Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever live in a trailer?

Default Re: Anyone ever live in a trailer?

The one I was in was in Belleville ontario.. couple hours outside of toronto, real rednecky farmer folk. Their idea of fun would be a barfight, or getting 3 chicks pregnant.

Oh right, and pig-roasts. It was hideous.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'll admit it, no problem. I lived in a trailer for about a year with my mom and grandmother when I was 9. We were pretty much dirt poor and could barely afford to rent the trailer. It sucked, but no more than living in a tiny apartment sucks. And I had a beautiful view outside my bedroom window (we lived outside a small town in the south... very "country"). I'd go sit out on the hitch and write in my diary and look around.

People get mobile homes confused with trailers. They aren't the same.... mobile homes are more like what rainingdefences described... a house. I came close to buying a mobile home once, because they're cheap and some of them are really nice... like vaulted ceilings, foyers, huge kitchens with islands kind of nice. They're only called mobile because it's put together in sections, and they put the sections on trucks and put it wherever you want it. They have mobile home parks, but they're nothing like trailer parks.

I lived in trailer with my mother and little sister. Single parent trying to make ends meet and so we got evicted. She never told us, but I understood poverty ment. After we moved from a womens shelter, she was able to get into this tiny trailer at a trailer lot with other ppl. VERY SMALL, roaches, cold water and I remember eating alot of bought out food because the little pathetic barely worked. I was fortunate to experience that, it gave me an early look how I value the things I work hard for in life.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

I guess I should have specified "mobile home" rather than "trailer" what I am thinking and talking about would not really be a trailer but A manufactured home that is permanently fixed on a site, tied down with no undercarriage or anything showing.

^^^Well then that's a whole different story!! Those are just like houses (okay minus a foundation I'm assuming)! Don't see any reason why you shouldn't do it. Keep us updated!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

We have friends who have one and it's fixed up really nice with a big deck on one side and a screened porch on the other side. The yard is landscaped very nice, too. It's nice and comfy!

Bronze Member

thanks muchlove for clarifying yeah, I'm talking about a mobile home park. Much much much different from trailer parks (which I've never even seen...). But I like where I live. It was brand new when we moved here and has the whole vaulted ceilng-huge foyer deal that was spoken of..

There is a wide variation in the quality of these things. Some of them look like "regular" homes on the inside, with drywall & everything. The cheaper ones have these little metallic slats running down all the seams in the walls, and tend to be decorated with permanently affixed frosted mirrors.

I've never lived in one, but have visited many, and what I find disconcerting is the knowledge that the edifice is perched on concrete blocks. Unfortunately, I am not particularly light & dainty on my feet, so I feel like I'm going to rock the thing off the blocks as I tromp down the hall.

I've seen some around here perched up on 6 or more blocks, in an effort to level a home on extremely uneven ground. I just don't think I could sleep in there, knowing what was underneath.

I have a friend who works for a 'manufactured home business'--he sells trailers!! They really have come a long way in construction as far as the floors and such....old ones tend to have that springy feeling after years...
    There is one that they sell for over 60,000 and it is BEAUTIFUL!! Hard wood floors, huge diningroom, den and livingroom, fireplace...lots of features.
    If you put it somewhere and put it on a foundation and landscape it well, there are some that you can't tell if it is a 'trailer' or not....
    All I can say Sojiita is-do what is right for you (short of living under that bridge you spoke of ). If you can't afford anything else, you do what you have to do to survive. Fuck what anyone thinks. No one pays your bills or lives your life but you. Sometimes life doesn't deal us the hand we want, and no matter how many times you get a redeal, it still just doesn't pan out. That is life...you do the best you can and try to be the best person you can-that's what matters-not where you lay your head at night....
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

I agree. Live your life.

Silver Member

I saw an awesome Manufactures Home I would like to buy, but, we have to wait and pay bills. My grandparents bought one and it is really nice. Roomy too, bigger than our home.

Well I got some advice from relatives(finally broke down and let them know just how bad it is, and it was humiliating as hell) and some other financial people(various) yesterday. It looks like I will hold onto this place through the spring and then try and sell it. I actually may have a free mobile home(given from relative). It is in a small Ohio town about 12 miles from here..and believe it or not, the park is located on the town's main street, which of course is called Main Street..lol. it has a very large grassy yard and is not bad at all ...the fees and utilities would be less than $300.00 a month..and NO rent or mortgage!.*sigh*
    A trailer/mobile home on Main Steet small town Ohio USA..I bet alot of you must think 'that is my worst nightmare'!

*I have been avoiding relatives like the plague and they finally cornered me..strangely I felt like hell yesterday but feel not so bad today..at least I don't have to hide from them anymore now that they know the awful truth.*

I guess this is a time to start counting my blessings really.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

That actually sounds wonderful, so happy your relatives came through for you. Small town Ohio can be nice too... maybe you'll be able to plant a garden this spring.

Sometimes it is hard to turn to family, but I am glad that you got the emotional support you need. And I'm glad you don't have to give up your house just yet...I thought about you leaving/transplanting plants when you moved and I thought about when I divorced...my mother had bought me hundreds of dollars of things to plant for my birthday and the asshat that I was married to has managed to mow or cut them all down except one magnificient crepe myrtle tree that has survived 14+ years!
    Hopefully now that you have some of this stress behind you things will be better....ease your mind a little.
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Oh god, sweetrebel, that's awful. I had a large garden for 3 yrs that I had to give up when I left my ex. It absolutely broke my heart.

Sojita, that's great!! Don't feel bad about the Main Street Ohio garbage... you can make it what you want it to be. You're very lucky to be getting such a great deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information