of bedbugs! The nature of a new mom being all about the cleanliness of their home.
    fgg and Shinola like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Are you serious? Youve been fighting them for two years? Ugh. Maybe I should tell her to burn her house down.
    Pretty much...and I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on that - I just dropped $1100 on mice extermination and I have water damage from my leaking roof to repair. Apparently, I am not the only one - it seems to be some sort of epidemic - there must be some connection to climate change.
    "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." - Katharine Hepburn

Ugh that sucks bitter. Ive been thinking about buying but then I see what my siblings have to deal with, my sister just had to pay a few grand to get rid of bats in her attic/roof. This was after shed already paid to get rid of the squirrels that were squatting there before.
    BITTER likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Damn, from a birthing center?? That's just awful. The last thing a new parent wants to deal with is a horrible case of bedbugs! The nature of a new mom being all about the cleanliness of their home.
    Yes, I felt so horrified and betrayed, and they knew they had them, too, but when I was initially in contact with them about the welt on me (happened while I was there postpartum, first bite), they played dumb. Finally I got them to admit they had bedbugs.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Ugh that sucks bitter. I’ve been thinking about buying but then I see what my siblings have to deal with, my sister just had to pay a few grand to get rid of bats in her attic/roof. This was after she’d already paid to get rid of the squirrels that were squatting there before.
    $900 to get rid of squirrels
    $500 to pay for water damage from leaking roof
    $1100 to get rid of mice

Ah, the fucking joys of home ownership.
    sputnik, czb and fgg like this.
    "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." - Katharine Hepburn

czb

^^^ you forgot mold.

i was talking with some friends today... they just bought a house 1.5 years ago. the house was <15 years old. it turns out it has MOLD. they had to pay for diagnosis and removal. now they have to pay to fix the source of the mold (leaky door). replace wood and carpet. yikes. at least they were told they only had one place in the house that had mold. i hear about people who have to remove everything down to the studs.
    fgg likes this.

^^^^I nipped that in the bud too - got some spray that killed the mold in my powder room. Hasn't come back and I've painted over it.
    czb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ you forgot mold.

i was talking with some friends today... they just bought a house 1.5 years ago. the house was <15 years old. it turns out it has MOLD. they had to pay for diagnosis and removal. now they have to pay to fix the source of the mold (leaky door). replace wood and carpet. yikes. at least they were told they only had one place in the house that had mold. i hear about people who have to remove everything down to the studs.
    I've had a couple of friends go through that here, with houses that are roughly that age. Both had mold in the bathrooms. One had it in their master bath. It was behind the shower walls. They had to gut the bathroom and re-model the whole thing (which is not cheap). Luckily my other friend only had it in the powder room under the toilet. They only needed to replace the flooring and sub flooring in the powder room.

Another big issue in some of the newer communities here (roughly 15-20 years) all of the plumbing is going bad. They had a class action suit against the builders. It's such a known issue that when they are selling homes in this community/master planned town, one of the things mentioned in the sales flyer is "new plumbing and piping".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information