Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Post Office becomes first-class home

Default U.S. Post Office becomes first-class home

Geometric floor tiling and custom cabinets give the garden room a vintage look

A massive island anchors the 20-by-20-foot kitchen, once a mail-sorting area at the old Paintsville, Kentucky, post office. Glimpsed though the pastry case is a Sub-Zero fridge wrapped in cabinetry modeled after a vintage oak icebox. The Wolf range tucks into a tiled, arched niche

A new catwalk transformed an open area near the original staircase into a two-story library. The decorative molding was found elsewhere in the building, stripped, repainted, and installed as trim; the pedestal table was salvaged from the lobby. The ceiling treatment hides unsightly old pipes

The owner claimed the old postmaster's office as her own, keeping its stenciled, pebbled-glass door

The upstairs men’s lavatory—complete with janitor's sink, vintage toilet, and an antique Kohler shower fixture—still functioned perfectly. Belhasen didn’t have the heart to rip these out, so she kept much of the room, updating the sinks to create a modern vanity area

At Home | U.S. Post Office Becomes First-Class Home | Photos | Remodels | This Old House

I love it! Especially the kitchen & library. I also am glad she kept the old men's room intact. Wonder how much this little project cost her??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have read about this house before, and I like it, too. If I remember correctly, the woman is a doctor, and her father helped her with the project? I got the impression this was incredibly expensive. I saw some before pictures, and the place was pretty much gutted and nowhere near habitable.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

very cool! i almost always love repurposed buildings that are now homes. the decor isn't my style, but that's an easy fix.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I want the library!
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Not my taste, but well done.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Hit By Ban Bus!

The more I look at it, the more I become undecided about it. It just doesn't look "homey" to me, it's more "showcase-y", and somewhat cavernous. It's great for these people, just not for me.

I ADORE this house - it's perfect. I would live here in a heartbeat! Everything about it is just stunning, and I especially love all that dark wood.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    The more I look at it, the more I become undecided about it. It just doesn't look "homey" to me, it's more "showcase-y", and somewhat cavernous. It's great for these people, just not for me.
    I agree it's not very homey. I also recall that this woman grew up in the town where the post office is located and wanted to buy it when it went up for auction because she had all these magical memories of being in that post office during her childhood. So for her, it probably evokes all sorts of good feelings that other people wouldn't have.

We had a gorgeous old post office in my town, too, and when my mom needed to go there I got really excited about it. I still remember the smells and the sounds of it, and the architecture (white, columned, etc.).
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

^ I like it, for her.
    I really love the kitchen. I want a big island like that in mine.

what a charming house! i'd move in if she'd be okay with it and bring a carpet or two.

Well, I am floored by this place! Not so much by how much I like it, but more by the fact of where it is located. Honestly, I have been to Paintsville, KY and I am shocked, just shocked, that anyone there would have taste that is this refined, let alone the money to do something like this. I did a quick search and noticed that her family name is common in law offices and doctors offices in that town...big fish, small pond I suppose. The town itself probably has 10,000 people in it, if that. Aside from the obvious suprise, I do really like the space and the idea of doing a project like this.

This is kind of cool. It looks like a museum.

I think it is a beautiful building but it doesn't feel like home at all. I wouldn't like living there.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

I wonder if she ever has to turn anyone away who is looking for the real post office. I've seen several opportunities to purchase these old buildings, but wondered how 'secure' it would really be... Would people think they are still functioning public buildings and just let themselves on the property?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information