Thread: Lac Superieur residence, Mont-Tremblant, Canada

Default Lac Superieur residence, Mont-Tremblant, Canada

The boxy and containery appearance of residential buildings currently attracting accolades and attention is starting to get boring. However, simplicity, clarity and openness are qualities that continue to appeal.

While this is yet another house of stacked boxes, we cannot help but admire the vacation residence clinging dramatically to the sloping hill up in the trees of the Laurentian mountains of Quebec, Canada.

Locals, used to a more traditional ski chalet in this popular ski resort area, refer to the building as the cube, a name choice requiring no imagination. When the Montreal-based architectural firm Saucier + Perrotte won the Canadian Architect magazine’s Award of Excellence for this project in 2004, the magazine called the entry the Lac Superieur Residence in Lac Superieur, Mont-Tremblant.

Whatever the moniker, the house stuns with its elegant lines, stylish use of materials and lack of unnecessary distractions.

As it should be, the building’s real redeeming features reveal themselves inside. The views from the floor-to-ceiling windows provide all the visual stimulus you’ll need, and at the same time, demand a streamlined approach to everything else in the interior.

The boxy-cubey theme continues inside as do the color scheme and the lack of distracting materials. The residence is divided into three functional areas— sleeping quarters on the top floor, middle and entry floor for living and the lowest level for play.

Although the building looks like a disorganized corner of a stylish container-port it exudes a solitary, silent grace that allows the distinctive, four seasons of the mountain to provide the main attraction.

The building meets the criteria for a log cabin as described in the area’s design guidelines for recreational development yet, fortunately, fails to resemble a Tyrolean mini castle. - Tuija Seipell

thecoolhunter.co.uk

The views are amazing. In the first picture it looks oddly top-heavy. Overall, it's a bit jumbled and cold-looking.
    Last edited by Shinola; January 14th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

That looks depressing as hell to live in. No color, just drab white and cement. Also, i want a door on my bathroom thanks. I don't like taking dumps while my partner is around the corner sleeping.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Lovely views but cold looking. Must be really uninviting in winter.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

it looks half done. like they built the house and installed the basics. i'd have to come in and hang artwork and put in all the finishing touches, some colour.
    and i agree grimm, a bathroom door.

the actual architecture is fantastic though. i like it very much.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That is fugly beyond belief. The views barely make up for this atrocity.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That's just too damn modern and cold. Ugh.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I'd feel extremely uncomfortable, living that damn close to a slope....

this place is so dwell magazine.

while i love minimalist places like this in pictures & print, i seriously doubt my ability to live in a place *that* minimalist. i think it would be almost too heartless or something.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I love the Lac Superior area near Tremblant and there are many beautiful places there. This one is not part of them.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    The views are amazing. In the first picture it looks oddly top-heavy. Overall, it's a bit jumbled and cold-looking.
    ITA, spectacular views, very cold and industrial interior design. Soulless.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information