Thread: A contemporary Palo Alto residence offers a unique outlook on California living

Default A contemporary Palo Alto residence offers a unique outlook on California living

The massing of Asher Waldfogel and Helyn MacLean’s Palo Alto, California, residence “is complex and utilizes taut horizontal and vertical planes, clad in charcoal-gray Rheinzink, that extend beyond the building envelope, seamlessly moving from interior to exterior,” explains architect Steven Ehrlich. The front entrance.

Glass bridges on the first and second floors link the wings of the house, which was planned as a pinwheel.

Besides serving as the horizontal axis of the house, the concrete wall—roughly three feet thick—also provides space, in the family room, for built-in seating and display areas for the couple’s collection of ceramics.

Running past the dining room, a poured-in-place-concrete wall forms “the spine of the house,” says Ehrlich.

“Alternately grand and intimate, the interior spaces wrap around to frame a series of varied perspectives,” remarks the architect. The kitchen can be separated from the family room by a pocket door. Cabinets from Bulthaup.

In the master bedroom, as throughout, Ehrlich used mitered-glass corners and large sliding windows “to extend internal space visually and physically.”

AD 100: Steven Ehrlich: AD 100 Designers: architecturaldigest.com

looks like a hotel. Pass.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yep, there's something impersonal about it. I kinda like some of the built-in seating though.

I kind of like it.

A*O

Not sure why but I like the retro dining table/chairs. The rest is nothing spesh. The exterior looks better than the interior.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I like the exterior, but don't care too much for the decor, especially the staircase and the colors of the furniture. Just not my cup of tea.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

i love it minus the ugly arm chair and ottoman in the 3rd pic, and the leather sofa.

other than that, the design of the house is gorgeous. love the built-in seating and the wall of shelves. i'd change the artwork and a few things to make it more personal and 'lived in' looking but those are just minor details. i'm with a*o about the dining set - it's fabulous.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

LOVE the exterior design/architecture. HATE the furniture and the staircase:
    too industrial looking.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

i love this. great example of modern architecture. and i love the interior design minus the leather sofa.

i dislike the patio and swimming pool.

fgg

i love when you can push back the walls and fully open up the house like in the pic second from the bottom. i've always wanted that.

i've seen this place before...maybe in dwell? i quite like it! i especially dig that concrete wall in the living room area.

but, what is this white thing extending up the wall & onto the ceiling? i remember being puzzled by it when i saw this place before.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Elite Member

Love the patio and the pool - the rest is a little too industrial for me.

Thread Information