Thread: Tiling project - anyone done one?

fgg

Default Tiling project - anyone done one?

i've decided that i want to tile the backsplash in my kitchen but i've never done any type of home improvement projects before. i was going to hire someone to do it but my dad said it isn't too difficult. i'm most concerned about cutting the tile to fit around outlets and to the size of the space between my counter and the bottom of my cabinets.

this is an example of the kind of tile i think i want - glass 1 x 1 mosaic tiles. my kitchen cabinets & counter are an almond color () but i can't change that so i want something mainly neutral but that will bring in bits of color to add some pizzazz. i'm off to look at samples today.

any tips/hints/things not to do?

I've only done a small area by the door. I know you can rent/borrow tile cutter. Just wanted to tell you good luck. The tile is beautiful.

oooh i love the 'sendai' one. with 'ohara' as a second choice. those would both liven up the counters and cabinets. the first one might make the whole thing look too brownish.

i've made mosaics before but it was for a tabletop and a few art projects, so those are all tile by tile, i think the ones you buy for backsplashes, etc. come in a big sheet so it's much easier. i agree with renting a tile cutter though. after that it's not too hard. a friend of mine just did a wall in the bathroom and she'd never done tiling before. she said she just went to the store, asked for instructions and wrote down what they told her, and that it's actually quite easy. the hardest part is keeping everything neat but that if you are very careful to be meticulous and not rush it, you won't have any messes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We tile. My husband does all the layouts and cuts and I grout. It's really not that complicated. You can buy a cheap wet saw at the home improvement store for $50, so you don't have to get worried about doing it all in a day.

We've only used bigger tile, so I have no experience on a 1x1. I would tell you to lay it all out ahead of time, so you know what problems you could run into and adjust things so you dont have to try and do it one they've been adhered.

If you get mastic on the tiles, (the layer that adheres the tiles to the wall) wipe them off the tiles ASAP, because if it dries, you can't get it off.

When you grout, no matter how many times you wash it off with the wet sponge, you still get kind os a haze. Let it dry somewhat then buff it off with a dry cloth, kinda like a car wax, then wet it all down again, and it should be good to go. Be sure to seal everything with a sealer.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I would be glad to help.

That Hida is gorgeous, i like the third too. Not so crazy about the one in the middle, unless you're going for cooler colors.

If I were you I would get extra tile. You can return anything leftover, but you don't want to have to go running back 2 or 3 times to get more if you run out.

The store will have a tile cutter you can use and a basic instruction card. The only other tip I have is what my dad always told me, "measure twice, cut once".

Grout is so much better than it used to be. You can get it tinted to any color you'd like and its not as messy as it used to be. And yeah, I second the let it dry a bit first and then buff it off. Its easier than wiping 8 million times.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hey Florida,

Tiling can be messy but the end product is bellisimo!
    Hub and I completely tiled our master bathroom, minus the floor.

You can get the tile in square format, (several in one).

Also, the caulking can be so annoying and messy but make sure you clean it off right away so you have no extra goop anywhere and a nice finish.

You'll have to post pics when you're done.

fgg

thanks for all of the great tips! i would love to get one of the types i posted but they are $25 per sheet (12 in sq) and i was hoping to find it cheaper. i'll definitely post pictures once i get everything done but it will probably be a few weeks.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I haven't done one for real, but i did take a free class at the home depot and it was awesome! they offer them there and it seems pretty simple if you do it right and with patience and quality materials.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    I haven't done one for real, but i did take a free class at the home depot and it was awesome! they offer them there and it seems pretty simple if you do it right and with patience and quality materials.
    i was going to ask at home depot if they were planning any tiling classes in the near future. i would definitely feel better about it if i had at least practiced before i started on my kitchen.

yeah practicing is a good idea and don't skimp too much with the materials i've heard (you get what you pay for)

Get this caulking edge tool. I always see it on TV and it looks pretty cool.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

you can practice on a board out in your garage a few times.

Thread Information