Thread: A laid-back hippy vibe at the new Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs

Default A laid-back hippy vibe at the new Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs

A laid-back hippy vibe at the new Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs

The new Ace Hotel & Swim Club (ACE HOTEL : Palm Springs) is a stark departure from the Eames chairs and kidney-shaped coffee tables that typically define Palm Springs' midcentury style. Ace rooms have a back-to-the-land hippie sensibility, with walls and windows covered in tent canvas. Much of the furniture, including the leather chair and industrial dresser shown here, is vintage. Like the design-centric Ace Hotels in Seattle and Portland, Ore., the new Palm Springs lodging displays some clever ideas that could translate to the home.

Inside the Ace Hotel’s rooms, walls are clad in slatted wooden panels. Unframed photographs and works of art on paper dangle on bulldog clips that are hung on simple S-hooks. "They can be moved around quite easily to customize the look of the room for each new guest or by each new guest," says Roman Alonso, one of the creative directors of the West Hollywood design firm Commune, which borrowed the idea from a common retail design.
    Inside the Ace Hotel’s rooms, walls are clad in slatted wooden panels. Unframed photographs and works of art on paper dangle on bulldog clips that are hung on simple S-hooks. "They can be moved around quite easily to customize the look of the room for each new guest or by each new guest," says Roman Alonso, one of the creative directors of the West Hollywood design firm Commune, which borrowed the idea from a common retail design.

Walls covered in canvas give the rooms a safari vibe. Here, an unfinished wooden trunk and a campaign-style table are complemented with a vintage school chair and a record player.

Each of the rooms at the Ace Hotel has different vintage pieces. “There is furniture from the ’50s through ’70s, but we are not being slavish to the midcentury modern look you expect to see in Palm Springs," says Ace founder Alex Calderwood.

An industrial dolly serves as a coffee table.

The Love light above the beds is a custom design by Robert Lewis, who has created products for IKEA. The adjustable fixture fits into the slatted wall behind the bed and two bulbs — red on top, white on the bottom.

Outside the shower, galvanized pipe fittings make for stylish alternatives to the usual towel hangers.

A suite at the Ace is furnished with a vintage wire and wood settee and club chair, kilim pillows and a period ceramic lamp. A cowhide rug rests on the cork tile floor.

Architect Eugene Weston designed this stackable stool in the early 1950s. It has been reissued and updated with a white frame and leather stool by the Silver Lake store Ten 10 in Los Angeles, and it’s found in every guest room at the Ace in Palm Springs.

This patio gets warmed up with kilim rugs, pillows and a gas fire. Citing one of Palm Springs’ foremost modernist architects and a 1960s counterculture icon, designer Roman Alonso calls the look “Albert Frey meets Timothy Leary.”
    A laid-back hippy vibe at the new Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs - Ace Hotel 1 - Los Angeles Times

They couldnt pay me to stay there...yuk
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Awful, plain awful.

Waste of money.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'd run screaming, seriously.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I do love this patio, but not the pillows or rug. It needs some tapestries!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Elite Member

It looks like a hospital in Haiti.

I like this

There is not one single thing I like.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

SVZ

eew?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I like this

me too.
    i don't like the rest though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i love the vintage pieces. the industrial dresser and the coffee table are drool worthy. i'm not too fond of the slatted wooden panelled walls. and i don't care for the patio.

Don't like it.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

There's no way in hell I'd pay to stay there. Eww
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Thread Information