Thread: Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece house above the falls

Default Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece house above the falls

Fallingwater has provided enjoyment to many people over the years; as a stimulating weekend retreat for the Kaufmann family and their friends, as a source of pride to the architect and his associates, and now - cared for by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy - as an exceptional experience for visitors from near and far....

When Wright came to the site he appreciated the powerful sound of the falls, the vitality of the young forest, the dramatic rock ledges and boulders; these were elements to be interwoven with the serenely soaring spaces of his structure. But Wright's insight penetrated more deeply. He understood that people were creatures of nature, hence an architecture which conformed to nature would conform to what was basic in people. For example, although all of Fallingwater is opened by broad bands of windows, people inside are sheltered as in a deep cave, secure in the sense of hill behind them. Their attention is directed toward the outside by low ceilings; no lordly hall sets the tone but, instead, the luminous textures of the woodland, rhythmically enframed. The materials of the structure blend with the colorings of rocks and trees, while occasional accents are provided by bright furnishings, like wildflowers or birds outside. The paths within the house, stairs and passages, meander without formality or urgency, and the house hardly has a main entrance; there are many ways in and out. Sociability and privacy are both available, as are the comforts of home and the adventures of the seasons. So people are cosseted in to relaxing, into exploring the enjoyment of a life refreshed in nature. Visitors, too, in due measure experience Wright's architecture as an expansion of living. 1

Fallingwater opened a new chapter in American architecture, and is perhaps rightly considered Wright's greatest work, for he was first and foremost an architect of houses. In its careful yet startling integration of stone walls anchored to the bedrock and modern reinforced concrete terraces hovering in space, Connors states that Fallingwater may be understood as 'one of the great critiques of the modern movement in architecture, and simultaneously one of its masterpieces'. Yet we cannot help feeling that there is more to this design than even that; this is an architecture that seizes our imagination, letting us see space and habitation in ways that seem new, but which we simultaneously feel to be ancient, somehow fundamental to our human nature. 2
    Fallingwater is famous; from all over the world many thousands of visitors come each year to its remote site. What draws them? - a most unusual house in an exceptionally picturesque setting and something more, a reputation.
    In 1936, even before it was finished, knowledgeable people talked about this new work of Frank Lloyd Wright....
    After a time a consensus arose that Wright had created a masterwork that appealed not only to professionals but to the public generally. Fallingwater was not much like the earlier architecture that had made Wright famous; it was just as distant from the avant-garde styles of the 1930s, and surely like any popular "dream house." Yet now that Fallingwater has been tested by half-a-century of the widest exposure, one can say that it marks a high point in Wright's vast oeuvre, in American architecture, in the architecture of this century, and possibly in all architecture.

It reminds me of a place in the mountains that I stayed at as a child.

Canada baby!

I've seen this one before. Very cool.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

In the "D"

Indahood, AL

Love it with an absolute passion. I would have to put some rugs down here and there because that rock/mountainy floor was freezing my feet from here, though. Otherwise, it's a dream house.

one word : stunning. the exterior is perfection.

Smokin' with your baby

For me, it's the amazing level of detail that makes this house work so well. That and how beautifully sited it it.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

the salad bowl

awww, fallingwater has always been a favorite of mine. it is so well suited to its an extension of the nature which surrounds it. i admire the bold use of different textures. the cabinetry & all of the different built-ins are beyond impeccable. i'd almost forgotten about that awesome staircase bookshelf.

one of my favorite features of the house is one i don't see pictured here. it's this desk area. i love desks & especially desks that have windows nearby. this is the ultimate for me...

as much as i love this house, i doubt that i could ever live in it. it's a museum piece to me...a true work of art & absolutely timeless.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Central Duh-hio

It is like a little piece of heaven fell off and landed in rural Pennsylvania. A masterpiece and one of the best residential structures of the twentieth century.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

fellow traveller

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

This is perfection, especially the design and location of the outside. Truly a piece of art.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Thread Information