Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second life for a farmhouse

Default Second life for a farmhouse

Before

On the exterior, today, detailing takes cues from the “parent” home, still standing next door, and from traditional New England farmhouse style. These features include cedar clapboards and shingles, and window trim mimicking elements from the original 1834 exterior. Three dormers with six-over-six windows now top the home’s original core, though the roof was raised to fit them in

The adjoining dining room sat in a newer wing, and in it the design team saw a chance to work in 1920s hallmarks like built-in china cupboards, which frame paneled and arched pocket doors. The doors conveniently close off the adjacent kitchen when company comes

French doors along the kitchen’s west-facing wall provide access to a stone patio and a walkway that leads to the swimming pool, which is perfectly sited for sunset views over the property's five acres

An east-facing arched window in the bedroom invites the morning sun. The wood for the decorative rafters was reclaimed from other sections of the house

Exterior Before Renovation | Second Life for a Farmhouse | Photos | Remodels | This Old House

I LOVE IT! It's gorgeous.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^ agree

Nice!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That is beautiful!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

Wow. I love it. Of all the interiors of the houses shown here on GR, this one suits me best. The outside of the house looks a bit haphazard, though.

Love it

Interior is stunning...outside is a mess. I love the molding, the wallpaper selections, the countertops, the floors...all nice.

I love the interior, the outside not so much. I really love the kitchen.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    Interior is stunning...outside is a mess. I love the molding, the wallpaper selections, the countertops, the floors...all nice.
    I agree(although a bit too 'white' for me interior wise)..it does not even look like the building it was. Hell why not just level it and build a whole new place?

Why bother to restore if it ends up looking like a suburban McMansion in the end?

*I do see lots of beautiful old occupied and abandoned farmhouses in this area. I was expecting something like a 'restoration' or something I guess.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^^ I agree! There is nothing unpleasant about the house but it doesn't look anything like the original farmhouse.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

i love the kitchen, it is massive and airy and full of light.
    the rest is nice but too country and traditional for my tastes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

That kitchen is to die for!

Overall, I like it very much. I'm confused by the facade--is that "after" picture of the back of the house, or the front?

The reasons not to do teardowns of old houses are many. Houses are part of our cultural heritage. If they are salvageable, it's so wonderful to preserve them. Many of the materials used in them, and the level of workmanship, are generally not seen today.

I used to have a very old house. In many ways it was a bitch to live in. But the moldings, the redwood, the fir floors, the potato cellar (!), the barn behind ... those things could not have been truly replicated. It also would've been cheaper just to replace every window and redo the insulation and AC than to tear it down.

Sorry, I guess I'm on a soapbox today. I also work freelance for someone on architectural history books, and it's sad how many descriptions of important American houses of the past end with words like these: "The house was razed in 1952. Today the grounds are the site of a condominium complex."
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

i'm not such a fan of the outside, but the inside is just spectacular. my fave is the kitchen
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information